Bring back Corporal Punishment for these people - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2002, 19:41   #1 (permalink)

mad Bring back Corporal Punishment for these people

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...441347300.html

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2002, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Sorry but once again this is a Ford Forum. These sort of articles should be kept off the boards.
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
Old 04-29-2002, 21:02   #3 (permalink)

At least 80% of the stuff that gets posted in The Asylum is non-Ford related - I thought that is why it's called The Asylum.
How is this different to other "gross" posts such as the Darwin Award post by fordlover or even worse, the pic of the guy with the arrow through his head. Now these don't upset me personally, the Darwin Awards are quite humorous and I've seen plenty of stuff a lot worse than the arrow pic I'm just pointing out the inconsistency (again) of your rulings.
Have a nice day.:err:

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-29-2002, 22:02   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FM
Sorry but once again this is a Ford Forum. These sort of articles should be kept off the boards.
What "sorts of articles"?

Most of the stuff in The Asylum has nothing to do with cars, let alone Fords. I thought that was why it was created, so that people who don't have the broad and cultured tastes and enquiring minds of people like Falchoon and me stay in The Pub and talk about - eeek! - just cars.

We had a fair discussion about the Middle East a few weeks back and you can't get much further removed from cars or Fords than that. Some of it was no doubt objectionable to some people, but it wasn't shut down, so why restrict this topic, and a few others Falchoon has put up in the past, on the rarely enforced grounds that it's a Ford Forum?

I think Falchoon ought to be allowed to put them up. This was only a newspaper article freely available on every street corner, after all, and it's a lot more relevant to Australians than the Middle East was (although there does appear to be a certain connection).

I can see that there's scope for some strong views to be expressed, but so was there on the ME thread. And why shouldn't they be?

I realise you're trying to avoid problems, but the problem with censorship is that, like beauty (I am not suggesting that Falchoon is beautiful), it's in the eyes of the beholder.

Wouldn't it be fairer to let it run and then warn people if it's getting out of control, and then shut it down if they don't behave themselves.
Old 04-29-2002, 22:05   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EA S

I realise you're trying to avoid problems, but the problem with censorship is that, like beauty (I am not suggesting that Falchoon is beautiful), it's in the eyes of the beholder.

A bit harsh mate...in my case it's beauty in the eyes of the beerholder:beerchuge

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Old 04-29-2002, 22:16   #6 (permalink)

I'm with Falchoon and EA on this one.

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you can tell us and give us a valid reason why these topics should be kept off FF, I'll be cool with it and steer clear.

Yes, this is a taboo but some of us may wish to discuss it. Same with previous articles on Dr Hollingworth and various child abuse articles. Does someone find them offensive? Are they endangering our link with Ford Aus? I just can't see it...
Old 04-29-2002, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

There is one valid reason for restricting discussion on this particular topic, which is the sub judice rule, which prohibits public discussion of court cases while they're in progress. So it would be unwise to discuss this particular case as it goes along, but wider issues coming from past similar cases is a different issue, although it would be difficult to separate them and might be a good reason not to pursue this one too far.

I didn't consider this before firing off my last post in defence of Falchoon's, and anybody else's, right to discuss anything halfway reasonable because I was thinking only of the censorship aspect.

Sorry
Old 04-29-2002, 22:48   #8 (permalink)

hmmm, I wasn't aware of that. It would be so hard to differentiate between ongoing and past cases though.

EDIT: but hang on, would this apply to people who write to newspapers with their comments on current issues?
Old 04-29-2002, 23:35   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

All I'm saying is that this article is about a gang rape and not really appropriate for a Ford Forum. Same goes for the stuff about sodomy and such.
Have I really done something that's offending people by trying to keep the forums free of such topics? Have I locked or deleted the thread? NO. Am I aloowing people to have their opinions? Yes!

All I'm saying is lets use a bit of nouse when posting new topics hey..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
Old 04-29-2002, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
At least 80% of the stuff that gets posted in The Asylum is non-Ford related - I thought that is why it's called The Asylum.
Yes true.. stuff that's non Ford related is in here. Doesn't mean that everything you read on the web can go in here. This is where the bit of nouse comes into play.

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
I'm just pointing out the inconsistency (again) of your rulings.
Fair enough. Remember there are 3 moderators on this forum and we each have our own take on things even though we communicate on an hourly basis with each other. We do our best, but to some it's obviously not good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub