BA XR6 vs jap cars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2004, 23:39   #1 (permalink)

BA XR6 vs jap cars

i was wondering if anyone here has lined up their N/A XR6 against some of the older jap cars (i dont mean GTR skylines) ? my friend reckons his 1989 180SX CA18DET could beat my brand new ford... have people done this? if so what are the results? what other cars have the fords beaten?
gosha85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 23:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: BA XR6 vs jap cars

Why don't you challenge your friend, thats the only way you can find out for sure
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 23:53   #3 (permalink)

i will challenge him, but i just want to know if his tiny turbo engine will hand me my a$$ on a plate or if there is decent chance of winning...

btw my ford is stock, his nissan has exhaust/pod mods. but i still dont know if it is possible for a 15 year old 1.8L turbo to beat a brand new ford
Old 06-14-2004, 23:57   #4 (permalink)

depends if ur friend has a boost controller for hes 180. if he does dont bother trying to race him ur just get kicked. they run around 8 - 10psi stock and with boost controller u can push it to 20psi if needed. those engines can handle a shit load of boost without any mods. plus the weight of the 180 is prob around 400kg or more lighter then ur ford. power to weight ratio just doesnt cut it.
really its just an unfair race u cant pitch N/A cars up with turbo ones. specailly aus cars vs jap cars
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 00:03   #5 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Tell him to be a man and acquire a SR20DET.

Speaking of which, lets look at what was the modern day equivalent of his little grey import.

Lets take a s15 with the SR20DET. Arguably the best of the Silvias - stock, according to Motor, this car pulls a 6.34 0-100 and a 14.59 400 metre. I would certainly not expect a 1989 180SX to pull anywhere near that stock (ignoring the weight factors - which Im not going to get into).

A silvia site suggest for the CA18DET in the 180sx to run a 7.05 0-100 and a 15.08 400m, which would probably be about right, if not generous looking at what the s15 pulls.

Now the bad news is motor call a 7.23 0-100 and 15.28 400m, I think people on FF have been able to do better. Anyway, in my conclusion, it would be pretty much comparing apples with apples - although, whos got the better car in the end ? A 15 year old car won't have the same reliability, comfort and torque performance as the falcon. Infact, I'd be nursing a 15yr old grey import turbo very very carefully. Lets not forget that force induction cars tend to lose power the older they get.

So I'd say in a 0-100 the falcon by its car length.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 00:05   #6 (permalink)

wow the replies come in fast at this forum :) my friend has no boost controller. and yes i guess N/A vs turbo is an unfair match, in addition to which he has manual and i have auto. the other thing i forgot to mention is that the reason we have not yet tried to race is because my car is brand new and only done 500kms. which leads me to my next question, how long would one have to drive granny style before letting her rip? (i heard wearing in the engine is important)

thx all for replies
Old 06-15-2004, 00:14   #7 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Some guys on here let rip as soon as they get their car, others don't, its personal preference, I would be kind for the first 1000km.

Im assuming you 20 years old ? Also, you'd want to get to know your car too - you don't want to plant the throttle and light up $600 worth of Dunlops just yet - or accidently get it in a slide.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 00:33   #8 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

I have to disagree EAtom, those wussy Nissan motors cant handle much more than stock boost. They have a very nasty habit of melting pistons, I have seen several come into work with pistons that look like swiss cheese from running too much boost and too much timing.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 00:57   #9 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

480bhp is nowhere near 360rwkw. Closer to 290-300rwkw.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:35   #10 (permalink)
rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_au
A 15 year old car won't have the same reliability, comfort and torque performance as the falcon.
I take it you haven't owned an E34 5 series
but thats beside the point.

If that Nissan is a manual I'd go with it, providing he can drive. Auto NA BA 6s are too slow off the line, and will not get the rears spinning, even with brake torque, so theres no worries there.
rwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub