AUIII XR8 220KW Vs. BA XR8 260KW - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2003, 03:19   #1 (permalink)

AUIII XR8 220KW Vs. BA XR8 260KW

Well i know there has be a fair bit of debate about the new XR8's times and so on but whats everyones feelings about the comparison between the 220 AUIII and the BA? I feel as though the BA kills it in looks but on the other hand that the AU3 is a strong performer when you consider the Power it has.

I know that alot of people are probarly going to say that im a dickhead for bringing this up, but i feel as though Ford hasnt really gained that much ground by implementing these new engines when you consider what times the AUIII XR8 and T Series cars were bringing.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 04:12   #2 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

I dont think Ford had 0 to100kmh and 400m times as their main priority when they designed the BA. Refinement was more of an issue. I tend to like the look of the AU11 and 111 XR front end more than the BA as it is more agressive and different than the standard Falcon. The AU XR also has a nice IRS system in it but unfortunately the front end seems noisy at low speeds in hot weather. At least mine is and from what I have read on here over the past year I am not alone. That is my only complaint of the AU XR. The AU is a better car than has been reported over the years.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:12   #3 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

the AU XR sure had a ballsy 5.0 there which is only a fraction slower than the BA. But with all the suspension work the BA would be a treat to drive. I personally like the back of the AU XRs better than the BA XR, but the front of the BA XR is sweeeeeeeeeeet !!
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:17   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

After driving both theres not one thing I like better about the AU, exceptmaybe its weight.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:05   #5 (permalink)
goooone

When you sayb they haven't gained much ground from thew new endine remember most of the weight gain isn't from the engine so it would have been alot slower with only 220kw
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 13:12   #6 (permalink)
Spoolin' GT40

Re: AUIII XR8 220KW Vs. BA XR8 260KW

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGBADAU
I know that alot of people are probarly going to say that im a dickhead for bringing this up,
You took the words right out of my mouth. :s6: :s6:
esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 15:26   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Re: AUIII XR8 220KW Vs. BA XR8 260KW

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGBADAU
I know that alot of people are probarly going to say that im a dickhead for bringing this up, but i feel as though Ford hasnt really gained that much ground by implementing these new engines when you consider what times the AUIII XR8 and T Series cars were bringing.
Except that the 5.4 L is a far more flexable engine in terms of power outputs and gives us the edge on paper where they will make sales.

SS Commodore: 235KW/465NM
XR8 Falcon: 260KW/500NM

Now tell me which one would you pick purely from paper specs?

And like Holdens jurassic Ecotec V6, Ford were struggling to get anymore kilowatts out of the old 5.0L reliably.

So in my opinion they have gained PLENTY of ground. Do you really think Ford could have released the all new BA with the same ageing 5.0L putting out no more than 220KW????? I think not. A) the cars would have been slugs, and B) Ford would have been the laughing stock of the motoring industry and cop the same level of flack that Holden are for the aforementioned V6.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:02   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinno
I dont think Ford had 0 to100kmh and 400m times as their main priority when they designed the BA. Refinement was more of an issue. I tend to like the look of the AU11 and 111 XR front end more than the BA as it is more agressive and different than the standard Falcon. The AU XR also has a nice IRS system in it but unfortunately the front end seems noisy at low speeds in hot weather. At least mine is and from what I have read on here over the past year I am not alone. That is my only complaint of the AU XR. The AU is a better car than has been reported over the years.
...and to your average buyer, are 0-100 and 400m times really that important when you get to what the XR8 puts out? Is it really going to sway your decision when it comes to picking an XR8 over, say, an SS if it's a few tenths down a strip of bitumen you'll never experience <cough> on public roads?

The looks, styling, ride, image is alot more important and the XR8 has bucketloads of at least 3 so I'm also of the opinion that Ford spent money where it needed to be spent. Series 2 will most likely be lighter so performance comparisons against the Holden counterparts will likely be more favourable.. and when the Series 2 comes out I'll consider how viable it'll be to park my ass in one. Had a series 1 EF, learnt the hard way to wait for the next series after a big model facelift.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:12   #9 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I think the AUIII XR8 with the Rebel bodykit and 18' Speedlines or TS50 wheels looks classier than the BA XR8 and its kit. I'm not a big fan of that rear BA end. Hopefully Ford could revise that like they did with the AU. Nothing wrong with AU I back end, just in principle. I'd be waiting for the final series to come out before I'd go out and buy on. (If I could - dream on darkhorse)

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub