Campaign For Melbourne's Own World Class Drag Racing Facility - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16   #1 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Campaign For Melbourne's Own World Class Drag Racing Facility

Campaign For Melbourne's Own World Class Drag Racing Facility Launched With Gala Function

A gala event to aid the campaign to build a world class drag racing facility in Victoria has been announced for later this year.

DRiVA, the Drag Racing in Victoria Association that has been formed to help secure the track for Melbourne, will host the dinner and celebrity auction at Eden on the Park on Saturday, 16 October.

DRiVA president Neil Hendry said the aim of the event was to raise funds for the campaign.

“Victoria has been without a suitable venue to hold Championship Drag Racing for four years and the purpose of this night is to give a clear signal that a dedicated, world class drag racing facility in Victoria is needed,” Hendry said.

“We hope this night will help us kick start the quest to finance the professional help required to enable the Victorian drag racing community to realise its dream.”

A highlight of the night will be the celebrity auction that includes items donated by local racers and sponsors and rare items donated by a number of the world’s best drag racers from the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series in the United States.

Many of the quarter-mile sport’s stars will be turning out on the night, expected to be amongst them drag racing legend Jim Read, who led a similar campaign in Sydney that culminated in the recent opening of the $25 million Western Sydney International Dragway.

A similar venue, the Kwinana Motorplex, opened in Perth in late 2000, while recent upgrades to Brisbane’s Willowbank Raceway sees it continue to rank as one of the world’s best drag strips. The ACT will also see a world class facility with the ACT Government recently announcing funding for the venue.

Racers and fans alike are invited to share in what promises to be a great night and, with tickets limited, early bookings are encouraged.

Tickets at $125 each can be obtained by phoning Rachel Ratliff on (03) 9758 9883 or Venessa Pintaudi on (03) 9702 0778 while further information on the night can be seen on DRiVA’s website at www.driva.com.au . Information on auction items will also be posted on the DRiVA website.

For further information contact Paul Rogers on 0414 977 521

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 18:25   #2 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Re: Campaign For Melbourne's Own World Class Drag Racing Facility

Mark do you know if this is in reference to an upgrade of Calder or a new facility? Where would a new track be built?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 21:07   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

This is a good thing. ANDRA needs more publicity. Drag Racing is suprisingly small in Australia, there's no TV coverage even. Its a shame, really. I wouldn't know ANDRA existed if I wasn't a Street Machine reader, and even then, I only know Bray and Cowin, no one else...

If ANDRA were something like NHRA popularity wise.. that'd be cool
Old 08-02-2004, 21:26   #4 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Steffo
Drag Racing is suprisingly small in Australia, there's no TV coverage even

Fox Sports. Drag racing is one of the few shows worth watching on cable...

Just another Eseries...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

To bad I've only got free-to-air TV. If I had cable, I'd know of all the motorsport. I did back in the old house when I had cable. Stayed up to 10:30pm Monday nights (against my dads wishes) to watch WRC back then. It may have changed alot though, this was in 2001.
Old 08-02-2004, 21:40   #6 (permalink)

There's usually Aussie drag racing on ch28 on Sunday afternoons.
Check your tv guide for times. I tape it if I'm watching other stuff on ch10.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

That's right - Speedweek on SBS, the last few weeks they have had Winternationals (I think), they have everything from offshore power boats to bikes, speedway, sports sedans, Grand Prix rallies, a real variety.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 00:52   #8 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Mark ! Is this a reference to updating Calder Park or are they trying to get some funding to construct a completely new facility ? It would be a shame if Bob Jane let Calder Park infest with weeds, it just needs some money to be spent on it, it is not too far gone yet.
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:35   #9 (permalink)
rod

Driva is working with A.N.D.R.A. to try to get funding from the Victorian Government to be able to build there own facility, it may be a little difficult to get funding as Vic gov. is commited to the Australian Grand Prix

there has not been any set venue as yet but a few place that have been mentioned are Mornington Peninsula,Warragul or Drouin & Pakenham

a lot of things will need to be concidered before any land is purchased as this will be the largest expence but other thing that will be concidered are noise complaints & restrictions aswell as ease of access & traveling time

regards
rod
Old 08-03-2004, 02:58   #10 (permalink)
walking power

Good luck guys, i guess its one thing we got over here that use dont lol.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub