Building a new house, help needed. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 03:54   #1 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Building a new house, help needed.

Well my parents are building a new house and they cant seam to find a builder in QLD that wants to really help them. All the builders they have seen are pushy and arent interested in making the changes that they require, like a third garage and a pool.

Has anyone had a decent experience with a QLD builder or maybe even an Australian wide builder. Cost isnt really a worry, but workmanship is important.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 12:50   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

hmm I know an excellent builder in Adelaide but that doesn't help much sorry.
Maybe the way to do it would be to see an architect and get them to design the house then subcontract.
I don't know bugger all about it so thats just of the top of my un educated head.
Old 05-03-2003, 15:32   #3 (permalink)
Still Here! Barely...

good builders?? here in QLD? yeah tell me if you find any. My dads still waiting on his house to be finished after, well.. friggen ages (cant remember the time they started building) and were menat to be in by feb (which was an extended date anyway).... but no...
and my mum a few years ago had a new house built and OMG was that a disaster too... so yeah.. i wish you good luck!!

Proud DUAG member!

Under a smidge bit of construction - *http://au.geocities.com/crystalized13/*
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 18:32   #4 (permalink)

Where about in QLD? Might be able to help.
Old 05-03-2003, 19:07   #5 (permalink)

Re: Building a new house, help needed.

Quote:
Originally posted by AUIIIXR6VCT
Well my parents are building a new house and they cant seam to find a builder in QLD that wants to really help them. All the builders they have seen are pushy and arent interested in making the changes that they require, like a third garage and a pool.

Has anyone had a decent experience with a QLD builder or maybe even an Australian wide builder. Cost isnt really a worry, but workmanship is important.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I have two builders that build for me on the Gold Coast - they are good quality builders with excellent trades people . What area of Qld are you in ?
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 21:08   #6 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Brisbane - South Side
Old 05-04-2003, 01:55   #7 (permalink)
Occasional Goat-Getter

Some more questions, and a few hints

The way you say about the changes required - it suggests it's a project home design. Are they basically trying to rip off one of these designs and tweak it? That's a bit of a no-go for getting a contractor in.

Have the proposed changes been drafted, or is it all at the verbal stage? Have plans been approved but not with the mods? Would the proposed changes be difficult to implement (structural considerations, site access, easements...)?

And how far have they got with anybody so far? I mean, have contractors come to the site and looked, and then not bothered to call back - is the site even pegged out yet?

As to sussing out potential builders - talk to a few of their past clients. A big call back problem is waterproofing. Ask if they've had leaky rooves or bathrooms. S**t like this happens often enough - hopefully not on your place. It doesn't hurt to check the builder's insurances and license are unsullied. No point aggravating future neighbours with a poorly controlled site (dust, materials, runoff, collateral damage).

And to attract the right builder, let them know you'll be 110% ready when they expect it. Have your (approved) plans with amendments ready, the site clean and pegged out, the finance organised.

DON'T change plans on the fly - this is guaranteed to piss people off, and can screw your home in terms of floor plan, plumbing or wiring issues.

And above all, be patient. The good guys are busy all the time. Anyone that has nothing on - that should ring a warning bell! Your turn will arrive. And never, ever ask "Will it be done by <insert holiday name>"? You're going to live there a lot longer than it whatever time takes to build.

Good luck!

Adam.
addo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:36   #8 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

OH well after 200 kms of driving and viewing about 100 displays they have decided to leave clarendon homes due to the rudeness of their staff and the pushyness involved in building a new home with them. They have now decided to build with ownit homes even tho they were nearly at the stage of signing the contract with Clarendon. The changes we wanted were very basic, like an extra door here and there, nothing to exciting oh and the they also told us that we couldnt put a pool in because no one else does these days (in otherwords they couldnt be bothered helping us get what we wanted).

With the house they are now building changes are minimal, but they have one slight problem, the same has is going to be built next door, so we have to change our facade so they look different.

Neways im sick of houses, and personally id rather keep the one we allready have.

Thanks for your help guys and girls (if there are any that commented)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub