Can you put a ba engine in an eb falcon? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 21:41   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Can you put a ba engine in an eb falcon?

Hi all im thinking about putting a ba engine in a eb falon, does anyone know if i can use the manual eb gearbox with a ba engine, also i read that the throttle body will need to be changed, anybody done this conversion. thanks
big_arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 22:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Can you put a ba engine in an eb falcon?

Hi, I can at least get you started. I was going to put a BA engine in my 1994 xr6. I did buy the engine and eye it all up. First, while the sump is completely different ( and cast alloy ), it is virtually the same shape as the ef 4ltr engine I compared it to so I dont think there would actually be a fit issue. I think I confirmed that the engine mounts were ok too and it would just bolt in. ( pretty sure but you need to confirm )

The throttle body issue is simply because the BAs use "fly by wire" throttle control. I didn't get far enough to decide what was to be done. ( ie whether to source a BA throttle pedal or convert back to cable operated throttle body )

There may be no decision to make of course - there may be more function to the fly by wire operation than just controlling the position of the throttle body butterfly and I suspect there would be.

ie. The ecu may use either the throttle pedal electronic unit (master if you like) or the throttle body unit (slave ) end to detect throttle position for instance.

As far as the gearbox you would obviously need the correct ECU for the manual. Again I dont know if the ECU needs input from the gearbox or gear selector. ( maybe something as simple as gear position sensor )

The obvious way to be sure of having all you need is to source everything from a complete wrecked car. You can then follow all wiring and other engine support systems and their associated remote components and make sure you get all of it.

It really isn't difficult for an eperienced spanner guy and it would be very worthwhile if performance is what you're after ( I'm sure it is )

The car will definitely be quick because the BA cars are so very much heavier than previous models and the engines significantly more powerful than earlier 4 litre ( including XR6 ) I estimated at the time that an ed with the Barra engine would be at least 220 KG lighter than a BA with the barra engine but probably more like 250KG .

The BA are about 300KG heavier or close to it. Part of the extra weight would of course be in the engine as is always the case when something goes to twin cam / multivavle head but I would be surprised if that accounted for more than 30KG ( probably less )

Anyway that's just an idea of what you need to consider. I'm sure there are guys here who have more detailed knowledge and hopefully they will weigh in with some specific detail and I'd be interested to know as well.

Good luck - I'll keep watching for the result. cheers, gcmc2
gcmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: Can you put a ba engine in an eb falcon?

I am one step closer i bought a eb xr6, i spoke with my mechanic friend who says that the gearbox is unlikely to match up with the engine wich would mean i would have to buy a ba gearbox, they are more expencive than the engine, i read that i would be able to get a mechanical throttlebody if i changed the computer, i like your idea of buying a halfcut, i am currently hunting for a ba or bf falcon that has been hit from behind and is a write off. then i would be able to use the drive by wire and have everthing i need. so if anyone has a nonturbo xr6 ba or bf wich has been written off id be very interested.
big_arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub