AV Turbo Falcon Update - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2002, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

AV Turbo Falcon Update

Have any of you read the latest Street Machine Magazine?
Here's something I found....

"One of our spies recently got a good, hard look at the upcoming turbocharged AV 'Barra' Falcon, as predicted in Newsfront in our February 2002 issue. The heavily-taped up and disguised XR6 version was loaded with a manual gearbox (Holden's blown-six is auto only) and apparently boasted a fairly hefty intercooler. Better still, the hot word is that our predicted 210kW was shy of the mark. This example reputedly sat lower than a snake's belly and pumps out 230kW! Meanwhile, our mates at MOTOR recently published Photoshopped images of two AV models - Their XR headlight treatment looks like something off a Honda Integra. Spooky."

So... I guess that's the sort of figures we can expect from the Turbo-XR6. A little tweeking and that baby could really fly!!:s5
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2002, 15:44   #2 (permalink)

Turbo? Why would you buy a 6 with Turbo when you can can just get more cubes............ Remember the ole saying........"aint no excuse for cubes" BTW. yes I have had a turbo ride before. In fact I still own it, but thats another story.
SRV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 16:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SRV8
Turbo? Why would you buy a 6 with Turbo when you can can just get more cubes............ Remember the ole saying........"aint no excuse for cubes" BTW. yes I have had a turbo ride before. In fact I still own it, but thats another story.
1. lighter engine, which translates to better handling and lower weight overall
2. lower fuel consumption
3. higher performance potential than a NA V8
4. lower insurance premiums than NON-NA V8s

i guess all those Skyline and Turbo VL owners are all idiots for owning turbo 6s. imagine how many of those Skyline sales will go to Ford after September.
Old 04-10-2002, 16:04   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Turbo? Why would you buy a 6 with Turbo when you can just get more cubes............
Because you don't want to be like everyone else ?

GET INLINE
Old 04-10-2002, 16:50   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
I bet your turbo ride wasn't a 4L I6. The simple story will be that the DOHC turbo will be bloody quick in stock trim, but more importantly, it will provide a perfect basis for big easy power gains. It will also be cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, lighter, more economical to run, and potentially have less teething problems than the new 5.4 V8.

Can't go past forced induction for large % power increases. Great bang for buck. And yes, to an extent, there are alternatives to just "more cubes".
Old 04-10-2002, 17:02   #6 (permalink)

Beautifuly put boys :)
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 17:08   #7 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Damn, the Turbo XR6 news keeps getting better and better!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 17:15   #8 (permalink)

I wonder what the insurance is going to be like on these cars?

This V8 had better be good is all I will say
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 17:32   #9 (permalink)

I dunno fela's, lighter eg handling better, ok I can handle that. Quick easy increase in power, yea sorta. better fuel econ? when you start working the turbo it sorta just chucks fuel in the general direction & then it's as bad or worse than a V8. Have to fit a turbo timer to idle down ( or do manually) or big expenses later on. 96% increase in power, without doing other mods to hold it together (more dollars), expensive when it chucks a curly. Then of course you have the oh gosh I gotta change gears again to keep the revs up where the poke is & pulling loads eg towing, back to throwing fuel at it & more gear changes, all this just so you can go like a v8. Plus do the same mods to a v8 & hey I don't have to tell you blokes everything do I.

BTW. They do go like the proverbial clappers & it is nice hearing the turbo screaming its t*ts off. But there aint NOTHIN like the rummble from an 8.
Old 04-10-2002, 17:51   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle

I bet your turbo ride wasn't a 4L I6. The simple story will be that the DOHC turbo will be bloody quick in stock trim, but more importantly, it will provide a perfect basis for big easy power gains. It will also be cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, lighter, more economical to run, and potentially have less teething problems than the new 5.4 V8.

Can't go past forced induction for large % power increases. Great bang for buck. And yes, to an extent, there are alternatives to just "more cubes".
Mr Sparkle, you have undone me with your insight, you are correct my turbo is not a 4L I6. Though I believe the principles of Turbo's can be applied across the board & is irrelevant to the donk. ie make a 4 go like a 6 or a 6 go like an 8 etc. Why would Ford have less teething problems with the Turbo than with the the 5.4 V8, isn't it already on the market in the US & gone through it's teething problem stage, whereas the turbo is a new development of the good ole Ozzie straight six . & therefore untried in the field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub