CULDESAC, Idaho - This dog was having a bad fur day. The dog, whose coat caught fire when the owner's vehicle backfired, ignited a grass fire just off U.S. Highway 95.
Firefighters doused the grass fire and reported the dog was unhurt, only smelling of burnt hair.
"I have been in firefighting for many years, but I have never seen anything like this happen," Culdesac Fire Chief Gary Gilliam said.
It happened Saturday when a motorist who ran out of fuel put gas in the tank and then primed the carburetor. On restarting, the van backfired, throwing sparks into the cab and igniting the dog's fur.
A passenger let the dog out, and it rolled in dry grass, putting out the flames on its coat but setting the grass afire.