Which BA? NA XR6 or Ghia? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2003, 16:05   #1 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Which BA? NA XR6 or Ghia?

I was talking with the mrs over which BA we would choose when the time came to buy another car. And She likes the look of the Xr6 but refuses to let me get a 6t. On the other hand I dont mind the thought of F/Ghia with all the trimmings but not overly keen on the 45k price tag that it currently has.

Its come down to the pro's & con's scenario between the two models.

The problem is Im not sure what they are. This is where you come in. I need some helpful information and experience from people who have owned, driven or studied these models in particular, so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.

This is what I have come to so far:

Pro's
XR6 - sporty looking, FPV colours, sports suspension, optional premium sound, awesome sports interior, 17" xr rims, body kit.

Ghia - luxury driving, electric everything, premium sound standard, leather interior, premium colours, sports irs.

Con's
XR6 - Not a turbo, in standard form an bit drab power wise, not as many options as the ghia.

Ghia - heavier than xr6, poorer fuel economy, cost is higher to purchase.

Is there anything else you can inform me on?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2003, 17:33   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Re: Which BA? NA XR6 or Ghia?

While the XR6 N/A is a perfectly good car - can't slag it, I've got one after all - were the cost to be removed from the equation I'd probably go the Ghia every time.

If you discount the bodykit (and I include the lights in my definition there) there really isn't much to differentiate the cars mechanically. A slightly softer suspension tune and alloys 1/2 inch narower.

But when it comes to trim, you get lots of little things that you can't get on the XR6 N/A or are options only. For starters you get things like climate control & premium sound, power seats with extra functions, a rear armrest, leather (is it standard or optional?) rear power windows, reverse parking sensing, extra interior lighting, overhead sunglasses holder, rear boot lid carpet and trim etc...

I guess you need to decide if the little details are worth the extra price over the XR6. Some you can always buy from spares like I have and install on your XR6 yourself.

Also auto is standard on Ghia and a $900 option on XR if you want it. Wait for delivery is also proabably longer on the Ghia.

Horses for courses I guess.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 17:40   #3 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Yeah thanks for that JR. Dont get me wrong, I love the little extra features you get with the Ghia, but for an extra 10k over the XR6 it doesnt seem to be too appealing.

As long as the XR6 has at least elec. windows, cruise control and a few little preferences over previous xr6 models I reckon I'll be happy.

Can you tell me, what electrical features do you have in your xr6?
Old 12-15-2003, 17:43   #4 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Apart from the cost factor about the only advantage I can see for the XR6 is you can order it with a manual trans. In auto they're both going to be fairly slow.

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 17:49   #5 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Yeah Ive thought of that. But not looking at a pure power aspect and more the features, do you think its worth the extra 10k over the xr6?
Old 12-15-2003, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

You can get a 2nd hand I6 Ghia for high $30k bracket now, or a 2nd hand V8 Ghia for low-mid $40k bracket. I'd go the Ghia without any hesitation! Simply can't beat the class of the thing - LOVE that interior!

Some examples from this weeks Sydney trading post...

It's BLACK too!!

FORD FAIRMONT BA
Ghia 10/2002 5.4L V8 auto, climate control, power steering/windows, cruise, airbags, ABS, alloys, CD/stacker, leather trim, immaculate, NRMA inspected, $41999, YJT-269. DL-65. 589 Princes Highway ROCKDALE 02-9599 3699

Barely run in!!

FORD FAIRMONT BA
V8 Ghia auto, green, 16000kms, air, steer/windows/lock, cruise, EFI, ABS, alarm, airbag, CD, alloys, suit new car buyer, only 9 months old, $46990, ADF-29L. DL-17686 HORNSBY 02-9472 6600

Cheap as chips!

FORD FAIRMONT GHIA
BA 2002 auto, ice mint, steer/windows/lock, air, ABS, airbag, mags, CD, cruise, leather, adjustable pedals, excellent, YVF-438, $38900. "Refer back page ad for more specials". DL-17698 PARRAMATTA 02-9635 7466

Another stunner!

FORD BA FAIRMONT
Ghia late 2002 auto, grey, steering/windows, air, unleaded, EFI, ABS, central locking, airbags, 17in mags, CD/stacker, alarm, cruise, $39888, YQK-698. DL-17687. 17 Victoria Avenue CASTLE HILL 02-9680 4799

Last edited by Mr Sparkle; 12-15-2003 at 17:54.
Mr Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 17:53   #7 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Yeah Ive thought of that. But not looking at a pure power aspect and more the features, do you think its worth the extra 10k over the xr6?

you could have some serious fun on your xr6 for 10k!
Old 12-15-2003, 18:00   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
My thoughts exactly Falkeen. Its a hard decision to make but I will need to know so I can sort my finances out accordingly.

If I go the XR6, it would need to have the premium sound so I can get the Blaupunkt DVD upgrade kit for it. It will also need to have electric windows and cruise control.

They are the main features that are a must if I was to go that way.

The Ghia on the other hand I have seen for sale as low as 36k. So by the time the BA2 gets released, I assume that price will be lower again.
Old 12-15-2003, 18:05   #9 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalKeen
Spending 10K on the Xr6 would be pretty silly considering he could just get the XR6T in the first place. Just pop the turbo badge off before you get home and the Mrs will never know anyway!

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 18:15   #10 (permalink)

I would go the Ghia. Personally i would go a Black V8 like the one that sparkles posted.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub