Career Choice??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2003, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Question Career Choice???

hi guys...(sorry to bore you)
I graduated high school last year and I'm currently working at Woolworths as a Retail Worker, the problem is, this is basically a dead end job and the money is really bad.
I don't know what to do for a career, I always wanted to be in the IT industry, but have lost interst now and the fact my mate with 2 years experience couldn't find a job in Perth disturbed me a bit.
I'm now considering the Australian Defence Force, to be precise the Air Force. I have talked to a couple of guys and they say that they enjoy it and the money is great. I have visited the Air Force job website http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/AIRFORCE/ and I would be quite interested in the job of "Communication & Info System Controller (Air Force, Non Tech)" as it still involves computers & communications (this interests me).
If I was to join the AirForce I would probably wait untill I'm 18 - which would be in October, (even though I could join now at 17) as the war would probably be over and I will have tossed a few things up in my mind.
I'm so confused at the moment and I wouldn't have a clue what I'm going to do, opinions and replys would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.
Mason.

PS: Sorry to make you fall alseep at your PC.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2003, 14:21   #2 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

The military is always a good option, drop into the local recruiting office and have a good chat to them.

One thing you can guarantee is you will get very good training.

Just keep in mind that the military do get involved in conflicts and you may have to do something like that. It's unlikely in the sort of role you are looking at but as long as you consider it. I was in the RNZAF during the last Gulf War and the number of people saying they didn't join up for this when my squadron deployed to the Gulf was surprising.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 00:02   #3 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Thanks Brendan, any other opinions guys?
Old 03-23-2003, 00:49   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

If you can stick it out and live through the experience and don't get too screwed-up by what you have to see or do I reckon you can't go wrong with a military background.

There a quite a few X-military types that have come into my organisation (BHP) and they are top blokes with the right attitude and good sense, they walk into good positions and enjoy well deserved respect.

If I had my time-over I would certainly give it some thought and often suggest it to young guys who really don't know what they want to do. It gives you many options later on. Airforce would be my pick too.

I say go for it.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

As someone who's about to go in to the army reserve, bare in mind it takes AGES to get in, especially the good jobs.

I started the joining process back in april last year. I got in as full time rifleman, with medical pending, in June. I cleared up my medical stuff in January and got it all sorted, faxed the doctor's certs through. Soon after that I decided to change to part time rifleman, based on the fact my mate, who started the proscess at the same time as me, was told he'd be waiting til julyish to get in. It's a joke really. So I had my interview for reserve rifleman about a month ago, I'm still waiting. Thank god I'm not going for full time, I'd probably still be waiting in a years time.

HOPEFULLY I'll be out of here within a month so I can get back from basic, get a job and get some money for a car.

Just a word of warning, but I'd still recomend you go for it. Everyone I've talked to loves it.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:21   #6 (permalink)
gone

There a re a couple of guys here that could give you advice, couple of mates are ex army, best thing they ever did was join up.

You just got to be able to hack the physical side of things, but the training, support and beer drinking is 2nd to none!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:25   #7 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho chicken
As someone who's about to go in to the army reserve, bare in mind it takes AGES to get in, especially the good jobs.
Hmmm strange my mate joined and he got in (the army) basically straight away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Laminge
There a re a couple of guys here that could give you advice, couple of mates are ex army, best thing they ever did was join up.
I was talking to Tim (Zantetsuken) and he was EXTREMELY helpfull, he was very positive about the AirForce and recommended it. Every one I have talked to so far has been very positive.

The AirForce is looking pretty good but I will wait untill around October before i decide as I may have an apprenticeship as an Electrician by then.

Cheers
Mason.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:37   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah, it varies from job to job really. Another mate got in pretty much right away for officer training, yet us riflemen are sitting around waiting and waiting.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

If it's any help, I am in the I.T. Industry, and it bloody SUX.

I think the army/airforce would be so much more exciting and interesting! you would also be able to do computer/i.t. related stuff anyhow!
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Yea mate i guess with the job of: "Communication & Info System Controller (Air Force, Non Tech)". Iwould have the best of both worlds.
Was wondering if any more guys in the AirForce/Army/Navy had any comments?
Cheers
Mason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub