Buying at Auctions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 16:42   #1 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

Buying at Auctions

Flicking through the channels last night at 6:30, I saw a story on buying cars from auctions. It was on ACA (I know ) but they showed some pretty good deals, I think it was an 11 month old Futura wagon that had sold for $15K cheaper than new, and also a 6 month old Focus was just over $6K less. What are some of the pros and cons of buying a car from auctions? In this case it was at Fowles.

Pros I can think of are that you'll get a car for cheaper, but then I'd be weary about buying ex government vehicles because I'd generally think they wouldn't be driven like a private car would be from new. Any other things people would take into account?
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
gone

I purchased my Vn Commodore from Fowls years and years ago!

Take someone who knows abit about cars with you and set a limit on each car.

and be prepared to spend some dollars on it!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 17:27   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Yeah I've bought from those auctions before as well. However they're almost exclusively 'vanilla' cars meaning family rubbish with no excitement. Unless you count the cop cars etc.

When you get the odd desirable car like an executive driven SS or something the private buyers go nuts and I've seen cars go for virtual retail - except no perks like buying from a dealer.

I thoroughly recommend the auctions of ACT government and federal vehicles in Fyshwick Canberra. Better cars - less fools shopping.

Beware though. ACA as usual gave the BEST examples. It was only yesterday I saw an 'asian' oringin vehicle recently bought from just such an auction sitting in a repairer's shop. Despite having logbook service record the engine was stuffed (51,000km)due to oil contamination of the valvetrain - it seems being a government car or whatever the servicing people did just that - a logbook service (as opposed to underbonnet service). Well ovewr $2000++ later this owner may have a good car!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
SM

Got my ex police XR8 from Pickles in Sydney december 2001, was able to chase up the cop who had it (45, only driver, country patrol) checked out its service history and it had an NRMA inspection rating of 9.5/10. Got it for $26K, did 50,000 km on it and had it 2 years, nver missed a beat. Sold it last month for $24K. It is definitely worth just going along to a couple of them to get to know the process and the regular dealers and purchasers who buy every week. Check the obvious things like which govt department had it, any warranty left, tyre wear ie: scrubbed up against gutters etc.
Old 05-07-2003, 18:22   #5 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

I guess it depends on luck too? I'd probably have more peace of mind by paying a few grand more and going to a yard in the end.
Old 05-07-2003, 21:23   #6 (permalink)

I don't think there is any warranty from auctions. Though the car you buy would probably be several thousand dollars cheaper than car yard so in effect you are paying for the repairs (if any are needed) yourself anyhow from the car yard.

Presuming you have a particular car in mind look around car yards, redbook.com.au etc and find out what they are going for. The number of auctions I've been to (equipment, not cars) and I'm staggered by the prices people are prepared to pay for stuff, more than new retail in some cases! They obviously have no idea of the value and think because it's an auction it must be cheap.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

The govie auctions at pickles are mostly cars that have done 40,000km or are 2 years old. this means that you have the balance of new car warranty left - 60,000km or 1 year.

Definitely the way to buy a car, if you just want something 'vanilla' (as AP put it). The money you save should be enough for mags, suspension and exhaust to give it some 'flavour'. And the ACT ones usually have XR6s and SS commodores - the XRs usually go for high 20's, the SS low 30s.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

My parents got a EF2 in 2000 for about $8.5k. Nothing wrong with it. Ave kms, country car. I thought it was a good deal, esp considering the ave sale price at time was $10k+
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

Yes where i work we do alot of dealing with auction yards, and in most cases we buy without looking. Havent struck a bad one yet, and at the moment these are the deals i have been getting.

07/02 AUIII Fairmonts with 4000 kms - 30 grand

07/02 AUIII Futuras - 500 kms - 26 grand

12/01 AUIII XR8 - 50 000 kms - 31 grand

06/02 AUIII Fortes 1000 kms - 24 grand

12/99 AU UPDate Fairlane - 80 000 kms - 20 grand

They are as cheap as chips, and most have manufacturers warranty. Pickles had a huge amount of AUIII Futures with delievery Kms on them, apparently there arent many left.

They still have 5 or so AUIII Fairmonts for 30.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:36   #10 (permalink)
BOSS 260

does any1 know where pickles and fowls car auctions in sydney are ?
thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub