best digital still camera under $1000 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 18:20   #1 (permalink)

Question best digital still camera under $1000

Need some advice from the camera buffs on a good all round package for the 1000 buck limit.

I am a newbie when comes to specs on digital stuff so any help is appreciated.

Deciding factors are: which camera brand has a good software package and also battery types.

I have not been able to find any decent aussie carmea review sites. Can anyone give me some sites to check out?

Matt.:s2:
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 18:35   #2 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

I could tell you the best under $2000 NZ - a Kiwi mag did review on the best in that price range.

:s6:
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

The best digi cam I found for under $1000 was a Kodak DC4900. Brillient camera and 4.0 mega pixel so excellent quality.
I was a bit annoyed with it to begin with is as it didn't have the custom features my old Dc3800 had but it takes such a brillient photo I never need them.
cannon make a great camera to.
Old 02-10-2003, 19:01   #4 (permalink)

my mum got a kodak easyshare, not sure what model it is but its only 2megapixel and the images are really really good. It doesn't have the nice features such as optical zoom, but its not a top of the range one. It only cost ~$300. This included all the computer software for transfering pics.

for $1000 you could get a really decent camera. In a recent computer mag (its an australian pc user i think) they did a review of cameras, pros and cons.

But just have a look around. You'll find a good one.
Old 02-10-2003, 23:35   #5 (permalink)

Nodd
, the girl and I purchased a SONY DSC P7 3.2 mega pixel , for $900 advertised for $979, its the goods , its small,easy to use , you get a 32mb card which holds about 150 odd shots in low res, 5 diffrent types of pic effects in movie mode as well ie B&W,Solar,Sepia,etc,

And my fav bit it takes excl mpegs(movies) with the card I can get about 18 min + of time sound and all ,it plays everything back on the screen with sound , works well on M/bikes to when clowning around!
Software is OK pretty easy to install.you get Album storing options and Mpeg/pic effects tools etc
Battery is good last a whole weekend away if you dont keep watching yourself on the replays.
Im no pro with this stuff but its simple dude point and shoot .

daz
Old 02-11-2003, 01:17   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Here's a couple of sites that do digicam reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com <- This is a damn good site!

http://www.steves-digicams.com

http://www.dcresource.com

I have the Sony DSC-S85 but it's around $1,500 so I won't bother recommending it! Best of luck dude.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:21   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Fanatic
I could tell you the best under $2000 NZ - a Kiwi mag did review on the best in that price range.

:s6:
Tell me please, I'm planning on buying within a week or two.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:03   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by EL XR6
Tell me please, I'm planning on buying within a week or two.
I don't have the mag (It's called FFWD), but from memory the Fuji and the Canon PowerShot G3 were top, if you didn't care so much about capturing video the Sony DSCP9 was just as good for stills (overall a half a star difference) and I didn't pay much attention to the other 2 or 3 as I was mainly looking at the Sony camera. I already own a Sony Handycam and want to keep as fewer types of cards etc as possible!

Will see if I can have another look... Or buy the bloody thing! Good mag.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Noddy:

I have a Canon Powershot A40 and have been very impressed with it. Its a 2 Megapixel camera with plenty of features (3X Optical Zoom, Movie mode with sound, auto and manual controls and plenty of other features). I paid about $750 for mine (about 10 months ago). However it now can be found for around the $600 mark (at the website I list below). IMO no other camera, for the same money, has as many features or can produce as good quality pictures as the A40 can.

My rule of thumb when buying a digital camera was to spend as much as I could afford. If you have $1000 to spend on a digital camera then you should be able to get a camera with more Megapixels (I.e bigger pictures) than the A40. Generally with digital cameras you get what you pay for. More Money = Bigger and Better Quality Pictures.

The other thing to take into account when buying a digital camera is accessories. Most cameras only come with a small amount of memory (E.G a 16mb Compact Flash card - good enough for about 16 pictures on my camera (on the higest quality level). This isn't enough storage for most situations. So I brought a 64mb CompactFlash card to use as well (Holds about 64 pictures on the highest quality mode on the A40) This was about $70.

The A40, like most digital cameras under the $1000 mark, doesn't come with a case so I also bought a nice case for it another $40 to add on.

The A40 uses 4 AA batteries however digital cameras go through AA batteries like LS1's go through oil (Sorry I couldn't help it). So you really need some decent rechargeable batteries. I paid $50 for a battery recharger and 4 1600 rechargeable batteries (from the place I brought the camera from). I then brought another set of rechargeable AA's from Dick Smith so I always have a fresh set of batteries to use. On average I get about 100 - 150 pics from each set of batteries. That includes using the LCD screen all the time and uploading to the computer.

So when you add up the accesories you are looking at another $180 that has to be factored into the cameras price. Once you factor these accesories in (none of them I could do without) the A40 basically becomes an $800 camera not a $600 camera. Hence with each camera you look at work out what extras you need to buy for that particular camera.

In regards to where to find information on digital cameras, I found the best thing to do was to read plenty of reviews on digital camera sites. The sites I used were the same as mentioned by 3Toed. Of particular note is http://www.dpreview.com however all of those sites listed are damn good resources when looking for digital camera information and reviews.

Personally I found the best place to buy digital cameras, in Australia, was from a place called Dirt Cheap Cameras - www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au. I found they were much, much cheaper than anyone else I could find (over $100 cheaper than retail price on my camera when I brought it). Their service was also first class and I had the camera within 2 days of ordering it. I can't recommend them enough, very impressive indeed.

One final piece of advice, don't rush into buying a digital camera. They are very complex and there are alot on the market. Subsequently you need to take plenty of time to understand which camera will suit your needs best. It took me quite awhile (well over a month) to learn about and decided which digital camera to get. However I have been extremely happy with my camera which made it well worth waiting for.

Sorry this post has been so long, however, hopefully it will be of some use. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:32   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for that Ford Fanatic, I'll grab a copy today
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub