Car Security - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How would you like new car security improved?
Deadlocks are unsafe for the security benefit they provide 2 15.38%
Deadlock functionality via key removal 1 7.69%
Deadlock functionality via remote closure 4 30.77%
Combination of 2 and 3 6 46.15%
Other options, provide details 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2004, 17:45   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Car Security

Hey all,

After my car got broken into about a month ago I got thinking about the basic security of the BA Falcon. What I was impressed with is that the thief attempted to jam the door lock and turn it with a screwdriver (or similar) however this failed to have any effect. So i'm assuming that the door barrel lock could indeed be electrically code matched to the key and activates a solenoid to elsewhere in the door to manage the lock.

However the thief in question then attempted to smash some of the side windows - well they couldn't break/shatter any of the major ones, however they were able to punch through the little rear quarter window. From there it was easy enough for them to reach in, open the rear door with the internal handle (which activates the electronic door locks).

From there pop open the boot via the split fold seats and then pull on the 'emergency' tab and you have full access to the boot and the rest of the car.

Now the easiest thing I can think to get around this situation is to have a car fitted with deadlocks. Now I know the Holden Statesman have them (my dad's previous car was a '98 statesman, now drives an '01 fairmont) and the way they actuate is via turning the key in the barrel a full 90 degrees and removing the key at that angle.

Now that would be an easy option to follow no doubt - also what about pushing the remote close button on the fob two or three times (so the horn beeps in some pattern to indicate that it is now deadlocked).

Any thoughts about how you would like new car security improved (be realistic, no factory fitted sat tracking and immobilisers that cost $5 a month to run).

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 17:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Car Security

Thats a really good idea, and quite frankly I can't believe that the falcon doesn't use the deadlock. I think it has been on the commodore for a long time now(since the VP/VR days?? or was it VS) I know that the new commodore's aren't like that, but you just push the lock button on the remote two times (like you said) and you can then hear it physically deadlock the door.

Matt
Old 06-21-2004, 18:00   #3 (permalink)
gone

Ian

I like the idea of alarms that actually Phone or page you when activated, I supose thats ok for somebody my size.

Removing the barrel from the drivers door by installing a rear door handle assembly is another trick.

But I supose at the end of the day if your target, there is nothing you can do!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 18:10   #4 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
Ian

I like the idea of alarms that actually Phone or page you when activated, I supose thats ok for somebody my size.

Removing the barrel from the drivers door by installing a rear door handle assembly is another trick.

But I supose at the end of the day if your target, there is nothing you can do!
True true... but the BA glass on the windows is strong (my car is proof, I have chips from where this person had a go) and it took many attempts to shatter the rear quarter as it had to be pushed through (thanks to a security window tint I have it kept the window in one piece).

However once this has happened the car is a free target for the inital thief and then anyone else who wants to have a look see at your car.

Deadlocks would prevent the door then being opened and then stop the thief (or at least 95% of them) from gaining physical access to the car.

The one percenter of thieves that actually have more than two brain cells to rub together are always going to get your car - thats not the problem. What you want to stop is the opportunistic ones gaining access that might just have a sophisticated break and enter item like a rock or screwdriver.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 06-21-2004, 18:47   #5 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

I suppose it wouldn't solve the problem of the larger side windows being broken, but if you don't use your back seat for adult passengers a lot then just activate the childproof locks on the rear doors - that will stop the rear internal handles from opening the door and anyone reaching in through a broken rear quarter window will be left with no reward.

It would only help in specific circumstances, but every little bit counts I guess.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blood

I'm curious as to the persons opinion that considers deadlocks on cars unsafe - do you have a reason for that? Because i'd ask if you had a deadlock on your doors and windows at home?

It would be in my opinion that deadlock functionality would be additional to the regular lock functionality that would allow you to lock your kids in the door when you pop into a 7-11. This would stop people opening the doors from the outside.

Actually this train of thought just got me... I could use the kiddy safe locks as a quasi deadlock for the rear doors.... Still not ideal though.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 06-21-2004, 18:53   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
I suppose it wouldn't solve the problem of the larger side windows being broken, but if you don't use your back seat for adult passengers a lot then just activate the childproof locks on the rear doors - that will stop the rear internal handles from opening the door and anyone reaching in through a broken rear quarter window will be left with no reward.

It would only help in specific circumstances, but every little bit counts I guess.

heh read my post just below yours :)

However those larger side windows are substantially stronger than you might think. They embed into the door frame at the top,sides and bottom which makes them strong. Add in a security window tint to hold the window together, any impact is spread across the window surface and is therefore reduced in severity.

The little quarter windows are the real key as they are only held in place by the rubber seals. In which case the child proof locks would help.

However I think door deadlocks would still be the ideal method because it does not then interfere with getting rear passengers in and out of the car.

* Gearbox (3rd time)
* etc...
Old 06-21-2004, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

If they were available here I'd get at least one AutoTaser. It fits like a steering wheel lock but when someone touches it it emits a piercing shrill. if they don't get the hint within 5 seconds then 50,000 volts does the rest.

Couple of reviews here:
http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/default....bsectionid=692
http://www.b5glx.com/sequoia/autotaser/page_01.htm

Looks like it was discontinued though. Probably some bleeding heart hippies whinged and the soft govt gave in to keep votes. Fact is, if people didn't break into cars they wouldn't have to worry about these things.

Having said that, deadlocks are a bloody great idea. If Holden can have them (and have had them for several years) then so can Ford. Chop chop Mr Tom Gorman!

As minge said, if they want your car, they'll take your car.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!

Last edited by 3Toed; 06-21-2004 at 19:39. Reason: Spelling and general nonsensical English :-(
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 20:53   #9 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
Looks like it was discontinued though. Probably some bleeding heart hippies whinged and the soft govt gave in to keep votes. Fact is, if people didn't break into cars they wouldn't have to worry about these things.
Damn shame that.. Thats the kind of security I want in a car!

I could think of nothing better than zapping 50,000 volts into someone for trying to steal my car!
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 23:11   #10 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Ian, sorry to hear it.
I had Standard Deadlocks on my 1994 GSI Barina, all you did was turn the key 1/2 turn the other way and the barrel opened up and the tumblers fellaway.
They where great.

I cant see how this type of device could be considered dangerouse, mine could only be activated by the Key in the lock, unless you ant to lock someone in the car.
But even then you still had wind down windows.
Holden has hadthem for over 10 years now, its about time Ford caught up.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub