Buying new car advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2002, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
EA Ford Fanatic

Buying new car advice

Looking for some advice on buying a second hand vehicle. I wrote off my girlfriends car, and the insurance is coming through soon. The agreed market value was only $1000 and she is willing to put in another $1000- 1500. So what car would be reliable for around $2000 grand. I would like to get a 4 cylinder (its for my girlfriend, and she doesn't like big tanks), as late a model as I could get, with standard electrics and power everything- if possible. Any advice on car models to look for or locations to look at would be great.
copscatchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

unfortuantly you will find it hard to get a newer car with all those electrics for $2000. Id suggest possible a Telstar Ghia might fall in that price range, but of an 80's vintage. Theres not really alot you can get thats really for $2000 IMO. You might be lucky enough to get power steering and airconditioning in a newer Laser or Corolla or something along those lines. Newer meaning early 90s. Good luck in the hunt though mate!
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 22:54   #3 (permalink)

Maybe you should look for something like an early model Laser Ghia. Not sure about the electrics but they can be pretty nice inside. For $2000 I wouldn't be expecting much though...
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 23:04   #4 (permalink)
EA Ford Fanatic

I was thinking about a Telstar or Laser, or maybe a Japanese 4 banger. Her last car was a 1981 Mistubishi Sigma so anything over that is an improvement. Keep the suggestions coming cos they are much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2002, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

From memory, power steering was an option on automatic KB Laser Ghias, but would be rare to find. You won't find equipment like electric windows, but appealing details like rear headrests, map lights and full instruments are fitted. The big problem now is in the areas of body rigidity and engines in need of reconditioning.

The Telstars are more likely to come with the electrics - and you might as well considered the Mazda 323 and Mazda 626 equivalents as well - but for a good example, you may end up blowing the budget.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:43   #6 (permalink)

I suggest a 6 cylinder early 80's Fairmont or Calais. Im sure u could find one in reasonable condition for 2k. The Fairmont may be a bit big but im sure the Calais would be small enough for her. Yer i know its a dam holden. 4 cylinder engines USUALLY dont stand the test of time. Any 4 older than about 5 years is probly 1/2 F#$@ed or on its way out.
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 02:29   #7 (permalink)
donuts2001

I'll get flamed for saying this but... get a VK Commodore!

They sell for peanuts these days($1500 - $1700 with RWC) and there is shitloads of parts out there for them, plus being the end of the commodore VB body series most of the bugs had been ironed out.

The interior is pretty ugly because they had the 80's brown fad going(what was the deal with that??) on, so rip all the carpet and seats and shit out and spend a few hundred putting in some new carpet, and seats and steering wheel and she'll love you for it.

Whatever car you get, DON'T get a 80's/early 90's Jap car... they are the ugliest heaps of shit I've ever seen! Obviously the Japs didn't master making nice looking cars until the mid 1990's.

Anyways happy buying
Old 10-28-2002, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

The VK is the problem model of the entire range!!!
Most of the problems of the older models. combined with the dramas of the new....absolute shitbox,
I may be ford oriented but I am not biased in this respect....My dad has been a mechanic for most of his life, as well as a dealer for the last 10 years...not to mention we have been building cars since I can remember...so I think its safe to say we know the problem areas with a hell of alot of different models out there and I can assure you...ask any commodore nut...STEER CLEAR OF THE VK!

With that said...you arent really going to get alot with 2k....if you want full electrics I would suggest a toyota cressida...around 85-86 onwards were good cars, anywhere older than that and the engine develops a miss when they get a few k's on the clock, which is almost impossible to get rid of ( without spending hundreds of dollars on a new injection setup that is )
The crown is also a nice car but much heavier and has bad fuel economy....Personally I would be looking at a celica...83 onwards, theyre cheap, very reliable, unbelievable on fuel...very comfortable and you can get one for under 1500 if you shop around. Theyre great as a 5 speed but autos are available also..

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 15:05   #9 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

Good luck finding a nice car for $2000.

I just sold my 1990 Toyota Corolla that had no power seering or electrics, but it did have a new air con unit that I put in since it came without air con form the factory. I fetched $5400. The small car market is quite strong out here in Alice Springs though. It had a mere 119000kms on it and was in immaculate condition.
Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 16:56   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Look i don't know whats available for $2000 but honestly i wouldn't be looking for a car with electrics etc for that money.
A Corolla 1982-83 are good cars the last of the rear drive corollas they keep on going and going and going.

For that sort of money i'd concentrate on car thats mechanically sound and cheap to repair don't worry about fancies.

On the other token i'd be worth your while to talk with your g/f to look at ways in perhaps getting a loan for a few grand more to open up your shopping window. You might be able to pickup an 1986 model corolla first unleaded model and it might have power steer and some electric goodies.

Not i reccomended a Corolla as you mentioned your g/f is not into big cars.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub