was buying a new barra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2002, 04:31   #1 (permalink)

was buying a new barra

just found out some bad news about the barra. you can't fit LPG to any model 6 cylinder motor if you want dual fuels. you can have dedicated fuel but not both. i think that sucks as i couldn't go back to another car on petrol after running on gas for 5 years. apparently it will void your warranty if you fit it. glad i told the sales man of my plan as im a LPG installer and could do it my self but the risk of no warranty is to high especially on a brand new model. why do they do this, just so they can sell there own dedicated gas! I can't even get that on a XR6. will have a look into the v8 gas position. although theres not much engine bay room. I was hoping to be happy having just ordered a new car tonight, but now i'm just annoyed and don't know what to do....
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Firstly it is not so that they can sell their own dedicated gas option.

Secondly this information has been well documented over the last few months along with the technical reasons for it.

Thirdly - I would be surprised if the V8 postition is any different - if there is even a gas option for it.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:39   #3 (permalink)

I agree with some of your sentiments harasn, lack of duel fuel is a problem for us cabbies. Well I don't like duel fuel personally i have occasional electrical problem every 30,000km or so, well on mine anyway. My car is now fully lpg apart from a 15l emergency tank which I sort of like but hardly ever use. On the flip side of the coin the dedicated lpg falcon comming up may be better enginnered for lpg than previous motors. If so there will be a number bought by me and others, time will tell.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:40   #4 (permalink)
goooone

yeah you can't expect Ford to warrant an engine that has been so heavily tampered with
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:57   #5 (permalink)

russelw.
can you tell me where it has been documented as i have obiously missed it... I work at ford and have heard nothing about it!!! I'm not so worried that ford don't have the dual fuel option for either motor i would just like to be able to fit my gas without warranty issues

from my experience with the dedicated gas cars, they are gutless. why buy a new car that brags about 182kw and then option the gas motor and it drops the rating to 152kw. they also feel slow when doing any towing compaired to a petrol motor.

they gas system that i fit is almost the same as the factory stuff so i'm not going to modify the motor at all, in every model to this day you can fit all kinds of gas systems with no problems why start making life hard now. The barra is important to ford to sell then why cut out alot of people who have both fuels for a reason. i have gas because its more economical around town and then petrol is more economical out on the hwy. each to his own i quess but the new ford phrase is no boundries well i say ha!

sorry have an attitude tonight not normally like this so i opolgise
Old 10-05-2002, 05:29   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

It is documented on the new Falcon website and in some threads that I have posted here.

The dedicated gas engine has a significant increase in compression ratio to suit the higher octane rating of the fuel - from 9.7 to 10.7:1 which undoubtedly assists the consumption if not the power - it would also make it somewhat difficult to run on petrol.

I can rememebr reading somewhere that there were other reasons but can't remember what they were.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:37   #7 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by harasn
from my experience with the dedicated gas cars, they are gutless. why buy a new car that brags about 182kw and then option the gas motor and it drops the rating to 152kw. they also feel slow when doing any towing compaired to a petrol motor.
Im sorry, but what makes you think that a dual fuel petrol / gas is going to be any better?
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 16:34   #8 (permalink)

well in my current car it doesn't feel to lose power when it runs on gas but the single gas cars of the barra's feel ordinary to say the least, also as i saidd, gas is good for around town and petrol on the hwy. i quess i will just have to wait until they bring out lpg injection as that goes well and will have to see what consuption is like...
Old 10-05-2002, 18:25   #9 (permalink)
turbo4wd

Lpg injection is the answer. Lpg + turbo would be ideal :)
Old 10-05-2002, 23:41   #10 (permalink)

At the moment I've got an AU2 One Tonner with the dedicated gas fitted. Now, I can say that while it lacks ultimate power up in the revs, it will lug around and pull like theres no tommorrow, even when loaded. The manual tranny might help in that area. Will jump off the lights quicker than most too.
It's suprising that the Barra E-gas engines feels sluggish seeing that more work has gone into it, in the way of comp, which wasn't done on the old dedicated system.
I was suprised when at one stage the specs said it had only 157Kw, or the same as the old engines petrol output on petrol, and with less torque than the new petrol motor. The old gas engine had slightly more torque than the petrol equivilant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub