Bracks your a DISGRACE - part 2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 22:11   #1 (permalink)

Bracks your a DISGRACE - part 2

Must be the week for the most unknowledgable and greedy premier of all time to roll out all of his "road safety" initiatives.

Reported today that the Vic government has ordered "many" new generation cameras.

These cameras are both a red light, and speed camera, combined into one unit. The advantage of this? It can issue 2 fines at once. One for the red light, one for speeding.

Now, lets see. Who exactly are these new cameras going to keep "safe" All of the people on our rural roads (which are the major % of our road toll at the moment)?. All of the people at risk from fatigue? All of the unfortunate users of our long list of black spots? All 18 year olds armed with a new licence after 3 hours of formal lessons? All of the drivers of unroadworthy cars? Nope wont do a thing for them. As not one cent is to be spent on these initiatives. And yet Bracks seems to have an endless supply of money when it comes to purchasing speed cameras for our safest roads.

And to add insult to injury, has anyone noticed how they have gone to great lenghts to DISGUISE speed cameras. Why? Well lets face it, they wouldnt want to scare off a potential road tax victim would they?

Bracks, your the sickest joke I've seen in a long time. And the fact you can never deny, is a speed camera (especilly the concelead type we have in Victoria) has never slowed down a person speeding their way to an accident. I guess the last thing you would want is for them to see a camera, or actually slow down. How the hell will you cover this years state spending blow out if people did that?

Resign
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Like I say. I will never willingly drive in Victoria again. My boss wanted me to go there for a recent issue and said I had to rent a car - I said NO! I'll catch cabs but I'm not driving.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 22:35   #3 (permalink)

Look, I hate Bracks too and his attitude to motorists (I have bagged him severely in another thread) but this one ain't so bad. How many people jump on the loud pedal when the lights are amber and going red? People turning right at intersections without arrows have no hope. I've seen far too many near misses.

One fine day I got up close and personal in this situation when I was cleaned up bigtime by some clown running the red and speeding. The guy who just got the green from the other street got cleaned up too!! The result was 3 written off cars and injury to the offending driver (I was BLOODY LUCKY to walk from this one). All the coppers could do was give him a ticket for running the red. It was such a stupit bit of driving he should have been put off the road.

Intersections are dangerous and maybe with these cameras turning right may not be such a health hazard!!
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 22:47   #4 (permalink)

Bearman, your dead right. Running or racing the red is a very dangerous thing to do.
My point however, is the cameras are disguised. They are making them impossible to spot. So what possible deterent is it?
In your scenario, they guy would have received a speeding fine and a red light fine in the hospital bed two weeks later. It would have done nothing to stop him from doing it at the time. A highly visible camera might of, but a concealed one wont.

And if the person had of had some decent driving education in the first place, he probably would have realised racing the red is a very bad idea, and may not have been in a position to race it in the first place.

Then again, there are always your common garden variety idiots, who I firmly believe are only ever detered by a visible police presence, which is now non existant in Vic. Apparently road law enforcement is an "automated" task, unworthy of a human these days

Cheers
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 23:32   #5 (permalink)

Bracks isnt targetting people who do 200 at intersections, he is targetting people everyday families who at the time have to make a spit second decission, and with those sorts of devices, there are sure to be more accidents, cos I'm sure as hell am going to slam on the brakes at an intersection, which will cause nothing but disaster, not safety!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 00:05   #6 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Personally I don't understan why traffic lights are needed in the majority of locations, roundabouts are much easier and flow better.
Had intelligence been used when designing cities, traffic lights would not be necessary in probably 99% of cases.

For those who think I'm bullshitting, drive through Albany or Esperance sometime. These are large towns with a reasonable influx of tourists each year - AND NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!
The entire south-west corner of W.A. is entirely free of traffic lights below Busselton! And it works very well, too.

Why are lights still being used in planning new suburbs, when roundabouts work better?
I wonder if it has something to do with red light cameras.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Yakuza Staff Car

here's an idea... have spike strips that raise and lower when the red light comes on.. facing the traffic that has to stop at the lights.. sure.. to start with ppl might get hurt, but with a saturation ad campaign that shouldnt happen.. im sure 99.9% of people would rather stop for the light, than have to replace tyres.

am i evil? yes, i am.. BUT it would work *nods*
nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:59   #8 (permalink)

I think roundabouts should be done away with now, cant they come up with a new idea? 4 way stops are better because theres less cost involved, you dont have another stupid obstacle in your way, and all 4 ways get to go through equally. Its so annoying driving around roundabouts, particularly these days when they are EVERYWHERE! The goal should be, make the roads wider, straighter, more lanes, faster traffic, flow etc and therefore higher speed limits with less accidents.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

Quote:
Originally posted by nitephyre
here's an idea... have spike strips that raise and lower when the red light comes on.. facing the traffic that has to stop at the lights.. sure.. to start with ppl might get hurt, but with a saturation ad campaign that shouldnt happen.. im sure 99.9% of people would rather stop for the light, than have to replace tyres.

am i evil? yes, i am.. BUT it would work *nods*
I think that maybe the idea in NSW as they have just allowed the use of road spikes in built up areas.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 03:38   #10 (permalink)

how about the death penalty? that would stop people speeding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub