This bloody search gizmo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2003, 23:50   #1 (permalink)
Beastmaster

confused This bloody search gizmo

Has anyone ever tried to search for keywords on the forums and come up with "search too short must be 4 letters"

Well that makes sence, I cant this of anything that I would ever search for that had less that 4 letters.
Oh hang on, how many letters in XR6.
Or GT GTP XR8 VCT TE TS TL AU BA EA EB ED EF EL .............

Such is life...
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 00:13   #2 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

thats what the wild card is for i think

I.e: if you want GT you type *gt*
*el* *ef* etc

please correct me if im wrong

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 00:40   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

well unless you are willing to pay for a major upgrade on the server we are not going to be able to provide 2 letter searches. Do you realize that would include words such as:

it
if
is
in
im
pm
ok
of
so

as well as the car models.

Then there is the 3 letter words. By enabling the 2 letter searches it puts such a load on the server to locate in every thread such comments of EA, ED, EL, XR etc. that it actually brought this server close to its knees with a load of over 180. You realize this not only affects you but the other users as well.

if you were to search every post with EA you would still come up with posts that were not even relevant to what you were wanting.

There is a reason why we created the icons with the vehicle names...ie.... EA, ED, EF, EL, BA, XR...etc That was to ease those that have to look for or want to look for posts containing information on them.

Like I have stated above if you are willing to drop a chuck of change on another server just to handle the MySQL processes for that sort of search I will be more than willing to take it and install the 2 letter word search. BTW this server is a Dual MP 2100 with 3gig of ram. It would have to be a minimum of a quad Xeon with 4 gigs of Ram.

Sorry, but i rather have the site up and running than crippled because folks want to search by car model.

John
Owner: FordForums.com
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:18   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah and then there is the fact that most search engines will include yEAh in the results.
This sort of thing will make the server bust a gut with every search as The Man with the Beast said.
Oh and congrats to moving towards the light on your new car purchase John. Now all you need is a Falcon GT!
Old 02-08-2003, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Well i have put in more memory we have now 4 gigs and i am going to try it for a while. if it slows down the site i will remove it.

WE now have 2 leter searches. Also I would recomend that if you have issues with a certain car that you put that vehicle icon in the thread as well. You can do this when creating a new thread.
Old 02-09-2003, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Well 2 letter searches proved to be a bit of a strain on the server. We have put it back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub