Biggest ever smash in NSW on the F3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 22:37   #1 (permalink)
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy

Biggest ever smash in NSW on the F3

Hey guys- wondering who heard about and/or saw the massive accident on the highway on the Moony Moony Bridge last friday...
For those of you who havent heard- 1 person was killed and 9 injured in a 35 Car pile up when a semi-trailor with brake failure ploughed across the moony bridge with a Holden Rodeo's back tray wedged under its front bumper- I saw the whole thing from start to finish, including the accident which occured not long before it (consequently) slowing down traffic with people who wanted to yell obcenities or watch...
The first accident occurred about 4:30Pm, Friday afternoon when a Toyota hilux with trailor in tow was driving in front of us, slowed for the decent across the bridge- the trailor began to wobble as he slowed and my mate backed off the throttle, before we decided to over take past him, and just as we sped up, the trailor when crazy, my mate backs right off and the trailor swung out and the momentum pushed it across into the median strip concrete wall- this slowed down traffic in both lanes (keep in mind that this bridge its about 6 lanes wide) and as a result the massive pile up occurred about 10 minutes later as my mates and I were talking to emergency staff- the most chaotic thing I have ever seen- we have photo’s to show the whole thing- hopefully I will have them posted soon…
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 23:24   #2 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Re: Biggest ever smash in NSW on the F3

I've been hearing about it everyday on the radio. They confirmed today that the truck which crashed into the stopped cars was unregistered/uninsured. Apparently he was coasting down the hill in neutral, ran out of brakes and couldn't get it back into gear.

Terrible.
Old 10-25-2004, 23:47   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

expect speed cameras and also a speed limit reduction there now.
not that these were the cause but thats what'll happen now.
interesting to see the pics as i only heard it once on the news as i was walking through the lounge but havent actually read or sat down and watched anything about it.
Old 10-26-2004, 00:35   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
expect speed cameras and also a speed limit reduction there now.
not that these were the cause but thats what'll happen now.
interesting to see the pics as i only heard it once on the news as i was walking through the lounge but havent actually read or sat down and watched anything about it.
Dunno about the speed cameras, the accident was caused by a dodgy truck and stopped / extremely slow moving traffic. Even if he was doing 110kph, by the time he went for his brakes, it was too late. Mind you, our beloved state government has never been bothered by facts or logic when it comes to justifying the installation of new cameras.

I was a bit shook up by that accident, I had nearly decided to travel up the freeway that night, and by my estimates, I would have been VERY close to the accident zone at the time of it. Consequently, I have purchased a lotto ticket!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Rollcage Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle
Consequently, I have purchased a lotto ticket!
Maybe i should try that :) after almost being wiped out by a trailor, im feeling pretty lucky too :-P
Old 10-26-2004, 02:52   #6 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

I travel that stretch of road many times a week, tis certainly nothing unusual to see a truck overtake you with a great plume of smoke eminating from the brakes travelling down into Mooney Mooney. Granted that the vehicle was uninsured, unregistered & by the owners very admission, unroadworthy to be on the road the day of the accident there are a few other interesting questions that need asking....
Firstly - the weighbridge, that was operating on the day of the accident, had allowed this vehicle to pass unchecked. ok it's possibly too much to expect that they pull up each & every truck that travels that stretch of road - however they DO have camera's that were set up prior to the olympics that allow them to monitor number plates of vehicles traveling past...
Secondly, a few weeks prior to this accident, another occured with a semi trailor that resulted in damage to the 'catch fencing' lining the bridge(Mooney Mooney is 72m high bridge, 3 lanes each way) Since that time, the powers that be, had lowered the speed limit to 90kph (I assume to permit repairs to be affected) This lower speed limit has caused NUMEROUS near misses that I can bear witness to as the speed limit is posted as you come around a right hand bend only 1-200m before the bridge itself - WAY too late for a fully laden semi trailor to slow itself down, especially if the driver has been giving the brakes a hard time during the rest of the decent. This lower posted limit also means that some drivers that are naturally picking up speed(which dissapears quite quickly on the climb up the other side anyway) suddenly jump on the anchors, with those behind closing quickly.
Todays paper puts the figure at 1 52yr old lady driver killed(in car that was incinerated) 11 injured & 36 cars damaged.
In some ways I'm certainly glad I was off taking photo's elsewhere (though I was also somewhat nearer then I'd like to be to another incident)
"Fat men cannot run as fast as thin men, but we build most of our vehicles as though dead weight fat increased speed.......I cannot imagine where the delusion that weight means strength comes from." - Henry Ford.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:16   #7 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulos
Firstly - the weighbridge, that was operating on the day of the accident, had allowed this vehicle to pass unchecked. ok it's possibly too much to expect that they pull up each & every truck that travels that stretch of road - however they DO have camera's that were set up prior to the olympics that allow them to monitor number plates of vehicles traveling past...
Its been a while since i travelled that bit of road in a truck but : I believe they use "weigh in motion" sensors in the road, when they sense a overloaded truck they flash all trucks to enter the next weigh bridge, that truck may not have been over weight, i have been south bound heaps of time with steel out of Newcastle and can tell you that there is plenty of steep grades where you are constantly on the "jake" brakes to keep your speed down, as well you are on your service brakes and believe me, if you come up on an accident like on Mooney Mooney whilst doing 100kph it will take you a good 400 metres + to slow down, and most likely your brakes would have been cooking before hand, so regardless if the truck was roadworthy or not a perfectly maintained truck probably would not have been able to stop either !
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

HSV_KILLA, got those pics up yet? I only saw the local paper's pic this morning for the first time which showed the mangled excel which burst into flames killing the Gosford woman - Looked so much like a movie scene, thats how bad it was. I drove across the mooney mooney bridge yesterday and could see some feint skid marks all over it, ive been told that they were pretty big but had faded quite a lot since Friday evening.

I remember a few months back going across the bridge in my sister's Patrol and there was quite a lot of wind which totally rocked the car. Quite scary I tell u. I did see some "Bridge speed limit" sign yesterday but didnt quite see what the limit was coz a car was in the way, so I just did what everyone else did (probably going over the limit anyway)

Get the pics posted up mate...
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 19:36   #9 (permalink)
Movin!

Driving a truck in neutral down a hill is just bloody stupid! For those who have driven one with a load on board you frequently need the wheel brakes, exhaust brake and engine compression through downshifts just to slow down, let alone stop!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:36   #10 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

its called angel gear for a very good reasion
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub