AV GTHO V10 option - seroiusly, waddya u guys think? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2002, 01:07   #1 (permalink)
MadMax

AV GTHO V10 option - seroiusly, waddya u guys think?

Do you guys think it's necessary?

With all this talk about 7 litre CSV's, ls6's etc etc, i'm getting worried that the bar of dominant performance will always be raised by GM-H and always out of reach....

I personally think, and this is just my opinion, that the GTHO must dominate.

Why not a V10 option, as per herrod mustang?

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2002, 01:19   #2 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

That's a hard one. I'm all for the V10 option, but the government may not be. In the 70's, Ford was going to bring out the GTHO Phase V, with well over 310 kW. Holden was going to do the same with the Torana, but the gov't said no, and if they did, the gov't wouldn't go to Folden for fleet sales. Folden did the wrong thing by us, the right thing by the gov't, and didn't go ahead with it.
But these days, with wider tyres (they had tyres that I would feel unsafe riding my bike on back in those days), and all of this electronic tomfoolery, the high output is more acceptable, because it's safer than ever.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

it would be nice, but i would rather Ford reduce the weight of the Falcon by say, 10% than increase the power by 10%. that way you go faster, but also get better braking, less tyre wear, better cornering less drivetrain stress the list goes on...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

How 'bout we compromise and drop weight by 10% and increase power by 10%. Happy?
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 04:02   #5 (permalink)

I don't see the reason why Ford should not put a big Triton V10 in their car. In the old conservative days back then banning such a car was possible as Australia did not have any or 'much' fast car imports and the local industry dominiated the car market. These days if the government were to ban such a car here, they'd just go and buy a BMW M5, Nismo GTR or import a Ruf Porsche instead. I don't think they'd ban such a car becuase of this dillema. I heard BMW are going to put a V10 as well in their new M5. I sure hope they don't have that down right ugly styling from the new 7 series has.

If CSV are building such a 'super' car its fair that Ford should knock them senseless with a 440kw V10 4 door monster. I've heard only rumours about such a car but I hope Ford does go ahead. Such a 'hero' car would once more gain back some disenfranchised ex-Ford folks who left the blue oval after they canned the V8 in 83.

Kids and teenagers will no longer think Ford makes cars for just families and pensioners and car makers 'racers' as well. They have to ditch this stigma and by doing so will gain many new customers most of whom never thought of purchsing a Falcon before, simply because of a new image portrayed. Ford need something 'BIG' to steal the limelight from Holden and with such a car I think will achieve it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 18:57   #6 (permalink)

Stay with the V8 I say. Put a supercharger on the 5.4 for extra grunt and/or stroke it.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

I think it would make an excellent statement as a limited edition reintroduction of the GTHO but if it is to remain as a mainstream model then revert to V8.
Old 07-14-2002, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I think people got too carried away on a rumor that we started here for fun,
here are the issues as I see them:
1. I doubt the V10 will fit in the falcons engine bay
2. IF it did fit it would hardly help the chassis dynamics, it would be a huge engine which would upset the handling of the car
3. The stock V10 doesn't make all that much power from memory it's like 200 odd kw, but with a fair bit of torque, In a market like we have today people look at power figures of the cars, thats why holden does so well.
4. Due to low power output above they would have to Supercharge the V10, easy enough in theory, but I would prefer to see the GTHO keep true to at least part of it's heritage: a thumping big natuirally aspirated V8, not a supercarged V8, and certainly not a supercharged V10.

But in reality, GP knows what he is doing, he knows the market and knows what needs to be done to get back on top, and he is doing all he can to get us there, have faith :s5
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 19:27   #9 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Heck if I had it my way I would just get the W16 engine from the new Bugatti Veyron supercar and chuck it in the back of a Falcon ute - 900Kw & a 1000Nm of torque.

MMMMMMM
Old 07-14-2002, 19:43   #10 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut King
I think people got too carried away on a rumor that we started here for fun,
here are the issues as I see them:
1. I doubt the V10 will fit in the falcons engine bay
2. IF it did fit it would hardly help the chassis dynamics, it would be a huge engine which would upset the handling of the car
3. The stock V10 doesn't make all that much power from memory it's like 200 odd kw, but with a fair bit of torque, In a market like we have today people look at power figures of the cars, thats why holden does so well.
4. Due to low power output above they would have to Supercharge the V10, easy enough in theory, but I would prefer to see the GTHO keep true to at least part of it's heritage: a thumping big natuirally aspirated V8, not a supercarged V8, and certainly not a supercharged V10.

But in reality, GP knows what he is doing, he knows the market and knows what needs to be done to get back on top, and he is doing all he can to get us there, have faith :s5
1. It fits in a Mustang engine bay. They've had to accomodate a fat DOHC 5.4l in the Falcon. Should be possible, but I assume there's logistical problems doing it 'assembly line' style (from underneath the car).

2. Nothing a bit of clever aussie engineering can't fix. If they can put a Viper V10 in a PT Cruiser, it's again possible for Falcon.

3. That's based on the truck figures. The V10 in the Viper was an old truck engine. Nothing some good heads/manifold can't fix.

4. See 3. Very easy enough, see V10 Mustang burnout car.

Still, not likely but it's more feasible as a low volume hi-po special than you might think.

How would Holden/HSV counter a V10? No one was really worried about how much torque/power the first Vipers had, just having 10 cylinders and it's aggressive look sold it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub