Big car accidents support - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 16:46   #1 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Big car accidents support

Guys I was wondering if anyone has had a big car accident and would not mind talking about it here?Maybe theres some issue that we could talk about to help healing.The reason I am starting this thread is because at the beginning of the year (january)I got smashed from behind by a semi trailer and then he got hit from behind by another semitrailer further on to me and into the car in front ..I must confess,that unless you go through something like this that you cant understand it..I know that there must be some people who maybe be having a hard time and if you want talk about it...lets...I know the feeling ...You are cruising on your merry way when wammo you get hit..But the rudest shock is the level of activity you cannot go back to after and the pain.....
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2004, 17:21   #2 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Re: Big car accidents support

A big bit of bad luck there mate, hope you get better soon.

I nearly killed myself when I was 19, and killed my ute in the process.

Now that I sit back and think about it, it was probably the event that changed my life.
I have finally got myself another ute, but it made me realise that these things can happen & you don't think about all the things you would or should have done until it's too late.

It even lead to my relationship at the time splitting up, I became very moody and irritable, and I still have trouble dealing with it today.
I find myself not being able to relax, or be 'normal' with other people, especially females and this has resulted in no more relationships for me.

The sad part is, people always say that 'they understand what you're going through', but the fact is they just don't.

Since that day, I have done what I wanted, when I wanted, but this attitude is probably a bit selfish.

The other night a bloke I knew got killed when his plane crashed, and this only further re-inforces the fact that you should look after number one and make the most of what you've got.
Plus you should not take things out on the people closest to you or you will lose them and regret it forever.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but I feel a bit better now, so thanks.
I hope that this thread helps you to deal with the change in your life too..

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 18:04   #3 (permalink)

Hi. Yes, well it does well to talk about it. By the sound of it you sustained some enduring physical trauma? Well I have not as such, but certainly an ongoing morbid fear of being struck again, because when it has happened once, then you truly realize how easily it can occur. What should really be a pleasurable experience becomes a phobia– at certain times anyway. I always feel a level of anxiety prior to a long road trip. I keep remembering what my brother remarked about Australian coutry roads on a particular visit, as he has lived in the USA for several years. He can't believe the narrowness of many roads and the speed allowed on them. But even around towns, most noticeable lately, are impatient drivers, tailgaters and weavers. I have had two significant rear end collisions and one T-Bone impact. The recollection in slow motion of the inevitable impact is chilling. I spoke in a post last week about having developed a wide-scanning approach to driving, with both the big picture and the close detail covered at all times. I'm not sure, is that part of what they call defensive driving? Anyway it helps me: allowing for distances, times and conditions. I also strongly believe that whenever a significant road smash is recorded, detailed information about the cause and circumstances as well as the blame apportioning, whether it be human or physical, should be made public as part of a wider education campaign for road users. Having said all this, I agree with you, once involved in a bad smash, the memory and nightmare of it is there to stay- always. Maybe talking about it like this takes it out of the mind and out into the open, which is a healthy approach. Looking forward to more detail about your experience and others.
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

When I was really little (to little to remember) our old Econovan (88 model) got rear ended by a 4 tonne open-bed truck (you know those ones that sometimes carry a single car on the back?). From what I've heard, the truck's bullbar was smashed into the radiator, and the van, aside from the rear bullbar being bent a bit, was fine.

One I do remember was when I was about five, driving with my parents in our then 1988 Toyota Corolla.. getting rear ended by a 1975 Corolla. We were in the turning lane off Walgrove Rd to Great Western Hwy (for you Sydney folk) and some idiot was also looking if cars were coming, but didn't have his foot on the brake. Hit us from behind, I was in the back seat, was a light impact, but I remember how far forward it threw me and how I hit my head on the back of the seat. Had a headache for days. Car accidents, even at low speeds, are not something you want to have to participate in, ever.
Old 08-17-2004, 19:42   #5 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
A big bit of bad luck there mate, hope you get better soon.

I nearly killed myself when I was 19, and killed my ute in the process.

Now that I sit back and think about it, it was probably the event that changed my life.
I have finally got myself another ute, but it made me realise that these things can happen & you don't think about all the things you would or should have done until it's too late.

It even lead to my relationship at the time splitting up, I became very moody and irritable, and I still have trouble dealing with it today.
I find myself not being able to relax, or be 'normal' with other people, especially females and this has resulted in no more relationships for me.

The sad part is, people always say that 'they understand what you're going through', but the fact is they just don't.

Since that day, I have done what I wanted, when I wanted, but this attitude is probably a bit selfish.

The other night a bloke I knew got killed when his plane crashed, and this only further re-inforces the fact that you should look after number one and make the most of what you've got.
Plus you should not take things out on the people closest to you or you will lose them and regret it forever.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but I feel a bit better now, so thanks.
I hope that this thread helps you to deal with the change in your life too..

Ed :)
Gee mate we are a world apart but beleive me when I say we are one!!!!
I know what your mind is going through....I too have this attitude of looking after number one and I have been not giving a crap about the general public in my business especially after the accident..but then there are a few people who I still help out.I wasnt even supposed to be there..but I went to doa bloke a favour .for his motor bike..It took me 6 months to face him and tell him what happened when I left his place ...and he laughed at me ..prik....Iam one the top phone installers in Sydney with experience since 1991.Iknow how good I am andthe impact I can have on the market if Ipull my finger out ...but I have to say I dont have time for ballbusters or timewasters!!!I have been doing kung fu for 2.5 years and havent been back since the accident in January..I know this sounds selfish ..but today I looked back at my achievements over the past 13 years..and realised that I have achieved alot in my time..Somewhere inside i feel the lull of burning fire still wanting to e unleashed!!!In my computer room I have put up posters of motivational material like ROCKY....and some remittance notes of the top money Iused to make...and somehow I beleive that we are very down underdogs just waiting to come back in bloom as it were..Well despite all my pain...despite the fact that I may have suffered a degree of brain damage I am going to pick myself up mentally and physically and be the magnificent champion I have been and will be again!!!!Dont you give up on life bro dont do it...Iknow that its hard and I know that people wll doubt us ...but I have come to realise that half the battle is standing up on the inside and giving it your best shot!!!I have faith in you!!!!Have faith in yourself!!I dont beleive that god put us here to wallow in self pity!!!I want you to close your eyes and imagine that jesus is in front of you and reaching for your hand to lift you up again!!!Hold that thought for a moment and revell in your mind that he is really there.!!!Feel the power..feel it!!!Now today I want you to go out and do soething good .Just one thing and at the end of the day write it down.Lokk at what youve done and ...feel good about yourself>..you deserve it!!!IM gonna do it....Lucky we have this forum and ive found an outlet/hobby to get my mind out of the pitt!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 19:50   #6 (permalink)

I agree with 100% Zoltan, in that after an accident, you have a new-found respect for the dangers of driving.
At the end of last year, i had a head on with an out of control EA. The crash in itself wasn't that bad for me (driving a landcruiser, i got away with bruising), but for the Falcon driver and passenger it was a bit more serious (cuts/bruises/broken ribs/whiplash etc). What really scared me was what could have been; I don't drive a 4WD for protection, but i imagine i would have been a pretty serious state if i was in a lightweight (like the VK i drive 20% of the time), especially since i would have been going a fair sight quicker (i was going about 20 round the corner, due to the load i was carrying). I'm just glad i caught the tow-truck home, not the ambo.

After the accident i shit myself every time i go round that corner (anyone know the near-hairpin on stintons lane, warrandyte?), i can feel my heartbeat rising. My driving since has become alot more defensive and sedate, i'm more vigilant, i allow more space between myself and other cars, and very very rarely exceed the speed limit considerabely, especially on single lane roads (as opposed to 3 lane highways). Compared to my immature approach to driving (had my liscence for about 4 months) before the crash, i'm a grandpa now.

I can only imagine what participants in more serious crash's go through, it frightens me to think about it....

I know, not what u were looking for useless, i just thought i'd share....

-Stu :)
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 21:26   #7 (permalink)
AUPS Member

Well Ive been in two very bad accidents. First one with a friend who was driving an XF, he went head on into a tree. Whole of the front end of the car was gone! Ever since then I dont like driving with people and whenever people start to go alittle fast it freaks me out abit still. Second one I did. I wrote my EB XR8 of into a tree. The car hit the tree on the right hand side where the fender is, if it hit alittle further up where I was driving I wouldnt be hear. Every since both these crashes I dont really like driving and being in cars with other people but Im starting to get my confidence back, in time I should be confident again :)B

But ever since the second crash Ive had a different attitude to life, I see the world much differently now, I appreciate everything and I try to be a much better person. But theres no way to describe what its like to see two trees come at you and hit them, its the most surreal feeling in the world and you know your f***ing alive!!!!!! and no your life doesnt flash before you and things dont slow down, you just hit that tree and feel the almightest of pain! The impact feels like its sucking the life out of you.
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 23:52   #8 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheahman
Well Ive been in two very bad accidents. First one with a friend who was driving an XF, he went head on into a tree. Whole of the front end of the car was gone! Ever since then I dont like driving with people and whenever people start to go alittle fast it freaks me out abit still. Second one I did. I wrote my EB XR8 of into a tree. The car hit the tree on the right hand side where the fender is, if it hit alittle further up where I was driving I wouldnt be hear. Every since both these crashes I dont really like driving and being in cars with other people but Im starting to get my confidence back, in time I should be confident again :)B

But ever since the second crash Ive had a different attitude to life, I see the world much differently now, I appreciate everything and I try to be a much better person. But theres no way to describe what its like to see two trees come at you and hit them, its the most surreal feeling in the world and you know your f***ing alive!!!!!! and no your life doesnt flash before you and things dont slow down, you just hit that tree and feel the almightest of pain! The impact feels like its sucking the life out of you.
Iknow what your saying here ..it isvery sureal...just as when i looked in my rear view mirror as my back boot station wagon was being crushed!!!But one thing I NOTICED is that ....the moment seems to be be in suspended animation.That split second seemed to last forever.Im not sure if you guys experienced that too?
Old 08-18-2004, 00:02   #9 (permalink)

[/QUOTE]After the accident i shit myself every time i go round that corner (anyone know the near-hairpin on stintons lane, warrandyte?), i can feel my heartbeat rising.[QUOTE]

I know it. That's a pretty deadly bit of road. I had a bad prang along that road heading for Research. Came a cropper comming out of an s bend just after the Milne Rd turnoff, lost it bigtime, overcorrected and straight into the rock embankment. The car was an old Valiant and was crunched bigtime, I copped a bit of chest bruising and that was it, or so I thought. About 7 or 8 years later I started having heaps of back trouble which I still have. I'm convinced it stems from that accident. The wreck was towed back home, no insurance ($400 shitter). The following day, don't know why, I got back behind the wheel then I freaked out, got the flashback. This prang was 18 years ago and I still feel the effects of it today. It was all my fault driving too fast in bad weather and being young 'n' dumb. Sometimes I'll give myself an uppercut when I think about it.

I got cleaned up again 7 years ago on Bell St in Pascoe Vale, another very lucky escape but it was 100% the other guys fault which made this much easier to deal with.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 00:04   #10 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

One thing that I will never forget untill the day I die is the night before my accident..I had the baddest nightmare of my life!!!I dreamed that I was being seperated from my wife and kids.It was like I was looking at them through a glass window..it made me feel sick in the stomach..it was like I was getting a divorce and no one ..not even my kids could look at me or even see me!!Then a man appeared in my dream who looked like a blacked out criminal from those current affair shows and he said to me that he was really sorry for what he had done but he unfortunately had to do it..I said to him that if myfamily really wanted me ..their choice that i would not be going anywhere....in my defiance..i was gonna give this guy HELL!!!!At that point I woke up in my sleep and my little boy was in y bed..i touched him and he was cold..i put my hand on his nose and couldnt feel his breathing I shit myself and shook him..luckily he moved.After that I could not sleep..In the morning I told my wife what i dreamt and she gave me a big hug and said it was only a dream!!I went to work and told some of my customers about my dream ..they said it was awfull.Later that afternoon I had forgotten about my dream and on my way home I had the major accident..I would not be putting myself on the line by putting this on the net but it really happened that way...since then I really beleive that god was with me in that car..and I was delivered from death..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub