Bottled Additives.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 16:14   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Read Bottled Additives..

Guys, Girls..

We all know those 'bottled additives' you can get, usually cheapo stuff ('Australian Export' comes to mind). Fuel Injector Cleaner, Stop Smoke, etc..

My question is: Are these additives generally regarded as an advantage? Or are these things just downright crap, and possibly harmful to an engine (or whatever) ??

Does anyone have any actual knowledge on these additives that we could all be informed about?

Thanks

-Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 19:43   #2 (permalink)

I put some of that Nulon Injector Cleaner and Octane boost in with a tank of petrol a while ago and it made a bit of a difference. Prior to this the car had been running on 98 octane Optimax and Synergy 8000, which is supposed to clean the injectors and has higher octane anyway.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 13:01   #3 (permalink)

I put some Export Stop Smoke in my 78 Suzy ute (of unknown mileage) and it worked, but I would never put any oil additives in a good car. It also had a small water leak, and that Bars Leaks (with the glass beads in it) worked a treat. I have used this stuff twice and it worked both times, but this was on old clapped out cars, not daily drivers.

Here is a horror story:
http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2002/20020405e.html

cheers
Old 04-03-2003, 02:57   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I suggest upper cylinder head lubricants (eg Redex), fuel injector cleaners (no more than every oil change) from reputable makers are fine. Stay away from oil additives unless the engine is dead anyway; they tend to harden valve oil seals and mess with other seals and gaskets.

As an aside, you can even be unlucky with well known brand names. About 10 years ago I had a problems with one of my cars (LC Lancer) that kept dying on momentarily from fuel starvation on the road. Eventually, after replacing all the fuel lines, pump etc) I found the top seal (just ansparent plastic bit of a seal made of cardboard, foil and clear plastic) from the spout of a well known brand of injector cleaner in the fuel filter inlet all rolled up. When I dropped the tank I found around a dozen of these seals in the tanks (and getting them all out of the labyrinth in the tank took a whole weekend and I drove around for the next few months with my fingers crossed). I assume that something went wrong at the factory when the container was sealed and this chain of seals fell into the container before sealing. The RAC suggested that it might have come from a service station that had water in their tanks and had added some additive by the same maker letting the seals fall in the tank. However, if so I think the filters between the storgae tank and the pump nozzel would have caught them Who knows; but now I watch very carefully when I pour anything in the tank.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiblue

As an aside, you can even be unlucky with well known brand names. About 10 years ago I had a problems with one of my cars (LC Lancer) that kept dying on momentarily from fuel starvation on the road. Eventually, after replacing all the fuel lines, pump etc) I found the top seal (just ansparent plastic bit of a seal made of cardboard, foil and clear plastic) from the spout of a well known brand of injector cleaner in the fuel filter inlet all rolled up. When I dropped the tank I found around a dozen of these seals in the tanks (and getting them all out of the labyrinth in the tank took a whole weekend and I drove around for the next few months with my fingers crossed). I assume that something went wrong at the factory when the container was sealed and this chain of seals fell into the container before sealing. The RAC suggested that it might have come from a service station that had water in their tanks and had added some additive by the same maker letting the seals fall in the tank. However, if so I think the filters between the storgae tank and the pump nozzel would have caught them Who knows; but now I watch very carefully when I pour anything in the tank.
Damn. That sucks.
Did you approach the company of the particular 'additive' to see if it was infact their machine, process, deliberate employee damage, etc that was to blame?

-Dean
Old 04-04-2003, 07:15   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The RAC suggested I would be wasting my time and would find it hard to prove the source so I didn't bother. Besides I was just grateful to have it solved after several months of stuffing about.
Old 04-05-2003, 16:18   #7 (permalink)
Still A New Member

I used Pro-Ma oil additive in my old EA wagon,after every oil change, it stopped the lifters from rattling, kept them lubricated.

Cheers

"Keep NZ Tidy,Trash A Holden"
Fairmontcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub