Bracks budgets for fast cars - $483 million from police fines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2003, 17:15   #1 (permalink)

Bracks budgets for fast cars - $483 million from police fines

Not that NSW is much better, but I'm glad I don't live or drive in Victoria. This was in todays Australian newspaper editorial section:

Quote:
Bracks budgets for fast cars

IN finding new and ever more devious ways to extract money without appearing to raise taxes, the Victorian Government excels. This week's budget includes income of <b>$483 million from police fines up 25 per cent on last year</b>. Most of these collections will be for speeding and other driving offences. Achieving the projected budget surplus of $245 million now depends on police tax-gathering. And with <b>estimates that two in three drivers will have to be fined to hit the target</b>, Victoria's police have their work cut out for them.

But there is an unpleasant ambiguity in the Government's plan. Police Minister Andre Haermeyer has previously stated he welcomes lower revenues from speed cameras if it means lives were being saved because motorists, fearing fines, had slowed down. Figures released just days before the budget show that the minister's hope is coming true, with 70,000 fines generated by speed cameras in March down from 86,000 in November last year. For a Government committed to cutting the road toll, the river of revenue Treasury eagerly anticipates can be nothing more than a lucky by-product of its core commitment to making the roads safer and one which will rapidly evaporate as better driving reduces the cash flow. But by budgeting for an increase in revenue it seems the Government is expecting the police to catch more of the state's already better behaved drivers. Whatever the Government says, it looks like the focus is on making money rather than reducing the road toll instead of the other way around.

For a deterrent to work it must be recognised as real. This means that Victorians should be told the general location of the reported 40 plus new cameras. They will work it out anyway and if the Government is more interested in reducing road risk than making money, there is no reason not to publicise their location or make public who decided their location and why. And yet when The Australian asked the police officer in charge of traffic, as reported yesterday, for the number and locations of speed cameras, he declined to comment. Nor would his pol itical masters, claiming that to tell people where speed cameras are will reduce their deterrent impact. So it will except, when publicised at black spots with high accident rates, as a direct tactic to force drivers to take care. The Government should announce the locations of cameras and the reasons for placing them there. It might reduce the budget surplus but it would demonstrate that it is targeting dangerous roads, not drivers' wallets.

There is a have your say section on this story at the bottom of this page:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E7583,00.html
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2003, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
Blue Blood

2 out of 3 drivers will have to be fined? Well someone will have to take up my slack - because I sure as hell won't get fined. Whats the speed limit? 50km/h? righto cruise control. 60km/h? cruise it is.

This is no where near as safe as me doing 55km/h by using the accelerator as the second I remove my foot off the pedal the car loses power and starts to slow and changes the weight transfer due to power. But it saves me from getting a bullshit fine and that is what is going to be all about. How much driving can you do on the road without a fine.

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 17:54   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately the cruise control on BAs doesn't work under 60km/h. I don't think I will going to Victoria any time soon.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

How can any government say a quota system for police doesn't exist when they are actually BUDGETTING the revenue from NEXT YEARS fines!!!!!

About the only good thing is at least NSW has to signpost it's cameras, so we're not getting totally raped by our greedy government (mind you - how do you get partially raped?).

I actually got offered a great job in Victoria last year - had to turn it down because I just wasn't keen to risk my licence living in the hidden radar tax state.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:06   #5 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

really. Thats strange. Its 40km/h on the AU's
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

No comment other than "pphhhttttttt!!!!!".

Oh, good on The Australian for taking a stand.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:19   #7 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

Whats the leway for speeding in Vic?
Is it 3km's?

My Fiancee was at uni with an ex vic police officer, that said its 1km/hour over the limit? 3km is too unreasonable, 1km would be rediculious. Especially with indescrepencies with the accuracy of the speedo's.

Is she telling pokies? (the ex vic pol. officer, not my fiancee)
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:31   #8 (permalink)

The allowance is 3kph
However, anyone who has travelled within the Domain tunnel which 3 series of fixed speed cameras will know its a very steep downward grade, just perfect for revenue raising.
The cameras being installed on the Westgate Bridge will probably be on the downward side.
The Western Ring Rd cameras are all pretty close to the variable speed signs.
All 3 of these places have variable speed limits.

Yep, Victoria is now a joke. We budget for speed camera revenue as an essential part of our budget, and for it to increase for the next 5 years.
I hate this government
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 18:38   #9 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

So what exactly are you Mexicans gonna do about this? When will somebody finally actually step up to the plate? Seems to be an aweful lot of talk about the appaling conditions you guys have to put up with, but nobody actually wants to challenge the state government...
Old 05-08-2003, 18:47   #10 (permalink)

Good point.
The biggest problem is the massive majority the Bracksward governement has. They dont give a damn about any opinion, be it from the motoring bodies, academics, lobby groups, the opposition or the media.
I think nothing short of a change of government will see anything done about these lunatics.
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub