BA Fox Lamps - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2004, 14:18   #1 (permalink)
freelance

BA Fog Lamps

Ok guys and gals who is up to date on there road rules re: daytime use of front auxilliary lights.

My understanding of the legal use of is as follows but the only rule I find in the Aus road rules is lamps must not dazzle. That is kinda subjective and makes anyone using lamps easy picking for any plod with a low quota and a bad hair day.

In the handbook Ford call the bumper mounted lamps on the BA XR Fog lamps, on the VY the bumper mouted lamps are referred to as driving lamps.
Both are factory wired with the the parking lamps and operate independant of headlight beam.

Unlike the $40 plastic accessory specials hand screwed to the average ricer, the factory lamps on the BA XR do not dazzle(well its my opinion - subjective rule that one)

Driving a Merc Silver car, and particularly on overcast days, I like to turn on these lamps to be seen rather than to aid my own vision.

Is it legal to use a fog lamp when there is no fog?

has anyone been booked lately for improper use of lamps?

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 01-29-2004 at 14:54.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
freelance

Re: BA Fox Lamps

Umm that was Fog Lamps, Fox lamps are only found on tops of utes, and on range rovers in english counties.

My gaff!!!
Old 01-29-2004, 16:39   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

It's different from state to state. Following is a link to the Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information sheet for lighting:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...4A171BCD2A5F8F

Section 7.1 says you can have 2 additional pairs of driving lights which must be switched off when high beam is switched off, section 7.7 says you can have 2 fog lights which comply with ADR 50.

If Commodore SS/HSV lights are termed "driving lights" then they would not comply with this in Vic, even as "fog lights" they frequently cause dazzle. Apparently they can be aimed by dealers.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
{';'}

I find the higher-spec models (SS & Calais) from Holden have bad enough headlights in the first place, let alone their fog-lights. They change from purple-green instead of a consistent bright white as seen on BMWs and Mercs etc. Sorry to be off topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:28   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Fog lights are illegal to have on in NSW, unless there is "inclement weather" (i.e. raining or foggy).
Driving lights would be treated as high beams.

While it is possible for them to book you, if they are not dazzling (like most of the SS commo's do), I'd say they are more than likely to turn a blind eye to it (I'm fairly sure I've seen a cop with driving lights running during the day).

That said, its still a risk - like the dangly things from the rear view mirror . . .

Personally, they shit me - if you want to be seen, have your headlights on, otherwise, your being a ricer / imo . . . But each to their own . . .

Last edited by XR8 Lamah; 01-30-2004 at 02:31. Reason: typing, typing, typing . . . sheesh !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:35   #6 (permalink)
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Lamah
Personally, they shit me - if you want to be seen, have your headlights on, otherwise, your being a ricer / imo . . . But each to their own . . .
A ricer, man thats nasty! :>

Next time I run the fogs on their own, I'll have to rememeber to tilt the seat right back and load some doof-doof on the cd.

The way you called it is how I remember the laws but cant find anything written in the current rules shown on the NSW RTA site.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:08   #7 (permalink)

Just to throw one in the ring, by definition a "fog lamp" is actually yellow in colour. The driving lights on the Falcs and Commies would be useless in a real fog. The yellow light "penetrates" the fog whereas a normal light would not. Just a little trivia....

That aside, I prefer to drive with mine on, having a black car I feel it improves with visibilty not matter if it is inclement or not. Have driven past and along side many cops and havent had an issue yet. Call me rice, I dont care, but I'll continue to drive with them on. Be safe, be seen.
Old 01-31-2004, 21:25   #8 (permalink)

First off, the VY lights are FOG lights, not driving lights
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...005&catid=9999. I'd like to see where any holden handbook says they are driving lights.

NSW rules are fog lights only when adverse atmospheric conditions prevail.

And in no definition does a fog light have to be yellow, what is more important is the height of the fog lamps from the road way and the shape of the reflector
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:31   #9 (permalink)
347 cubic power!

Re: BA *Fog* Lamps

**RANT ON**
This is a pet hate of mine.

Irrespective of what the laws in each state say, people using fog / driving lights in suburban streets at night (and especially in the wet) are irritating to say the least. If the only way you can attract attention to your car and to yourself is to hinder the vision of other drivers, then you are an asshole and I suggest you catch the freakin' bus!

I really hope all you BA owners out there don't become jerks like your Holden SS / HSV comrades in this respect.
**RANT OFF**
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:02   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil CV8
First off, the VY lights are FOG lights, not driving lights
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...005&catid=9999. I'd like to see where any holden handbook says they are driving lights.

NSW rules are fog lights only when adverse atmospheric conditions prevail.

And in no definition does a fog light have to be yellow, what is more important is the height of the fog lamps from the road way and the shape of the reflector
Plus their alignment to a point ahead of the car that is not going to reflect the beam off the fog and back into the drivers eyes causing a "white out". If they can dazzle an oncoming drivers eyes in totally clear conditions then they are obviously not aligned for use as a fog light which is the issue that most irritates anyone not arrogant/stupid enough to drive any vehicle with them turned on. Unfortunately the biggest number of culprits are those behind the wheel of SS's and HSV's. Yes, Devil CV8, some stupid XR drivers are doing the same, the only saving grace is that Ford somehow manages to align their lights with the other driver's interests taken into consideration. Or is it that the inferior rear suspension of the V series can't keep the rear end squat incheck?

Last edited by Curls; 02-01-2004 at 04:07.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub