Barra GTHO vs Monaro - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 15:39   #1 (permalink)

Question Barra GTHO vs Monaro

If and when Ford decide to release a Barra GTHO do you think it will have the same hype and cred of the current Monaro?
I'm a pessimist (the glass is half empty) so I don't think it will. It seems nearly everything that Ford touches turns to mud where as everything that Holden/HSV touch seems to turn to gold. Sorry for the negative vibes, it's just my opinion.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
Crikey

H'mmm don't really know what to say about this. I think the media have a lot to do with any success, and GMH/HSV certainly seem to have preferred status in their eyes.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 16:22   #3 (permalink)

I think blurter has a point. Your everyday joe will be lead by what the media reports. It will definately be a hit with current Ford fans, but it all depends on how the media presents it that will determin how big a hit it is with the rest.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Depends - I think Ford have not had a great history with it's previous resurectted GT's ...

Remember - the Monaro hype began before anyone knew it would be a Monaro ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 17:33   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

For mine, I couldn't give a diseased goats bollocks about if it would have the same hype and cred.

If it is a comprehensively better car than the Monaro, (which it WOULD be), then that's all I require. As I keep telling a lot of my mates from the "dark side", image doesn't make a good car. (They always then bring up the sales figures etc. but I still have to remind them that sales and marketing don't mean the product is necessarily superior.)

Image is nothing, superiority in form and function is everything!
Old 06-25-2002, 17:51   #6 (permalink)

That's the point I was originally making Sparkle Man, Holden/HSV make products that aren't always up to the standard of the equivalent Ford product (not trying to turn this into a Holden bash) but still out sell us by a country mile (except utes but they're catching up).
Is it the power and speed of the Holden/HSV or the fact that HRT are winning on the race track or is it a "sheep" or fashion thing - "he's got one so it must be OK"?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 18:05   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle
For mine, I couldn't give a diseased goats bollocks about if it would have the same hype and cred.
Me either. The current T-Series are already acknowledged as a better equipped and better handling car so just give me more mumbo!
Then HSV can take their race wins and marketing hype and get used to the (redesigned) ass end of a Ford.

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

They WERE catching up in the utes - those much-maligned Lowndes/Ambrose ads boosted sales in the last month, and we stretched our lead once again - we even sold more utes than Magnas!
Old 06-25-2002, 21:07   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The Monaro was the latest in a long line of special Holden products. Holden/HSV put in the effort back in the '80s and throughout the '90s on making increasingly exciting cars (such as the VR GTS, VT II GTS300). They built up huge enthusiasm for their products, and then produced the right 'hero' car at the right time - the Monaro.

While I hope to see Ford succeed with its new models, I don't think we'll see another car as hyped-up as the Monaro for a very long time.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 21:57   #10 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

It alldepends on how they market the GTHO as to the way the Media promotes it. thats what HSV have done with the Monaro and it has sold like crazy, especially since its just a 2door commadore.
If the GTHO is marketed well (lets hope they Ford does it right) the GTHO will be much bigger than the monaro

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub