Build the GTHO and why they should - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 18:57   #1 (permalink)

Build the GTHO and why they should

Everyone has been telling Ford to build a GTHO and I am one of them.

My reason for posting this thread came up after reading about the dead Holden 427 in a car magazine. I believe the demise of the 427 left a big hole that Holden was going to fill with the ĎAustralian Supercar.í

I HAD A DREAMÖ as Martin Luther King would say.

Ford should take the approach what they did with the XY GTHO and what Holden did with the 427 and build a car to win at Bathurst. Compile all their international racing knowledge to build a supercar that can match the 427 and use professional drivers to win the race. They should replace almost every panel with Carbon fiber like in the BMW M3 CSL to save enough weight as possible and employ engineers to build a similar engine as in the For GT40 that is soon to be release. Get FRT to configure car suspension and gear rations and so on and so forth.

Then release it to the public with the same hype around the 427 and enough engine power to make the politicians having flashbacks of the 1970ís.

Iíll get of my soap box now and let you guys and girls add to or mock my dream.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

Re: Build the GTHO and why they should

that would be nice.

however, id prefer a GTHO that i could see ON the road & the track.
something that when you saw it on the road it would make your day/month/year!!

loud, powerfull, and tuff.
bring it on ford
Old 03-11-2004, 19:29   #3 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny
Compile all their international racing knowledge to build a supercar that can match the 427 and use professional drivers to win the race. They should replace almost every panel with Carbon fiber like in the BMW M3 CSL to save enough weight as possible and employ engineers to build a similar engine as in the For GT40 that is soon to be release. Get FRT to configure car suspension and gear rations and so on and so forth.

Iíll get of my soap box now and let you guys and girls add to or mock my dream.
Okay, I will

Sorry, Im laughing at using Fords international racing knowledge, and how well that went down at the Melbourne F1 with Jaguar and Jordans.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 20:00   #4 (permalink)
Circuit board dressups!

Thumbs up Re: Build the GTHO and why they should

I was browsing some Wheels Magazines of a mate of mine's recently, and it had the FPV Boss saying they weren't "ready to do a GT-HO... yet"
Old 03-11-2004, 20:13   #5 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

If the GT-HO used the same motor as the Ford GT in the USA, it would cost well over $100,000. That engine has been developed specifically for the 2005 Ford GT, its a one-off motor. However, a GT-HO would be nice to see with less weight then the current porker Fords, and decent power coming through it. Something like a 370kW 700Nm Supercharged 5.4 and a weight of around 1700kg (on par with the HSV Clubsport R8's 1715kg) would be excellent. Anything with less torque then horsepower in the old money is a waste. 370kW 700Nm = 496hp 517ftlbs.. so thats good lol. Quite similar to a Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG output actually, which is 368kW 700Nm (493hp 517ftlbs), also from a 5.4litre Supercharged V8. Hmm...
Old 03-11-2004, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

The more power the better IMO but in realistic terms and looking to what else will be around over the next few years a GTHO costing around the 100k mark would need a blown 5.4 pumping 350+kw {claim 350 if they like} and 600nm min. Most importantly it should have those numbers and have not put an extra 100kg on over current GT. Adding an extra 50kw is pointless if your adding so much weight you offset it. Ford needs to forget the "dont want to scare you" thing. It should handle and brake better than a GT but when you drop the pedal it should bloody scare you. It needs to push 0-100's in the 4's and Qtr in the 12's. Last thing we need is this thing beating Clubsport by one tenth or the very next model Typhoon or GT {after HO} being quicker.

Id love the blown all alloy 5.4 to make it into HO.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 20:49   #7 (permalink)
.au member

As nice as it would be to have a HO in your garage, I dont think it will happen without a lot of debate. To be honest, Im surprised that by now someone hasnt already kicked up a stink about the power capabilities of the BOSS engines.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for having GTs with 290's under the bonnet, but what I am saying is that when you look at the reasons why the last lot of GT's and HO's didnt get built, its surprising those issues havent come up again now, where a fairly run of the mill XR8 will get you controlling 260kW right out of the car yard.

If HO's were to make a re-appearance, I would be suggesting that Ford follow BMW's lead and limit their capabilities to avoid everyday drivers getting a little bit out of control with the 300+kW. For those of you who dont know, BMW's M series come with a speed limiter which is removable, but only by BMW, and they will only remove it if you can provide them with a valid CAMS (or equivalent) licence. I think this is a bloody good idea, because it still allows those who dont hold a licence like that to have the car they've always wnated, but it gives those who have the training and ability to control the car better than most drivers the oppotunity to put their skills into practice.

If a HO comes out, I really think that's what they should do - still make them available, but limit them. I think most people (bar performance enthusiasts) would agree that 290kW under the bonnet of a GT is more than enough (as in all honesty sometimes I think people only up their kW's for the 'brag factor'), and anything more than that is probably getting a bit dangerous (in the wrong hands).

Besides, I think the primary buyers of GTHO's would be people like us, who are interested in performance and all aspects of cars - that includes knowing how to properly handle and control a car in all conditions. That being the case, I'm sure most would actually want to undertake a driving course to make sure they got the very most from their new HO.

I realise I'm probably going to get told to stop being a wimp etc etc, its just that I would hate to see a GTHO crashed for 2 reasons:

*the death of the driver
*the death of the car.
Old 03-11-2004, 20:50   #8 (permalink)

We need a GTHO. Stripped down model only the basics in terms of interior comfort. Good seats, Brembos, Suspension, 19" rims, Wild but good looking kit and at least 350kw understated power. Must be capable of beating a 300kw GTS all night long at the drags and on the street. $39 000 VY SV8's are quicker than $60 000 odd GT's at the moment and that does not seem right!
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 20:59   #9 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

No need for 19s on a GT-HO. They reduce traction, low profile tyres suck. Heh, if it were my way, it'd be wearing 15x12s on the back with 345/35 YR15 Pirelli's on the back, or maybe some M/T or possibly Hoosier rubber. But it'll never be my way, so yeah. In respone to what back2thefutura said about limiting the GT-HOs capabilities, all I can say is why? What's the point of making a 300kW+ car which is limited so that its less 'dangerous' then, say, a 200kW car. People can easily get rid of any limitations you put on (and yes, that limiter on the M5 can be removed yourself without BMWs help). The 250km/h speed limiter on the M5 is actually not because of crappy drivers in Australia or what have you. The 250km/h limiter is a gentlemans agreement between BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar and the like to keep it at that for normal sports sedans etc. GT-HO is one of the few cars I personally would buy and leave standard, and if its castrated by Ford then, I'm definitley not buying it. I'd rather a V8 Falcon XT built to beat the thing then owning a GT-HO that Ford made slower for the bad drivers out there. If you can't drive, don't get a fast car, a Hyundai Accent is good enough for you.
Old 03-11-2004, 23:30   #10 (permalink)
walking power

Geez another GTHO thread havnt seen one of them in a while

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub