Car sales charge - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2002, 16:17   #1 (permalink)

Car sales charge

From the Daily Telegraph

IT'S boom time for the Australian car industry with sales charging towards record levels.

Defying the spectre of rising interest rates, demand for new cars and trucks climbed 8.5 per cent in the first half this year.
Releasing official sales figures for June, the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) said 406,966 new vehicles were retailed in the first six months, the first time above 400,000.

The record first-half result suggested the best full-year figure of 807,669 set in 1998 would also be beaten this year.

The FCAI said demand so far had prompted it to lift its full-year sales forecast to 810,000, a level still considered conservative by some car companies and industry analysts.

In June, 78,781 new vehicles were retailed, a 7.1 per cent improvement on the same month last year.

Toyota was the top selling company last month with 17,037 units, ahead of Holden on 15,657 and Ford on 10,023 .

But on a year-to-date basis Holden was a clear leader on 88,476, compared with 77,554 for Toyota and 52,320 for Ford.

Holden also had its best first half on record, beating its previous best set in 1973.

Its lead over traditional rival Ford was also at an all-time high.

Holden director of sales and marketing Ross McKenzie said he expected the market to remain strong in the second half of 2002.

"The fundamentals are still fairly low interest rates and highly-competitive finance in the car industry," he said.

"You've also still got pretty strong consumer sentiment and business sentiment and I don't believe that any of the broader international issues will have any effect until next year."

Mr McKenzie said the unusual situation of Holden, Ford and Toyota all bringing out new volume-selling models later this year would also continue to stimulate demand.

Toyota said its first-half result was just 682 units short of its best ever in 1999.

"Toyota has experienced significant sales growth right across its range," said senior executive vice president John Conomos.

"It puts Toyota in a stronger position going into the second half of 2002."

In June the top selling car remained the Holden Commodore on 7,548, well ahead of the Ford Falcon on 4,746.

In the medium-car market the Toyota Camry did best with sales reaching 2,911 ahead of Mitsubishi Magna/Verada on 2,648.

But they were both beaten by the top selling small car, the Toyota Corolla, which was snapped up by 3,479 buyers.

Strong results were also reported by the Mazda 323 (1,601), the Holden Astra (2,056) and the Hyundai Accent (2,616) reflecting the hot competition in the small-car sector.

However, the segment really driving the sales increase this year remained light commercial, which was up more than 19 per cent thanks to Australia's continuing love affair with four-wheel-drive recreational vehicles.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2002, 16:44   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Did anyone catch a segment on TV last night comparing Aus new car purchases to those in the States. At least that's what I think it was about, I was preoccupied with the rugrats at the time and only caught it out of the corner of me eye.

I think it said that per head of population new cars sales were;

1 in 20 in USA, and
1 in 200 in Australia!

If that's right then this "boom" is all relative.
Old 07-05-2002, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Thumbs up

Yes Guys, new car sales are up and we in the industry are now being really squeezed on margins for new vehicle purchases.

At the present time (G.M.H.) talk here, we have a situation where the Govt is able to purchase our vehicles and trade them at either 15,000km's or 9 months. They are actually making money on the change over price. Because of this situation a lot more of the Fleet buying public are attempting to do the same and as such we are seeing a lot more low km's on trade in stock. Its very similar to what FORD do with there company vehicles.

Govt do not pay Stamp Duty, can claim GST back, low cost CTP, and receive substantual discounts off the new car purchase.

In our dealership alone we are doing 150 new vehicle units a month. It is getting harder and harder to get stock due to the upcomming release of the VY. All production through to Sept has already been locked in. I suspect its similar at FORD dealers with the upcomming Barra release.

Nipper....
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 01:45   #4 (permalink)
Formerly J-type

I don't think Ford have been doing to well in NZ - they were third overall for June sales.

The Barra can't come soon enough.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub