Codemasters new game - a MUST read!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2001, 00:16   #1 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Codemasters new game - a MUST read!!

http://www.mgon.com/previews.phtml?id=99481&language=en

... how good is it!!! And something that brought a tear to my eye when I read it..

Quote:
The only major name missing is Mark Skaife as he has signed a deal with another company and won’t be appearing in Race Driver as a result
:D :D :D :thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2001, 00:24   #2 (permalink)

I don't know how I will be able to live with myself:D
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Rail Rider

You know how the HYL car has EA Sport sponsership thats where Skaife put his name too. EA are putting out an Australian only racing game, can't remember what they will call it though.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Owner Of Tommy Turbo

Albert, one of my mates sent me the url for the news page re: the EA sports AVESCO and its 'exclusive rights'. I can't find the pagenow, but I'll ask my mate again. Maybe they lost the rights and Codemasters got it. CM would do a better job anyway. In addition, anybody seen Motorcity? A Need For Speed Extension where you can sell, swap, race for pink slips, build and modify you car online. And im pretty sure you can use anycar including the XR's,GT and TVE supercar. www.motorcityonline.com .
saleen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

saleen1 - yeah I've been looking out for this one for some time now.. the only downside is that they decided to go with only US muscle cars between the 1930's to the 70's.. ie. no Falcon GT's!! Seems a bit restrictive to me.. the old Stangs would be ok, but a bit of variety never hurt anyone!!!
Old 09-10-2001, 02:12   #6 (permalink)
Owner Of Tommy Turbo

Yeh mate, thats cause its only the beta version. The full version will allow all cars from all the nfs series and also custom made cars that pass unlike the rocket powered mclaren f1 that some clown was using on Need For Speed High Stakes one night. He couldn't evn steer the bastard, lol. Once again, im trying to find the article i got sent. BTW, if anyone else has need for speed, I would be more than happy to meet you online for a race or 2.
saleen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 02:27   #7 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

That friggen link spawns another web page that tries to download something to your machine, and then sends something out from it again by not giving you a shut-down x and making you click on a link at the bottom of the page to close it.

Be very suspicious of this web page link everyone.

Other than that, the content was very interesting, and I'll post it here to stop people from hitting that page:

Codemasters Race Driver
Coming from Australia you cannot even begin to claim that you are a petrol head if you don’t sit yourself down in front of the TV and worship the Mt Panorama circuit during the annual Bathurst brawl between the big capacity V8s. However before long you’ll be able to indulge in the race experience at your own leisure as Codemasters, the people behind the excellent TOCA and World Touring Car games, are busily developing a V8 touring car game especially for specific regions.

Other formulas to be included in the race are the German DTM series and the good old battle in ‘blighty’ between the two-liter shopping trolleys that is the BTCC.

In Australia the game is to be called V8 Supercar Race Driver and it will feature almost all of the drivers in the current AVESCO V8 Supercar Shell Championship Australian championship. The only major name missing is Mark Skaife as he has signed a deal with another company and won’t be appearing in Race Driver as a result.

However all of the other major Australian teams will be included, and Codemasters are going to great lengths to model the cars correctly and get the sound right. Indeed having visited the Codemasters studio it is interesting to note just how popular our formula and in particular Bathurst is with the English. Gavin Raeburn, one of the key development heads responsible for the game, is keen to point out that many of the team working on the game feel that our Aussie formula represents the best touring car troupe in the world.

As Gavin says, “The Australian touring cars sound better, the competition is more hotly contested with many more drivers vying for top spot and most of all the Australian races seem more exciting. You also have the craziest circuit in the world at Bathurst. These factors all make it likely that the Australian version of the game will be one of our best efforts.”

However don’t expect the game to be an entirely predictable romp with a few races to enter and then you win the championship. Instead Codemasters are looking to make the gameworld a lot more immersive and believable by introducing a plot and giving you a role to play in the narrative as you race your way through the professional ranks and eventually go door handle to doorhandle with the cream of the crop in the tin tops.

You will be able to play the game as Ryan McCane and will be involved in the unfolding story which will see your role in the formula change as you get more competitive and gain the respect of your peers. There will be an instant action mode as well, but the story driven career mode is certainly an interesting idea.

A major factor in this part of the game is the use of key characters to give you a sense of belonging to a team. You won’t just be forced to select a car from a menu and go into a race. Instead in the narrative driven game you’ll regularly chat with your crew chief who will be helpful by providing driving tips and keeping you abreast on what is happening in the broader world of racing.

There will also be a full functional three-dimensional adventure style element to the game instead of a simple 2D menu where you select your car. Instead you’ll have an office and talk to other people from your desk.

You will begin humbly, but will be keen on getting an offer from a professional Australian touring car team. However you might not choose to take the first offer you get, as you may want to improve your on track results, in the hope that a more lucrative deal will come across your desk.

Also on top of the specific regional formulas there will be a ‘world’ competition in the V8 class at least (and possibly for the other formulas too).

There will also be pit stops and computer controlled drivers will make mistakes mid corner, use different lines depending of whether they are trying to out brake your or draft around a corner.

Even though they were very successful with their previous touring car games, Codemasters have developed a totally new physics engine and damage model for this latest effort. The developers have broken the car down into cube, or crumple zones in an effort to more realistically model handling dynamics as well as damage and deformation data. The team have also calculated the weight and power of each engine in each car, with the engine actually driving the wheels in the virtual vehicles.

Fans of the old digital steering approach will be chastened to hear that there will only be an analogue control option. However this approach really represents the way of the future so perhaps you ‘on / off’ digital heads will have to stick to playing Mario Kart on your Super Nintendos or join the rest of us and use a proportional steering method.

Wind tunnel data is also being used to properly model high-speed aerodynamics. V8 Supercar Race Driver will see you racing on other famous Australian tracks like Calder, Phillip Island, Adelaide, and the crowded Canberra circuit. There will also be popular European tracks too.

The work is progressing nicely and when MGON looked in on the development team during a recent trip to Codemasters we were impressed with what we saw. There was a rudimentary physics engine in place with a boxy test car travelling along the track well enough. The guys were also watching replay after replay of last year’s Bathurst race. Character art was also progressing nicely and the trackside garages had a lot of detail too.

The game won’t be released until next year, but given its pedigree it would be likely that it is a sure fire hit when it pops the clutch and races your way.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 22:56   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Damn that was a big post!!! :D
puts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 22:11   #9 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Quote:
Originally posted by saleen1
Yeh mate, thats cause its only the beta version. The full version will allow all cars from all the nfs series and also custom made cars that pass unlike the rocket powered mclaren f1 that some clown was using on Need For Speed High Stakes one night. He couldn't evn steer the bastard, lol. Once again, im trying to find the article i got sent. BTW, if anyone else has need for speed, I would be more than happy to meet you online for a race or 2.

I happen to be a BETA tester for MCO. So far EA will add more cars and parts as the game goes along in final release, so we may see some Aussie cars yet.

It will only ever contain cars from the 30's to 70's though.

-------------------------------------

CM might have the exclusive to the V8 Supercars through AVESCO but there is nothing stopping EA from indvidually obtaing rights to cars, teams, driver, tracks and stuff.
Old 09-11-2001, 23:04   #10 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

I don't think that removing the keyboard option is a very sensible move. This will wipe out a substantial percentage of people who would want to try this game out before buying it AND a wheel.

Perhaps if they provide mouse support - as horrible as that might sound - it might keep the non-wheel type people happy.

But I can't agree with cutting out support for anything other than a wheel. That seems like a suicide approach to me. Even if I have a wheel myself.....

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub