Care For Brand New Paint Job? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2004, 01:04   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Care For Brand New Paint Job?

Hi guys,

As a few of you might know, i am about to get my AU back after a full respray in Galaxy (had to be original colour due to insurance company and repairers being tight arses). The paint on the car was shocking, acid damage on side and roof but general neglect all over due to the car spending 4 years kicking around Darwin and every other car up there opening ther doors into her. Anyway, to get to the point, now that the paint work will be 100% new im after some tips for paint care. Can anyone recommend some products that will keep her looking beautiful and help preserve the paint. I am also a little bit embarrassed to say that i dont know how to wax/polish a car, well not properly anyway. My one attempt was pretty damn average so i decided not to try again. Can anyone give me some tips. Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

Brad
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2004, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

Thumbs up Re: Care For Brand New Paint Job?

"polish" is like for paint that is a bit weathered.. which obviously yours wont be.. "wax" is like a top coat which needs to be applied fairly regularly. My fav brand of wax is Simoniz Liquid Diamond. I guess everyone is going to have their own brand preference but thats mine. You need to give the paint some time to cure properly before you apply ANY product to it. Hopefully the painter will provide some advice on this if not ask... car needs to be completely clean and dirt free before waxing.. never apply wax in the sun no matter what it says on the packet. I always find it works better out of the sun in the garage. Cheese cloth is best for applying and removing wax. you can buy it on big rolls from Repco etc. Otherwise you can buy proper polishing pads as well.
hope this helps...
Old 06-09-2004, 02:11   #3 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Care For Brand New Paint Job?

Seriously mate save a few bob & get it professionally done!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:17   #4 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Seriously mate save a few bob & get it professionally done!!
but then you lose all the satisfaction of saying "I did it myself"
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01   #5 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

/me awaits XR_Strider_GuY's gratuitous Meguiars plug.....

Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:38   #6 (permalink)
XR82GO

I work as a detailer by the way

Galaxy being a dark colour and also that you paint will be new DONT USE ANY CUTTING PRODUCTS they produce swirls.

When i got the car back if it was mine I would.

Polish the whole car with a good quality polish ( I use meguries wet look polymer sealent and havent found anything better yet)

Then apply a good quality wax (Meguries once again for me Gold class wax being my choice)

Try to do a follow up waxing with in a couple of days. and then say once every couple of months.

Washing only use a little bit of a car shampoo (not truck wash crap) Mothers / meguries both make good gentle car shampoos.
Make sure you rinse the car off really well before washing it.
Make sure all sponge's and chamios's are clean when you use them.

And you should be pretty well right.
As for the meguires plug well my ute is proof that it works a treat and so was my old car.
For a pic of the old car look in my gallery

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

I use what Sylox uses, no issues.

I wouldnt personally use a sponge tho, i think they cause more swirls then anything else. I either use a megures mit (which is soft) or a syntheic cloth. (Sponges catch the bits of dirt and create the swirls...

If u want to be really particular have two buckets when washing, one for ur soap and clean water and one to rinse your cloth off in between. When doing the wax get right into it and keep rubbing it with a Meguires Pad (3 - 4 bucks for 2) and then use the cheese cutter cloth to rub it the wax off after it goes hard. It makes the car alot easier to keep clean too if u wax it properly to start with, and i wouldnt pay anyone to PROFESSIONALLY DO IT, coz most buff the ass out of the car and make it look good when you pick it up, after a few washes etc. the swirls appear! Plus its alot cheaper to spend 50 bucks on the products to do it urself, coz they last for ages (except for the pads which should really only be used one the once)!

Meguires Goldclass is good, just as Mothers Hot Wheels. Both are about as good as each other as far as i have seen. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DONT HIT ANY OF THE BLACK BITS WITH THE WAXES OR POLISH. EG THE BLACK BITS AROUND THE MIRRORS AND WINDOW MOULDINGS COZ IT TAKES A BIT OF REPAIRING!!
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:05   #8 (permalink)
gone

www.bowdensown.com
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:25   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Brett your just a lazy Sloth.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:37   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I must say that I am a lazy bugger too. I know detailers at my work, one in particular who will do me a great deal as a homer. For me to go and buy all the stuff that he has, it would cost the amount of 3-4 details. And not only that, I'm abit like BlueAU, I don't have a clue what I am doing either. Let some other prick clean it I say.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub