Bluey's Dilemma - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 15:37   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Bluey's Dilemma

Hey guys,

Im having a few issues with the whole car thing at the moment. The way the situation stands at the moment is that I own an AU1 Forte with a few mods. This car will be paid off by xmas and will then belong totally to me instead of the bank. Now i have always had big plans for this car, engine work, custom interior, custom kit etc and would still love to go ahead with them and keep the car for a few more years once it has been done up to the way i want it. Lately however Ive been drewelling (sp?) over an XR8, which i would love. The main issue here is that to buy and XR8 once the Falcon is paid off would just put me back into debt after finally getting out of it. What do you guys think would be a better option, seriously. Im only 23 but would soon like to start saving for a house so going back into car debt for another few years isnt too attractive. I could also spend some good money on the Falcon and make it an absolute monster, redo the interior with leather and all the little comforts (thinking something like dropping a Ghia Interior in, with a few custom bits) and chop and changing a custom kit up to make it a one of a kind over the next couple of years. What do you think guys?

Cheers
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 15:56   #2 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Re: Bluey's Dilemma

How much do you want a V8? It could be a better base if you want to do it up like you want to. Making the 6 go hard is an expensive road to go down whereas the 8 already has ample power.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Personally, I'd be saving up $6,500 as fast as I could and going to CAPA to get an S/C kit for my AU Forte if I were you. No point going into another debt so soon, unless you really can afford it. Just make the Forte nice.
Old 08-10-2004, 16:40   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I would keep the AU, not because of the 6 VS 8 cylinders thing, but because it's still a late model decent car.
The only real advantage you will have with the V8 is the extra power, however you can easily and cheaply have your I6 going as good, and handling better.
You can have your AU running mid to low 14's (or better) for less than 5k, and your engine bay will look standard.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

yeah dont be fooled by all those wasted engine displacement (tm) boys!

Making a six isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It probably cheaper than doing up an 8 anyway, then you have the lighter weight to boot.

The lure of a V8 is very big indeed, but the only difference between an 8 and a 6 is the sound and low down torque. Both of which can be fixed. Stay with the AU I say.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Stay with the AU, its still relatively new and the engine is pretty good anyway. Slap a turbo on and youll be beating those V8 boys. Trust me, the urge to buy newer and better cars never ends.

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 19:54   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

I think you answered this one yourself =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAU
Im only 23 but would soon like to start saving for a house so going back into car debt for another few years isnt too attractive. I could also spend some good money on the Falcon and make it an absolute monster, redo the interior with leather and all the little comforts (thinking something like dropping a Ghia Interior in, with a few custom bits) and chop and changing a custom kit up to make it a one of a kind over the next couple of years. What do you think guys?
You've got a good car already that will serve you many years of reliable transportation plus you can mod it to boot. An 8 would be tempting, but maybe wait until you have a house or add it onto the house loan?

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 20:48   #8 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

i say keep the AU for a bit, at least enjoy being out of debt for a little while hehe, i thought you had it all lined up to get an XR8 by your 25th b'day??
Sub on the way!
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 20:55   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah I did but im impatient LOL
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 16:12   #10 (permalink)

Brad, I'd say make the 6 go harder.
Put the interior mods aside for a bit, and the kit and spend the money on the engine first. Slap on a blower and you could be 'blowing' away most V8s anyway.

If you're serious about it, let me know and I can get you in contact with someone.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub