Brock and son to race in a Monaro - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2002, 17:57   #1 (permalink)

Read Brock and son to race in a Monaro

This is old news but thought it was of interest anyway. I have a lot of time for Brocky, he is definitely a legend, imagine how much better he would have been if he had been driving the right type of car....

From
The Australian

Quote:
HOLDEN has teamed a living legend with a newly revived one to compete in this year's Targa Tasmania racing driver Peter Brock and a hot new Monaro.

The nine-times Bathurst 1000 champion will suit up, with son James navigating, to drive one of two 5.7-litre V8 Monaros competing in the six-day event, which starts on April 16.

The Targa has traditionally been a Porsche-dominated event but Brock is quietly confident the Monaros will handle the pace.

"There is absolutely no doubt we'll be competitive," he said.

"In certain conditions, with the faster, undulating roads, we'll be giving the four-wheel-drive Porsches a run for their money.

"With their sheer, brute power and grip in the wet, four-wheel-drives will have an advantage over us, but I think people will still be very surprised how quick our cars will be."

Brock last drove a Monaro in 1969 when he finished third in the Bathurst 1000. It was his first major touring car event and fuelled his rise to racing fame.

Brock said the modern-day Monaro brought back memories of the old Monaro GTS 350.

"January 1970 was the last time I drove a Monaro," he said. "Then we got our XU1s and we basically waved goodbye to the old brute.

"It was a shock at the time because of the change in race tactics. It was certainly the right decision but driving the XU1 was nothing quite like driving a Monaro."

Brock said Holden's move to a fully factory-backed two-car team this year reflected its desire to showcase the Monaros in an ultra-competitive environment.

Last year, he drove a V8 Commodore Ute in the event.

Brock was also confident the hype surrounding the Monaro since its launch before Christmas would make it the crowd favourite.

"It will be the biggest pose of all time . . . driving a red Monaro, with a bit of an exhaust note, in Tassie where they love these things anyway and throwing it sideways in a corner waving to the crowd. That's perfect."

Both Monaros will be lighter and more powerful than the showroom versions, but according to Brock, will still be closer to stock-standard than some of the other cars competing.

Modifications include full roll cages, newly designed light- weight Harrop competition brakes, Momo seats, revised suspensions and competition-tuned engines.

The other specially modified Monaro in the Targa race will be driven by dual Bathurst winner Steven Richards and navigator Jenny Cole, from Victoria.

It is Richards's first Targa. He has taken time off from his V8 Supercar commitments with the Castrol-Perkins Holden Commodore to compete in the 2200km event.

His father Jim has won Targa five times driving various Porsche 911 models and will compete again this year.

"Dad has told me what a great event it is so I'm really looking forward to it," he said.

"We have spoken about how tough it is on the cars and drivers but turning words into action is something else again."

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2002, 20:22   #2 (permalink)

We, the Tickford Club of Tasmania are extending a very warm welcome to Brock senior and Jnr. We have offered to change wheels and look after the car for them so as they can give 110% to the driving. In an extraordinary display of friendship and sportsmanship, several members have prepared pace notes which if followed should see this driver combination in the top 5 at least.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 23:23   #3 (permalink)
goooone

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
We, the Tickford Club of Tasmania are extending a very warm welcome to Brock senior and Jnr. We have offered to change wheels and look after the car for them so as they can give 110% to the driving. In an extraordinary display of friendship and sportsmanship, several members have prepared pace notes which if followed should see this driver combination in the top 5 at least.
Let me guess not all the wheel nuts will make it back on & the pace notes include a slight detour of a cliff
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:31   #4 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

pfft richards will kick his arse!!

here are the latest odds btw....

Reason for Monaro pulling out of the event-

Clutch Problems- 5:1
Other Related drivetrain Problems- 7:1
Blown Engine- 6:1
Someone slashing his tyres before the last leg- 1:1 (provided they make it that far...hehehe)

And lastly finishing the event- 1000:1

On a better note, please tell me that Ford have backed someone this year!!!

I know a few Xr's ran last year, and from memory one did alright.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:59   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by knighty
good luck to brocky and son. in my book he is an absolute legend. i wouldn't give richards the time of day.
Well I can tell you for a fact that both Brock and Jim are extremely good with the crowds and people in general.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy

Let me guess not all the wheel nuts will make it back on & the pace notes include a slight detour of a cliff
Now would we do that:s6:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub