BA engines in older fords - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question BA engines in older fords

I'm not sure if this thread should be in the garage, but I'll post it anyway. The engines of the Ba range are fantastic, but there's also no doubt that they're being blunted by the BA's weight. what dreamers like me want to know is how easy it would be to transplant a BA engine into an older, lighter ford. For example, the Barra 182 would be great in the likes of an EL XR6. Only weigh 1550kg (apx) and with a short diff would be a great package. Turbo would be better still of course, maybe in a lowered GLi for the ultimate sleeper. Or into a TF cortina for a total pocket rocket (Mod the suspension and brakes though). I'm sure there'd be enough under bonnet real estate for those engines to fit. Would you need the whole engine or could you just swap the heads? What block/bottom end alterations has the BA introduced.

Also, what about the V8s? Can the 5.4 be made to fit e-series or AU falcons? I'm sure space would be tight, but would it be possible, maybe with custom headers? I'm guessing the BOSS engine would be to hard to fit in those fords. However, as XA-XE's seem to have no problems swallowing a big block, you'd ahve to say a 5.4 conversion would be a snap. Now that would make a great street machine, an arrow straight wild violet XD with 17in Simmonds OM mags and packing a 5-speed 5.4 32 valve V-8. Brilliant performance and good fuel economy. You could cruise in it, take it to the drags or be very competitive in club circuit racing. What do people think?
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2002, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
one day.......maybe

i would love a turbo barra i6 in an EF XR6, and worked to at least 15psi
FordXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:50   #3 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

hmm DOHC I6 turbo in the EA, sounds like a damn good idea if you ask me
EAFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:13   #4 (permalink)
svoghia

I dont see why the I6 Turbo wouldnt fit in an E series car. i would even bet it would bot straight up. but the electronics would be the problem. there. totaly different computers etc,etc. Fly-by-wire. etc
Old 09-26-2002, 02:47   #5 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

Didnt the early FEUs have AU bodies with the BA engines?
These engines are pretty tall (5.4s) - i doubt they would fit into E-series vehicles (Not sure about others) But it terms of 'bolting straight up', well, i really doubt that. Its very premature to say so.
I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:49   #6 (permalink)

The engine block is the same - there are mods to the pistons, rings, gudgeon pin but apparently the cranks and conrods are the same.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Like what svoghia said, The elctrics would be the problem. Mechancially it would fit in pretty easily to an E-series car Id reckon, but all those bloody electonic bullshit, and youd have to find a loom to plug it all upto.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:39   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

You'd have to have an AU-onwards car for a Barra I6. The AU onwards cars have a cast sump, compared with the pressed steel sump earlier. The cast sump will cause clearance issues with the front crossmember on XA-EL Falcons, But if you are good at MIG welding, the crossmember can be relocated.

Have a look at this article to get more of an idea:

http://www.trueblueford.com/LeesEA.html
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:49   #9 (permalink)

hmm

Id just be happy with a std Barra 182 donk in my 88 EA GL. With that in my car and its much lower weight compared to a BA it would go like the proverbial .Though as someone said before fitting the motor/tranny/D-T may not be so hard, making computer workarounds for security,sensors and the engine management system would be a mongrel. It may be better wiring a aftermarket system such as a MOTEC but they cost a packet.

I can only imagine what a BOSS 260 V8 donk in my car , well it would be caught in permanent wheelspin !-lol
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:52   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally posted by discokin6
You'd have to have an AU-onwards car for a Barra I6. The AU onwards cars have a cast sump, compared with the pressed steel sump earlier. The cast sump will cause clearance issues with the front crossmember on XA-EL Falcons, But if you are good at MIG welding, the crossmember can be relocated.

Have a look at this article to get more of an idea:

http://www.trueblueford.com/LeesEA.html
Thanks mate, youve ruined it for everyone! :MUha:
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub