Cable damage slows BigPond - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2002, 20:18   #1 (permalink)

Cable damage slows BigPond

TELSTRA internet users could face further international traffic delays while a cable linking Australia and Western Europe is repaired.

Telstra spokeswoman Kerrina Lawrence said it was suspected the SEA-ME-WE3 cable had been damaged by sandmining at a point about 50km south of Singapore.
The SEA-ME-WE3 Consortium had dispatched a ship but was waiting for permission to enter Indonesian territorial waters before repairs could commence. This was expected tomorrow at the earliest.

Ms Lawrence said ADSL and cable customers had reported slow access at the weekend, but the impact had been "minimal" because traffic was re-routed to two other cables.

The cable has been cut several times before, causing widespread internet problems each time. Last year China Telecom sued a Chinese shipping company for the cost of the repairs.

Ms Lawrence said this incident was not as bad.

"There are thousands of kilometres of cable snaking under the sea along the seabed," she said.

"The last one was a straight cut, this is suspected damage that might have affected voltage. It doesn't seem to be as severe."

The repair costs, which would be borne by the consortium, could run to hundreds of thousands of dollars a day.

The cable, which connects Australia, South East Asia, the Middle East and Europe, has 40 landing points in 34 countries.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2002, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

It has been a pain, I'm on BigPoo cable. This site has been ok but LS1.com and a couple others were slow as fark.

I'm using Ozemail's proxy now and it seems to have sped things up a bit. Dunno why.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 22:04   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Good old Tel$tra. Maybe they should increase prices in an attempt to increase quality and customer service. Oh, hang on...
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub