Car rental - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2003, 05:37   #1 (permalink)
Dra

confused Car rental

So, hiring a car.
I never thought I'd have to. But I'm gonna have to... and I'm actually looking forward to flogging the ever-loving piss out of a Camry or something similar.
I just have a small (read: Big) problem. I'm 18, on my P's, don't have a credit card and need to travel about 500km's out of a CBD.

Anyway, I'm flying to Brisvegas on the 14th of November and need a car until the 17th to get out to Roma and back. Most places I've checked out on the net (Budget, Red Spot, Pegasus) either have 'Max 150km's out of CBD' or 'Need Certificate of Currency'.
I've asked for a Quote (and even a consideration) from ACE rentals, seeing as they're the only one I've found (in about 30min searching) where the Manager will negotiate terms and consider things on a case basis.

I'll gladly pay excess insurance coverage, and a $1000 cash deposit to be returned when the car is. But I'm yet to recieve an answer.

So can anyone recommend any companies that will hire out to a P-plater? Or anyone that has had some luck in a similar situation to my own?

I never thought it would be this much of a pain in the arse.

Thanks for help in advance.
Dra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 20:51   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Car rental

I'd try smaller independant places. I've never seen anywhere willing to rent to anyone under 21 before tho...

Good luck, I think you'll need it ! From their point of view:
Under 21 = Bad risk
P-Plater = Very Bad Risk
No Credit Card = Bad Risk

I you do manage to get one, make sure you read the insurance clauses very very carefully - if you bend it they quite often ream you out badly. Also I believe in a lot of cases their insurance is null and void if you are doing *anything* illegal at the time. So I'd also think 3 times about fanging it. There have been cases where someone accidentally hit another car when making a turn from a stop sign. Was determined by the police they hadn't 100% stopped, and were breaking the law. Rental companies insurance disappeared and they had a bill for $15k or so . . .

Last edited by XR8 Lamah; 10-22-2003 at 20:59.
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub