Badge Engineering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2001, 22:52   #1 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

confused Badge Engineering

With all the talk on how our Fords lack this and lack that, I think I've found another reason why Ford is lacking sales.

Badge Engineering. People see cars like the laser, escape, telstar (even though it's not on sale anymore) and such and see the cars for what they are. Mazdas.
The new Zoom Zoom campaign by mazda is seen as an uplifting kind of ads featuring sporty cars (which I think is very effective), which in turn makes the mazdas seem more exciting. People look in the Ford dealers and see cars like the laser, escape and such and say "oh they're just mazdas", which leads to this problem...

Ford in Australia has an identity crisis. The Falcon range (including Fairlane) isn't selling based I believe on it's stying, and the other cars in the range are seen as copies of another companies. You look at Holden for example. Yes their cars are badge engineered from Europe, however there is no other company in this country trying to sell cars that look exactly the same. Every mug punter thinks that they're all Holdens.

Whaddya reckon guys??.. :confused:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2001, 02:31   #2 (permalink)
EB Fairmont Owner

I see what you mean in the current line up but I can tell you that late 80's model TX3 and TX5 turbos are among one of the favourites for doing up amongst some of the young drivers - especially the 4WD TX3 Turbo!

What we need is the same sort of thing - a mild turbo on perhaps the new Ford Laser SR2 - that'd be the thing to lift the Laser and Ford's image above the Mazda SR20...

Or better yet bring in the Focus! :)
TickfordEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 03:22   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeah gotta bring on the Focus, a real Ford not a re-badged thing. I must admit i'm not keen on the re-badge stuff, thats why i liked the Sierra and T-Bird real fords. Even Mondeo.

The Focus will sell instantly, they should of brought the Focus intead of the Cougar.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 03:55   #4 (permalink)
EL Fairmont Ghia Member

Image and market abiltiy are everthing. If both these are done right your end product will sell...........

I remember attending the launch of the AU. I was sold, but then I have blue blood running through my veins. But my dad, he said, nope I don't like it, it ain't going to do well. He also took a swipe at the head marketing sheila of the time, cannot quite remember what he said.

But hell he was right, and Ford does have an indentity crisis. I mean coming in third behind Toyota and Holden sucks!!!

So what is the fix? I think Craig + Gibson are a start, but they need more than one car!, also the cars at the shows are nice, but why don't we build them??? Holden does! And why the constant catch up to them?

We need to gain the initiative. Instead of just responding to their moves, why not make some of our own. Have them copying of us, instead of the other way around.

Also we need to gain some decent media support. Piss Wheels mag right off. It is a rag anyway. All they do is have a go at our shortcomings and rant and rave about their Mits and Toyotas. Also that Glover editor of the Herald Sun, he makes me want to puke with his love affair with Holden!!!!

I am now ranting and raving on.......but alas I suppose I am a little pissed off. I better go......

Jas
VilkasMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 04:10   #5 (permalink)

Read Re: Badge Engineering

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Man
With all the talk on how our Fords lack this and lack that, I think I've found another reason why Ford is lacking sales.

Badge Engineering. People see cars like the laser, escape, telstar (even though it's not on sale anymore) and such and see the cars for what they are. Mazdas.
The new Zoom Zoom campaign by mazda is seen as an uplifting kind of ads featuring sporty cars (which I think is very effective), which in turn makes the mazdas seem more exciting. People look in the Ford dealers and see cars like the laser, escape and such and say "oh they're just mazdas", which leads to this problem...
I don't know if it's the case or not Ford Man..:?: It might be that up until now Ford haven't put any marketing into anything other than the Falcon, which means that people see adds for the Mazdas and not the Ford variant. Out of all the Badge engineering to come out of the 80's and early 90's, I thought Ford done the best of all manufactures to make their cars look different. And better in a lot of cases. I don't know the Telstar vs 626 figures but the Laser was the king of small cars back then and must have outsold the Mazda by a fair margin. It was the 80's Chick car like the Excel of the late 90's.
Rastus. :)
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 04:17   #6 (permalink)
Forever Ford Follower

Yeah, its not like FORD aren't tying at all.. They have brought the laser bck.. and its still outsells the 323 which Mazda aren't happy about.. the reason why the Tribute is selling more is cuz they have been here for 2 months more.. Talking to my friends, they are liking all the new advertising thats came out.. like the SR2 and they also love the radio ad with the Faclon ute "the drunk one"... its just somethign that takes alot of time... im sure that eventually we will get back to where deserve to be.. its just a matter of time...
XLR8_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 06:46   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I feel that ford has got too many cars in the falcon line up.

It used to be so simple. pick the car you want and then throw in the engine you choose.

Think back to 70's....
Falcon
Falcon 500
Falcon GT
Fairmont
Fairmont 500
Fairlane
Fairlane 500
LTD

Pretty much "pick an engine, any engine" for all models (except GT of course)
so simple.
Now nobody knows if the cars in the line up have class or power, they really need to work that out first i think.

It all died when they killed off the V8's. Then they bring them back, to a select few cars only. They have base model falcon, falcons with a bit of class, all the other falcons with a different badge to follow, then falcons for sport (XR's) and a POS GT. (I still dont know how anyone let them put that badge on those cars). Of course the fairlanes and LTD's were still there...everyone knew where they stood.

Dont get me wrong, Tickford are a great power to Ford, but I really dont think that they should be relying on an outside company. Why do they need tickford? They've built performance before, surely they can do it again.

Whatever happened to the godd ol' days where you could have a base model Falcon and have a thumpin bent 8 in it?

Thats just my 2c.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 14:53   #8 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

roll

Quote:
Originally posted by XLR8_2001
They have brought the laser bck..
But the public perception is that it's a re-badged mazda. They might sell ok, but there still mazdas. I thought Ford Motor Company had a controlling stake in mazda, not the other way around.
Going back through the 80's and such, the laser/telstar was seen as a Ford with the 626 and such as the badge engineered version. This sentiment has now flipped. I'd just like to see some real Fords on the road not twins everywhere. I'm mean for sh*ts sake, the SP20 and the SR2 have the same alloys wheels!! :thumbdown :fmad:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 16:13   #9 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Actually I think it was the other way around regarding the Telstar, people here in NZ regard them as just a Mazda 626 with a different name and has been like this since the Telstar was launched in 1983.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 16:29   #10 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

Regarding marketing at least Ford Australia is doing a better job now than Ford NZ.

I remember seeing an article in a NZ car mag about how Ford was going to launch a sales and marketing blitz behind their new products.
There was to be a comprehensive sales campaign behind these products with I think 7 NZ only TV ads. The ad I have seen the most is the XR8 ad which is show in both NZ and Aussie, I haven't seen any for the new Mondeo, none for the Ka, only a few showing the Ford range, stuff all for the new Laser, none for the Fairmont but there has been a few for the Escape though no where near the XR.

And the bit that pisses me off every ad that comes on during primetime (news etc..) is a friggen gay Mazda ad showing an ugly kid giving a window a blowjob or playing on a bicycle.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub