AV Falcon weight - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2001, 21:00   #1 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

AV Falcon weight

Lets liven this place up a bit! i think this issue on car weight of the AV needs in own section

i can tell you now that i have seen proof that the AV will weight considerably more than AU

yes the V8 engine may weight less but the addition of further NVH measuers (eg. bodyshell) and further equipment upgrades such as standard IRS and other features added to the car will mean a heavier, though far more refined AV
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2001, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

The motor article talks about the bare bodyshell gaining 40kg, not all that much heavier, then add the new lightweight irs to that and it will gain a little more weight, then add the alloy engine, that will be a little lighter, so we just have a slight increase in weight so far, from there the equpiment levels won't raise all that much, so not much of a weight gain there, but I would also think that lighter body panels etc so overall I do not believe the AV will gail all that much weight of the AU.

Some have suggested that it will be a large increase and that is why engine power is also increasing so massively, to keep the AV base model cars at least as quick as the outgoing AU bit i cannot see how the AV can gain so much weight that an extra 20 killowatts is needed to keep the car as fast as the AU was (i am referring to the 180kw base model engine rumor here) so we will either be dissapointed on base model power figures, or we will have a fat slob of a car, I know which one is more likely to occur in my opinion.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 22:56   #3 (permalink)

seems to be an industry wide problem at the minute.

All manufauctures are talking baout reducing weight, but whne the new models come out they all seem to be just that little bit heavier.

The fact that reducing weight means using expensive materials in most case, meaning it is hard to shave weight from base model cars without have to charge a price to do it.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 23:10   #4 (permalink)
RACE

I honestly don't think the base engine will have 180kw. That will more than likely be the low boost tubo option power output. The likely figure is 160kw. I read this somewhere which also said that all 6 cyl engines will be DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder. The DOHC part is where Ford might have a marketing advantage over Holden and even Mitsubishi at least in the short term.

When all is said and done I think it will be worth the weight gain to get a car that we will all be enthusiastic about.
Old 12-08-2001, 20:24   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

I honestly doubt the DOHC 24 valve head will be standard on every car. Simply because its new and untried, most large fleets don't like new untried technology, they userally like to sample a car for a few months and see how it goes.

I would think the 164Kw engine will be avalible standard for Forte, Futura and ute. Its a proven engine, and will help keep base car prices low. 164Kw makes it still one of the most powerful engines in its class.

I guessing the AV will be heavier in some models, however other models might be lighter or same in weight.

Weight reduction programs at ford will be most likely introduced once Australia Magnesium gets underway. Then weight will be reduced in steps up to 100Kg. And it doesn't upset safety nazis cause the power isn't being increased, the weight is being decreased. Hard to legislate or have news paper headlines about cars going faster cause they weigh less.

Even tho the engine may weigh less than the Windsor, it won't be by a massive amount. And I doubt the six cylinder engine will weigh loads less either.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 01:25   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Well, there goes my theory on the issue!! :s6:

Seems the floorpan changes have indeed added pounds, so what I was so vigourously saying before has all gone out the window! I'll have some ice cream and strawberries with that humble pie. :s5

Even so, if the goal has always been to achieve BMW levels of refinement, then a few pounds more for a world-class package is a small price to pay. The DOHC 6 will be a great thing, and a ripper in turbo form. For my money, the 5.4 will be more than enough to make the Barra the fastest Falcon ever :s3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub