Bag of Nails ?. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2001, 10:26   #1 (permalink)
DrLargePants

Question Bag of Nails ?.

My XR3i has suddenly starting making a noise that sounds like some rattling a can of nails at about 3500 rpm, above or below this it sounds fine. i.e. you hold the revs at this point and you get a continuous noise. Any ideas what this is ?. Is it terminal ?!. Its a low millage car 56k, and the oil has been changed at the correct intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2001, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Is it at the bottom end? I'm not quite sure what you mean and I'm prolly not much help either and a car thats only done 56k miles it should'nt be an internal but things always hapen when they shouldnt so maybe it could be a bing end bearing?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 16:56   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

by the way, welcome to the board mate. I take it you are from england? try and spread the word about thiss ite and get as many poeple in. We gotta start somewhere. Just look how big our Australian bit it now....
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 14:23   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hey DrLargePants have you got anywhere with this. Without hearing the sound or the area it is coming from makes it a bit hard.This could be something in the tappet area or as simple as a bolt or nut coming loose and rattling .
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub