Calling all teachers.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2001, 00:03   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Question Calling all teachers....

As you all now I'm young and curious (NO DK, NOT IN THAT WAY)
I was wondering if someone could explain the following terms...

What is the difference between I6 and Flat6 or I4 Flat four?
Ratio/ Final drive, allways see this in motor mag but dont get it!!
Diif, this is the thing that connects the properler shaft to the rear axle, right?
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, what else???
Oh yeah, Track??
I will add more when it comes to mind.
Please don't laugh, I love cars and all to do with them, but I'm young and stupid and don't understand a few things:(
puts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2001, 00:43   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Pritesh, the Diff is the bit in the centre of the rear axle that is connected to the propellor shaft it's job is to provide different rotational velocities between each rear wheel..
Track is the distance between each pair of wheels (front set and rear set) across the width of the vehicle the distance between the front and rear wheel of the vehicle is the wheelbase.
As for th rest of the stuff you asked I tried to explain it but it would have been too confusing so I'll leave that to someone else :D
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 01:18   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I will have a try at the flat engines.It would be easier to draw something but..If you are familiar with the V6 V8 type engines Pritesh then if looking from the rear of a V6 you have 3 pistons running up and down each side of the V.If we were to flatten the V6 down to this _ _ we would have 3 pistons on each side travelling outward away from each other.These engines are "horizontally Opposed" or flat engines.This concept is the same for 4 or 6 etc engines.Inline six would be if we closed the V6 right up to this ! and put the pistons one behind the other in a row we have an inline 6.The final drive is usually referring to the diff and the ratio is the gearing in the diff eg 3.0 :1 would mean 3 revolutions of the prop shaft to 1 rotation of the axle.This assumes both axles turning together.4.0:1 is 4 prop turns to 1 axle etc.
Pritesh it's no laugh if you want to learn something.I can post some pic's of engine layouts if you want me too.
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

If you can, try and track down a book called READERS DIGEST BOOK OF THE CAR. It's from the 1970s but will give you a really good explanation of car mechanical basics. Wont explain EFI, but! Live near a library? Go straight to 629.2 and get into it!
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

pritesh, talk to me, the king of the flat head era.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:28   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Hey Doc Flat head as in side valve.Geeez As in Ford V8 what a classic.Refreshed a few brain cells.

Pretish: Flat motors other wise known to be Boxer engine's as in V.W.Alfa sprint,Subaru, etc
Four's and six's as in Porsche flat 6=911& boxter how did they come up with that name?

In line as in most jap 4 motors where all cylinders are in a straight line.East west is when the engine is put in side ways as in most front wheel drive cars.Mini was one of the first Confused? As bbf & Dk said
V6 as in v6 Commodore,Magna,Maxima,Camryv6.
You know what a V8 is???
Inline 6 as in older Holdens,vl and back all the 6 Falcons are inline.

See the new racing Honda 4 stroke bike is going to be a V.5 .I guess 3 one side and two the other V .I can't wait to here the sound of those 4 stroke's screaming there lungs out.Be some oil on track too I guess.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 06:34   #7 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

are you asking me a queston or what....????
I know what a flathead motor is, from the first 221 to the last 272 V8. I also know, mercury, ford, offenhauser, the first overhead conversions for flathead V8's. fitting blowers to them , tuning them, crab distributors, twin water pumps the list is endless.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes I remember one being called a twin spinner is that right?They looked real good in t buckets ha?

Was the flat head 221 ? Or are you talking about size as the first Windsor as in 221 ,260,289,302 etc

The 272 [292 Canadian?] is the old Y block is that right? Boat anchor's.. Those brain cells are way back there interesting?
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 17:48   #9 (permalink)

Pritesh, try this site http://www.howstuffworks.com/sc-engines-automotive.htm
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 18:41   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Falcon
Pritesh, try this site http://www.howstuffworks.com/sc-engines-automotive.htm
THANKYOU!!!

That was exactly the kinda stuff I was after, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
puts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub