BA questionable quality - gear lever - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2002, 23:20   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down BA questionable quality - gear lever

Hi guys,

Sat in my first BA today - it was an XR6-NA in black.

Outside & inside looked great although the seats were a little weird - felt like I was sitting on them - not in them if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I diverted my attention to the SSS auto transmission and though "great - let's give it a try".

As I pressed the button on the gear lever to take it from P into the +/- socket, the cone shaped plastic cover at the base of the handle came off to my suprise. The salesperson looked a bit sheepish but didn't say anything.

I just stuck it back up again and didn't say a word.

That just doesn't cut it guys in my books - very poor quality.

MavSS
mavss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2002, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Well they already built most of the car in mirror of the VT/VX Commodores, looks like they did right to the detail by mimicing the built quality of the ole commies!

I remember plenty of plastic bits that fell off the Berlina we had. Didn't stop them going hard and selling fast though!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
goooone

Yeah I think you will always get that kind of things in the early build cars at the holdne dealer in Parra there is an SV8 & the exhaust tips didn't line up with the cut out I thought the exhaust was missing till I climbed down low & noticed they had just completely missed the hole
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
BA at last

Did the gearshift vibrate against the plastic surround?
If not, I may not by one. I've become used to it in the VT wagon.

Seriously though, something I'll try my hardest to remember to check when I first sit in one. Won't stop me buying but makes for good haggling.
Superoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 00:03   #5 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Re: BA questionable quality - gear lever

Quote:
Originally posted by mavss
That just doesn't cut it guys in my books - very poor quality.
Right....so thats why you bought the Holden, of course. :)

Well I must admit I have piss farted around with the gear shift lever in every one I have sat in (about 10 now) and havent experienced the problem you speak of here.

Was it a registered demo? Some seem to have been knocked around a bit as they do the rounds of the Ford dealers.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 00:13   #6 (permalink)
T/Control for sheilas

give him a break, he is just telling us of his experience. It's not poor build quality. It just happens from time to time and that is why we have warranties with new cars. Someone I know with an E55 AMG, had the hazard warning switch fall off within a year of delivery. S#@t happens to all makes and models. Which I suppose questions the purpose of this thread.
Old 10-07-2002, 00:19   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

really..do we have to go into the Holdens are Worse routine?
If you havent got anything to say on the matter other than that then don't post and the thread wont get locked because of useless slagging
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 00:37   #8 (permalink)

I'll admit my 1 year old VXIISS has had a few niggling problems. A crack in one of the door electric window switches, misaligned pulleys in the engine bay, misaligned handbrake pads, just to mention a few and again these just were not good enough in my books. I took the car back to the dealer and although most of these took 2 goes to rectify, they were.

Sure the BA is a brand spanking new model & I always steer well clear of series I of anything if I can help it, but it's still a little deflating to see things fall off in your hand etc. It reflects poorly on the Australian car industry as a whole.

MavSS
Old 10-07-2002, 00:42   #9 (permalink)
Darkside Intruder!

Really problems like that dont bother me at all, it happens, no big deal, get them to fix it and be on your merry way.
VXLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 02:27   #10 (permalink)

Fair enough VXLS1 but I'm fussier.
Try this on for size. Listen to a VT/VX/VY? Commodore drive past at low speed & tell me how many times you hear a *shoosh* *shoosh* sound.
Amazingly enough, this is a known problem with the Commodore (& other models too I'm informed) yet it doesn't get rectified unless the owner brings it to the dealer's attention. I guess it doesn't pose any threat leaving it there but it's still distracting & causes unnecessary wear on the handbrake pads.

MavSS
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub