Barra influence on prices of new/used AU's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2002, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

Barra influence on prices of new/used AU's

Guys/Gals,

How do you think the introduction of the Barra will affect the prices of new/used AU's? Seeing that the AU will now be the ugly duckling of the current Falcons, and the Barra is supposedly *soooooo* much better, you'd think you could get some pretty good deals on brand new AU's in the Ford runout sales. My concern is that they will still command a fairly high price, say over 40k for an XR8 or high 20's for a base model Forte, then the depreciation will hit hard as the Barra hits the used car market. I can see used Barra's coming into the market for under 30k, which would see the AU's worth nothing in no time flat.

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a new or slightly used AU, but I don't want to fork out all my life savings just to see them flushed down the toilet by Barra. I see this as an opportunity to pick up a nice XR or Fairmont V8 for very little.

What do you think?
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2002, 16:57   #2 (permalink)

I'm guessing that initially used prices may remain steady with only a slight drop. As used Barra's start flooding the market 12 24 months from fleet & govt. sales the bottom will fall out of the AU market.
cvanxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 17:11   #3 (permalink)

As far as performance models go, the new models will cause some people to trade up sooner than otherwise. However there will also be a higher profile and good publicity which will rub off on all XR models so dont think that suddenly a 220kw XR8 will suddenly become too cheap.
Old 07-24-2002, 19:44   #4 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

supply and demand could play an issue in getting good deals on models such as the AU3 XR8. As they are out of windsor engines to put in them, there probablyh wont be the 'surplus' come Barra release time as some expect...

Falcon Good - Falcon Unbelievable
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:48   #5 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Also there were never in fact many AU's built, so that should help.

I think the VT's will drop in value as there are so many of them and they were just bought because these people didnt want AUs and now they should come back and try a Ford hopefully.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:18   #6 (permalink)
Australian AU 1 Futura Member

If you want a risk free deal on an AU - wait until 6 months after the Barra is released. That way most of the 'new model' induced depreciation should have taken place by then.

I suspect that demand for the Barra (which will outstrip supply for some models) may actually boost the resale of the few new AU3's left. I suspect there may not be a whole heap of those left over either - Ford has been doing it's home work and only producing what it can sell lately. Word has it that you can no longer order a new AU3 XR or Ute - if you want one you must take one from the stock on the floor already. Apparently the entire build of these models right up until Barra launch has already been sold.

Remember - and Ford knows this too - if the AU3 resale drops too much it will have an adverse effect on the new sales of the Barra making it harder for people with AU's to trade up and eventually dragging the Barra's resale down if allowed to go this way. Ford should be looking to boost the resale of these past few models and the AU3 with all of it's boosted equipment levels is a good start. And despite thier controversial looks - they are a damn fine vehicle for what they are.
Duggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub