Back into the XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2004, 01:01   #1 (permalink)
AU Falcon Convert

Back into the XR6

Just wanted to know if others have been through the same situation as me.

We bought a new car (Mazda 3) purely to get me to work and back (204 km round trip). The Mazda is a great car and I love it so much I have driven it in preference to the XR6. Its a great drive, handles well and is a manual.

But today, I was cleaning the wheels of the XR (Has fresh Bendix Ultimates) when I stood back and looked at it and realised its a great looking car. Then I began to remember what a great drive it is.

So I went for a rip along some good twisty local roads and I am in love again. Its like having a new car!

I still have to drive the Mazda everyday and still enjoy driving it but am looking forward to the next XR6 cruise.

My point is has anyone else lost sight of their ride only to rediscover it??
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 01:04   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Back into the XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98AUXR6

We bought a new car (Mazda 3) purely to get me to work and back (204 km round trip). The Mazda is a great car and I love it so much I have driven it in preference to the XR6. Its a great drive, handles well and is a manual.

But today, I was cleaning the wheels of the XR (Has fresh Bendix Ultimates) when I stood back and looked at it and realised its a great looking car. Then I began to remember what a great drive it is.

So I went for a rip along some good twisty local roads and I am in love again. Its like having a new car!

I still have to drive the Mazda everyday and still enjoy driving it but am looking forward to the next XR6 cruise.

I have. I left my XR6 locked in the garage for almost 5 weeks last year. I just took the wagon everywhere as it was easier to get out and more practical at the time.
Then, one sunny morning, I finally thought I better take the XR6 for a spin to charge up the battery. I can say it has not been left for longer than 5 days (work trips) since then. I still smile every single time I drive it now.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:06   #3 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98AUXR6

All the time. I ride the bike most days to work. If it is raining I am forced to drive the Corolla. Then on the weekend I tend to use the XR6. When I give it some gas and listen to the exhaust for the first time in a week it always feels great.
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
Sideways..

I been catching the damn bus to the station ever since my car got broken into... and when i get around to actually driving places on the weekend or at night time, bloody hell its such a great feeling. Sure its not a psycho car or nothing ,, but just to be behind the wheel and that its THE BEST feeling. I dont know what i;d do with myself if i lost my licence.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 01:46   #5 (permalink)
AU Falcon Convert

Its great to get back into the nice car! I was dreaming of a lotto win tonight and getting it turboed, lowered, 6 speed etc now. Put a powerball ticket on just in case!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:21   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeap i have withdraws not driving mine for 1 week. On the weekends i clean the XR and after that i have to get out and drive it. It's true what they say, you don't know what you have until you don't have it.

Thats something i've noticed with the regular small-medium Japanese sedans, somehow despite they are so reliable and well built and do everything right, it doesn't seem to be the same as an XR Falcon.
I have no doubt that any late model XR's are destined as classics as time goes by. From the first EB S XR6/8 rightup to the BA XR they have represented good value and gave drivers that special something for a reasonable price.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:34   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Ive done the same, the EL XR6 was off the road for 2 weeks or so, and i was driving around my sisters Eunos 30X (clagger auto). Felt so good taking the XR out for a flogging, good to have the feel of really driving a car (manual)
Old 11-25-2004, 18:28   #8 (permalink)

It's been over a year now since I drove the Fairlane.

I can't wait!!!
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
The new one is here...

Theres nothing better than having two cars. I love getting into the EL after a week or so with the BA and visa versa. Both cars have completely different qualities and faults and I find that I enjoy driving each car a lot more if its been a while since the last drive.

EL2 XR8, White, Auto, Completely stock and the best looking Falcon ever built...
Citric XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:08   #10 (permalink)

Forced to re-discover the XB (see cant get a break thread), glad I havent sold it. Might have to drive it for a couple of weeks but its not as drivable as the AU. The XB is loud, lacks brakes, makes me steer, leaks water thru the roof. I sound like I am getting soft! haha
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub