Brain boggle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Blue Oval Magic

Brain boggle

Ok all you clever people out there here's one for you, I have a NA Fairlane 4speed auto, now it has been running like a dream until about a week ago I came home from work it was fine, then went to go fishing in it and it wouldn't change out of first, and then the little picture of the car in the dash started flashing, all of it's little doors and boot started opening and shutting so I naturally thought ok the transmission comp had died, but then realized the if that was the case the trans would go into limp mode and revert back to third, second was that it could be the body control unit, wrong again so I took it to a mechanic who cut his teeth on fords and who has one computers that plugs in to test everything, he did a full diagnostic on it and it said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, grrrrr by this stage I'm pulling out my hair so I go to the transmission mob and they said I have to fix the electrical problem before they would take a look at it and said there was probably nothing wrong with the transmission anyway, so I went to my mate who owns a wreckers and grabbed another dash, an ecu, a speed control unit, a body control unit and another transmission control ecu, but to no avail nothing made any difference so I have been hunting in this car now for two days solid trying to find a bad earth somewhere but I haven't found anything, do any of you have any other ideas or has anyone else ever come across this prob before? I've had fords my whole life and never come across a prob like this before but i'm sure it has to be something so stupid.
samej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12   #2 (permalink)
Blue Oval Magic

Re: Brain boggle

the saga continues ok after unplugging every plug the lights on the little car in the dash still kept flashing it's doors open and shut so I started pulling fuses out again and with everything unplugged pulling the wiper fuse out turns out all the dash lights,which it didn't do before, so there is a cross feed somewhere but I don't know how to get the fuse box out to look behind it can someone please help!
Old 02-21-2009, 15:37   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Thats boggleing my brain too. Is this an Australian Fairlane?. What year is it?
Old 02-21-2009, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Blue Oval Magic

yes it is it's an october 89 Na
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26   #5 (permalink)
Blue Oval Magic

confused Re: Brain boggle

ok after another fantastic day and half a head of hair later I'm still no closer to solving the problem, other then to say it has to be a cross feed somewhere in the wiring harness stoping the transmission ecu from talking to the main ecu, I tell you it's bloody lucky that i such a die hard ford lover cause this problem could quite easily convert anybody else into a red lion driver (Notice that i didn't say the swear word)he he he
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub