Big Decision time.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
2004 Fiesta LX with air-con and either 16's or a body kit 25 65.79%
2000 Mondeo ST24 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37   #1 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Big Decision time..

Ok while this isn't big money for some, its huge for me as im still in uni for another 3 years or so and I only work full-time during the holidays.

I have narrowed my next car down to two. Either a 2000 Mondeo ST24 or a brand spanking new Fiesta LX with a few extras.

Now this is where my issues start. I would love to own a brand new car and I cant help thinking that the fiesta is a smart choice. It is amazingly fuel efficient (6.6/100) and to me, looks pretty sharp. I will be looking at getting either a full bodykit or the 16' wheels and definatly air-con ($2000 HOLY HELL!). I would love to get both the wheels and kit but the bank isn't going to stretch that far. It has 74 tarmac searing Kws but only weighs about 1035kgs. I think torque is in the 125Nm region.

I test drove a fiesta the other day and it is pretty gutsy to be honest, handles really well (went allll the way around round-a-bouts, hehe). Although the engine sounded a bit rough, it could have been that the demo had been thrashed a bit im not sure (i did redline it a couple of times to see how it went if you know what I mean).

But then my heart (and the little rev head in me) wants a nice unique car. Ive always liked the ST24's as you dont see many and from everything Ive heard/read they are awesome. Fuel economy is really good (8.8 hwy, 10.0 city). Power is good at 125kws and torque isn't to shabby at 220Nm from a 2.5 V6. They look good and have heaps of nice gadgets in them. When new they were going for around $35k, now they are about $15k-22k. They are not slugs either, easily accounting for commy and falcon 6's.

Please dont say get a falcon as I have done that. And yes I know both are FWD. The next Falcon I buy will be brand new!

Long post I know. Sorry. So what would you do? I like both cars alot.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 01:46   #2 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Re: Big Decision time..

Almost identical engine from the Mondeo ST sits in the Tx5/626 - same specs, just built in japan rather than europe.

You could pick up a fully optioned 95 model for about $10,000, least it would keep some kitty in the bin for later.

New car will depreciate to the buggery mate, at our age, Id only be concerned with second hand. I know the fiesta would be a good choice, but will you really be happy with it ? I had a rev head/wheat friend who went cafe late and bought a barina city, it was a good car, it got around, but it just wasnt him. He sold it a year later for a turbo diesel Hilux Surf. Go figure.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 02:23   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Fiesta. Looks better, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, and it has a future model life (unlike the mondeo).

Like dave though, I'm a little hazy on buying new . . . If you are happy with a small front driver, you have heaps of other options second hand - even if its not a ford.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:44   #4 (permalink)
'bargearse'

Fiesta got good reviews in article I read on weekend, beaten only by new Mazda 3. I hate buying new cars as they de-value SO fast. mondeo was a very good car made in Germany, if thats any Good?.......If you can wait 6 months and buy a demo or stick with something 2-3 years old. Nothing like the smell of a new car though! Have you looked at the deals for the ol' laser run out ?
auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:54   #5 (permalink)
Mr 3D

Mondeo's look sweet IMO, so I would go one of those.
2.5" Redback Exhust
WADE 1004-112 cam
XH Snorke
3.27 LSD
Sipheren07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 04:04   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_au
Almost identical engine from the Mondeo ST sits in the Tx5/626 - same specs, just built in japan rather than europe.
Yeah I did notice that. But I thought that cosworth had a little input with the euro version, or so I read somewhere.

Plus a tx5 is pushing nearly 10 years old now. I would like a newer car than that to be honest.

hmm poll is 50/50 at the moment, so that isn't helping the situation..lol

But I would like to hear from anyone that has had some experience in either cars.

Cheers.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

well I own the said tx5 , manual, v6 blah blah blah.....

Mondeo will cost a fortune for parts, the 2.0L were pretty awful, the 2.5L was a short run in Australia, I think it was out for less than a year if memory serves me correctly, you might have trouble finding the one you want; hence also, you might have trouble finding non-OEM parts for the engine, Im not sure of the compatability between the mondeo and the 626/tx5, Probably find they changed it just enough to be completely different.

I wouldnt worry about limiting yourself to fords, there are plenty of good fwd cars ou there, even if its not a ford, worry about the blue blood later in life (Im going to be disowned for saying that)

Last edited by dave_au; 04-05-2004 at 06:05.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 17:14   #8 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Lamah
Fiesta. Looks better, cheaper to run, cheaper to insure, and it has a future model life (unlike the mondeo).

Like dave though, I'm a little hazy on buying new . . . If you are happy with a small front driver, you have heaps of other options second hand - even if its not a ford.
No brainer here, what XR8 Lama said but include new car warrenty, parts availabilty, and better build quality.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 18:31   #9 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

I'm saying fiesta ONLY because it'll be cheaper to maintain.
Since the 'deo is a euro ford the parts will cost an arm and a leg
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 18:59   #10 (permalink)
R.I.P Dimebag

The Fiesta... looks good, cheap to buy and run plus it should hold it's value better than the Modeo after a few years
Devil_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub