camera deterent device complete - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2002, 17:13   #1 (permalink)
ben

camera deterent device complete

Well i been working on this for about 3 months now...

As we all know, going 60km/h in a straight four lane road seperated with an island, with no streets hanging off it, no intersections, and going for about 40km is rediculous....we tend to speed abit, and if theres a camera, FLASH, do that twice......no license.

So, to avoid buying a commercial bel, or similar system for $1400, i decided to design and build my own radar detector with some collegues, dropping the X band which is only used for basically automatic doors now, and concentrating on the two main bands used for speed detection being K and KA band. Using a phase locked loop for the local oscillator, accuracy in tuning could be acheived, and consequenty the warning range of about 3km is ample and hooked up to a buzzer and LED.

This of course is for WA and the multanovas and radar guns used here, not for mobile units like over east. If legislations passes to make these detectors illegal, the unit can be turned off using an illuminating switch on the dash, and since its not a commercial dash mountable unit, you cant be strip searched for the device, as it is behind the radiator in a consealed chassis.

I personally beleive this is a big acheivement and considering it cost us a total recourse of $250 for the prototype and $100 for each further model, we beleive we can target uni students and constant drivers while it is legal, and give some word of mouth and sell the units for less than a quarter of the cost of a commercial system, more warning time, and more suited to WA rather than internationally

Anyone here live in WA. The unit was tested and worked brilliant today on tonkin hwy perth, so more tests will be done soon.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2002, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Sounds good ben, too bad I'm in the east :(
Old 03-27-2002, 18:10   #3 (permalink)
91 EA Spak

I wot one!!! If ya can make it to the W.A meet id like 2 see it
Old 03-27-2002, 18:25   #4 (permalink)
AcidBurns

aww, too bad Ben, They are illegal. Get busted with the thing during a random road worthy check, and you will be sent directly to court, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Good luck with it anyway, and well done thinking up how to make one!

Oh, and BTW, These detectors can be ordered on-line, and home delivered for the same cost as your production... I think I'd prefer the real thing, which also covers Laser, and the X band rader... Mode switching from Urban/Country etc etc etc.
r4.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/h...yid=V17853
Take a look yourself.
Old 03-27-2002, 21:52   #5 (permalink)
ben

hey there Acid

first off they arent illegal in WA, i checked with my local police department just this afternoon. Also, i am comparing my product to a half decent commercial product such as the Bel 990 which retails for over $1300.00

The cheap product you mention hasnt got a quarter of the warning time, often doesnt help in time, produces many false alarms, and is very easily detectable in itself, this model's X band often harmonises with the K band producing even more false alarms. due to the low power output of devices used in WA and the angle accross the road, this cheap product will only detect once you are in direct line with the camera, in which case its pretty much too late. My product uses local oscillation and an amplifier to reach out and "grab" signals within 3km's.

you prefer the real thing? Fine by me :)

have a good one :)

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 22:48   #6 (permalink)

jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:29   #7 (permalink)
AcidBurns

My job here is Done Ben. I'm not going to get into an argument with you about the ups and downs of both devices. I've shown you that a detector can be purchased for the same price, that does the same thing, with added useability. That's all I wanted.

Ben's new radar detector, $100
Whistler Laser/Radar Detector, ~$100
Ben comparing his detector to a $1400 system, priceless. :)
Old 03-28-2002, 10:19   #8 (permalink)
shorsfall

re

Hey Ben. Its sounds like youve beem a busy boy, havent heard from you for ages. Im in WA and Im very interested in your product. Are you going to be marketing them or just selling them by word of mouth? Is it possible to get some more info???
Old 03-28-2002, 10:48   #9 (permalink)
Now boostless :-(

Re: re

I got a brand new Cobra ESD 6700 6 band radar detector for $150. They retail for about $600. I got it from America and bought it over EBAY.
NAPARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 14:18   #10 (permalink)

Re: re

Nice job ben, but i have to say im skeptical.

Pete
Pete84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub