Chevy Caprice? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2001, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
Caffeine

Question Chevy Caprice?

Now, my friend plans to get a 90's Caprice thinking its some sort of muscle car monster that will destroy anything that gets in his way. I can't talk him out of it no matter how hard I try. Apparently he's got some sort of big car fetish (perhaps to make up for smaller parts of his anatomy )

I know the earlier 90's models came with 5.0L V8s, 170 HP.
Then came the 4.7L V8 w/ 200 HP.

Despite this cars weight, should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2001, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
Got Boost?

I would say you wouldn't have to worry. Its a familly car, show im some boost when he test drives the car, and then he'll realize it
Old 12-24-2001, 14:14   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

haha

Ok take a look at my car.

where shall I start. The caprice depnding on the year came with the following engines

5.7L 260hp
5L 190hp
4.3L 170hp

Now because the car itself my weigh in at a little over 2 tons does not mean it is in itself slow.

Most of these cars came with the 3.08's or better gearing. If he has a 9c1 package it will have a better suspension then that of the regular caprice. If it is an SS it will have damn good suspension, 5.7L LT1 leather interior....a few other perks.

I can tell you that the Caprice with the LT1 will run high 14's low 15's stock. The L99 cars will run mid to high 14's

A few bolt ons and either can get into the low to mid 13's and still cary 5 comfortably. A few inner engine details ie cam, springs, rockers and a few bolt ons you can hit the mid 12's. Stroke it out and get some head work look at low 12's high 11's. Throw nitrous or a charger kit on it and well you can hit 10's easy and still cruise at 170mph with 5 adults in comfort.

I can tell you that it is the perfect sleeper car. It is also good if you are in a wreck besides the sheetmetal and solid frame you have tons of room interior wise. A friend has flipped his end over end at 120 and walked out with only a broken collar bone.

You also have to look at this as a challenge. How in the hell can anyone take 2.5 tons of car and make it move so damn fast. Anyone and everyone can make a camaro, mustang, Firebird, etc go fast, but to take a caprice that is a "family" sedan and make it blow the doors off of some Mustang or similar car takes talent.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 20:06   #4 (permalink)
Caffeine

I went with my buddy today to test drive a 1991 Caprice Classic. Now, it road like a dream, and the leather seats were incredibly comfortable!

But, being the sports car fanatic that I am, I just can't get over how massive it is. Its way too big for my taste

It had the 305 5.0 liter V8, but it was still a dog. The take off was pitiful, but once it got up to speed it was alright. All in all, it was comfy as hell, but it wasn't quick, but this is family sedan here.

I guess our rivalry starts here. Whatever model he gets (LT1 or regular) he probably won't mod the car too much. He talks about all these insanely expensive mods, and even dropping a 5 (or 6)speed in the thing. He's out of his mind, he doesn't even make that kind of money. He can't even get around to buying an K&N or even changing his spark plugs let alone mod a car.

He just really wants a Caprice or a Caprice cop car. Now, when asking around dealerships for used police cars, most people just say "Why do you want a used cop car? They are beat to hell." Cops drive hard, and after seeing most of the ones for sale with like 200K, it kind of makes me wonder how long they will last.

Then again my friends Chevy lasted 250K
Old 12-29-2001, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

well i can tell you that the 91's are dog. But that is my opinion. I know that the l99's are a pos. Personally do not like them. There are somthings that he will want to know.

1. The l99 will not have power.
2. The 305 if that is what it is is not powerful either.
3. The mods for the LT1 are reasonable to some extent, but to get power out of the engine you are gonna have to do more than slap on a filter.
4. Make sure that he is getting what he is getting. If it is an excop car you can find out from what precinct and get the service records on it. That is something that he will want to do FOR SURE!
5. IF he has any questions he can email me or go to my site. admin@gmforums.com and www.gmforums.com or he can also go to impalassforum.com that site is very good. There is also 9c1.com i would look into everything before stepping up and buying a used 9c1 or caprice.

Some are passing the used caprices of as 9c1's one way to tell is if they have the green hoses. Also there is a digit in the vin. I can get that later and post it.

That is just some of the things to watch out for and to keep an eye out for.
Old 12-29-2001, 23:26   #6 (permalink)
Big Poppa

My one friend LOVES huge ass boats of cars.... he loves old Cadillacs and late 70s Lincolns and LTDs.... The closest thing he has now is an International Travel-All.... Ill never understand!
83, 89, 93 Mustangs- (Bye Bye), 1988 Ranger XLT- (Also gone)
NOPOC
fiveliter302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 02:24   #7 (permalink)
goooone

I rented a Caprice while on holiday in the states & hated it, the suspension & steering was aweful I thought I was going to be sea sick we would hit a bump & the car would wobble for the next minute. We actually had 2 because we umm wrote one off on ice & they were both as bad. Oops lucky we had insurance
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:16   #8 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Well I can tell you that the stock Caprice has a cushy suspension. When you get into the 9c1 or the Impala SS variants of the cars then you are getting a MUCH better suspension not something that fells like you are on a cloud.

Trust me ifyou drove my Impala Prior to my autox suspension going in you would have noticed a difference. Drive in it now and you will Definately notice the difference.

While we are on the lines of CLoud cars. I rented a Lincoln Continental whilst i was in PA and i can tell you that car is a cloud car. I too had insurance on it. No Ice but i smacked a wall. Burned up one tire rippedout most of the crap intake system on it etc. I can tell you that taking a corner in my impala when stock was a lot better than taking the corner in the Continental. I rented a Ford Taurus and had the same experience in it. I was scared to drive it over 80 on the freeway for fear of floating off.
Old 12-30-2001, 14:59   #9 (permalink)
goooone

Yeh in my experience almost all Seppo cars were overly cushy even basic Australian cars are set up a bit more for handling over ride.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Caffeine

The suspension was nice, but that aquatic effect will only be soothing for so long. After ahwile it will feel like a leather couch floating in the ocean :sick:

As for the information passed regarding Caprices, I will make sure not to tell him.

This is a rivalry, remember?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub