Commodore VTII Vs Falcon AUII - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 15:10   #1 (permalink)
aufalcon.com

Commodore VTII Vs Falcon AUII

I have been thinking latly and was wondering if you all could give me your honest opinions on this. I have been (have someone) looking for a AU2 for a while now and want something soon. What are your opinions on the VT2 Commodore, the Pro's, the Con's of the Commodore VT2 Vs the Falcon AU2. What would you rather buy? and why? Which would have better driveability? fuel economy? etc. Tell me everything and anything you know. Thanks.
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Re: Commodore VTII Vs Falcon AUII

Well, AUII is meant to compete with VX.. they were released around the same time..
I'd rather buy an AUII for a few reasons.. the obvious one is its a Ford. But let me get more to the point:
Its a more refined vehicle
More reliable vehicle
Newer
Hasn't got oil consumption problems.. which were at their peak with the early LS1 cars (ie: VTII)

Generally a freidnlier thing to live with day to day. The only drawback to the Ford, for some, is the styling. I quite like the AU though.. I can't see what everyone was complaining about.
Old 07-27-2004, 23:48   #3 (permalink)
aufalcon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well, AUII is meant to compete with VX.. they were released around the same time..
I'd rather buy an AUII for a few reasons.. the obvious one is its a Ford. But let me get more to the point:
Its a more refined vehicle
More reliable vehicle
Newer
Hasn't got oil consumption problems.. which were at their peak with the early LS1 cars (ie: VTII)

Generally a freidnlier thing to live with day to day. The only drawback to the Ford, for some, is the styling. I quite like the AU though.. I can't see what everyone was complaining about.
How bad was their oil consumption?
Old 07-28-2004, 00:25   #4 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Depends if you want a V8 or a V6/Straight Six.

Personally id get the AUII, they were a bit better finished off then the VTII, had more power, better gearbox and also a better driving position. Another good thing about the AU II is that it will probarly be a bit cheaper.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 00:36   #5 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford FPV
How bad was their oil consumption?
Not as bad as sometimes made out around here. You'll always find a few lemons with models - as if Fords haven't had problems with waterpumps and radiator systems before.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

VT definately has the advantage over looks. The AU2 definately gained some ground but for most ppl is still lagging. Style and fuel economy prob were the biggest drawbacks with the AU. Probs with brakes not being decent enough a size were fixed by the AU2.

VT autos weren't the smoothest of transmissions.... Insurance generally speaking is higher on a commodore.

I'd prefer the Ford. I can honestly say that working part time with a road service providing company that there are definately more commies breaking down than falcons on a day to day basis.

I guess we really need some more info on what model in particular you're looking at buying and what use it is for an accurate and fair comparison.
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 00:59   #7 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

I'll try and keep this objective in general terms across the range:

*VT is easier to step into and out of compared to the AU's, but once you've gotten used to getting into an AU that's fine;

*VT front passenger legroom and front seat travel is greater than that in the AU;

*VT fuel tank is larger at 75 litres compared to 68 in the AU;

*VT had fully electrically adjustable front seats across the range;

*Split folding 60-40 rear seats in AU;

*Wheel mounted cruise & stereo controls on AU, Commodore didn't see this until VX model;

*Superior IRS setup in the AU;

*AUII interior in warm charcoal guise is a great improvement over the cheap plasticky interior of the VTII;

*VT had more of a wrap around cocoon like feeling about the interior as opposed to a more spacious homely interior in AUII warm charcoal guise;

*VTII with a GenIII LS1, yes some had oil issues, but honestly, ones that didn't were a gem;

*AUII - Late Edition 220 Kw Windsor combined with the IRS in XR8 form was also a gem;

*I6 in the AUII is well balanced and comes up with the kW and the torque figures as opposed to the carried over Ecotec V6 in the VT;

Driveability: - extract from trueblueford website

Steering

In comparison to what they had driven, many who were used to front wheel drive levels of steering or that of early Holden's / current Commodores mistook the VT's dulled steering response in combination with it's defective IRS as added stability. This was in stark contrast to most media drivers who having sampled the best the world had to offer, found the AU's steering rewardingly responsive with just the required amount of feedback built in. Those in the know used comments like 'wooden' and 'un-communicative' about the VT's steering - in comparison they spoke highly of that included in the AU often speaking of it's 'liveliness' and accuracy.

No need to ask which I would pick - mine's essentially an AUII with a few Ford/Tickford excuses thrown in to make it AUIII.

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
aufalcon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV TURBO
Depends if you want a V8 or a V6/Straight Six.

Personally id get the AUII, they were a bit better finished off then the VTII, had more power, better gearbox and also a better driving position. Another good thing about the AU II is that it will probarly be a bit cheaper.
If i went the AU2 it'd be the striaght 6 and if I went VT2 it would be a V6. How much more power did the AU2 forte have over the VT2 Executive? Forgot to mention it will be an auto transmission.
The VT's/VX's have kept a better resale value havent they? over the AU's. How much of a difference is there because I don't have a great knowledge of the VT's resale since i've always been looking at just Falcons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_au
Not as bad as sometimes made out around here. You'll always find a few lemons with models - as if Fords haven't had problems with waterpumps and radiator systems before.
That'd be true, no car is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
VT definately has the advantage over looks. The AU2 definately gained some ground but for most ppl is still lagging. Style and fuel economy prob were the biggest drawbacks with the AU. Probs with brakes not being decent enough a size were fixed by the AU2.

VT autos weren't the smoothest of transmissions.... Insurance generally speaking is higher on a commodore.

I'd prefer the Ford. I can honestly say that working part time with a road service providing company that there are definately more commies breaking down than falcons on a day to day basis.

I guess we really need some more info on what model in particular you're looking at buying and what use it is for an accurate and fair comparison.
I agree, the VT with a body kit does still look nice, but so does an AU, just the VT a bit better, to my eyes, than the AU, especially the front end.

I thought that I had read more than once that the AU fuel economy was pretty good? Anyone what what it's like in the VT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse
I'll try and keep this objective in general terms across the range:

*VT is easier to step into and out of compared to the AU's, but once you've gotten used to getting into an AU that's fine;

*VT front passenger legroom and front seat travel is greater than that in the AU;

*VT fuel tank is larger at 75 litres compared to 68 in the AU;

*VT had fully electrically adjustable front seats across the range;

*Split folding 60-40 rear seats in AU;

*Wheel mounted cruise & stereo controls on AU, Commodore didn't see this until VX model;

*Superior IRS setup in the AU;

*AUII interior in warm charcoal guise is a great improvement over the cheap plasticky interior of the VTII;

*VT had more of a wrap around cocoon like feeling about the interior as opposed to a more spacious homely interior in AUII warm charcoal guise;

*VTII with a GenIII LS1, yes some had oil issues, but honestly, ones that didn't were a gem;

*AUII - Late Edition 220 Kw Windsor combined with the IRS in XR8 form was also a gem;

*I6 in the AUII is well balanced and comes up with the kW and the torque figures as opposed to the carried over Ecotec V6 in the VT;

Driveability: - extract from trueblueford website

Steering

In comparison to what they had driven, many who were used to front wheel drive levels of steering or that of early Holden's / current Commodores mistook the VT's dulled steering response in combination with it's defective IRS as added stability. This was in stark contrast to most media drivers who having sampled the best the world had to offer, found the AU's steering rewardingly responsive with just the required amount of feedback built in. Those in the know used comments like 'wooden' and 'un-communicative' about the VT's steering - in comparison they spoke highly of that included in the AU often speaking of it's 'liveliness' and accuracy.

No need to ask which I would pick - mine's essentially an AUII with a few Ford/Tickford excuses thrown in to make it AUIII.
Yes, I have gotten into an AU at work and I did hit my head on it, thought that was pretty crap, its too low at the front, but as you said, it shouldn't be too bad after getting used to it. The front seat travel being better sounds good to me, as i'll barely ever be sittin in the rear passenger seats and the electricaly adjustable seats sounds good to me.

Doesn't the VT have a split rear seat? Does the AU2 have an electric aerial like the VT does? Also the Cruise and Stereo buttons on the streering wheel, they would only be there if you had bought a futura or something higher than a forte since the forte didnt have cruise?

So the AU2 will have a much nicer ride, less bumby than the VT?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:51   #9 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

The first v8 vt commodores all used heaps of oil.They used more oil than petrol..I have seen this many times over and over again and engines had to be rebuilt time and time again !!But on the flipside I think for a v8 the AU didnt feel that quick.The interior of the vx commodore was very cramped,uncomfortable and bulky ..especially for legroom.By comparison the AUIII had a dashboard which scratched to easily and the six stack cd player was a bastard to remove ,unlike the single sack.Also the VX had mobile phone wiring provided in it .The AU III was not prefiited with mobile phone wiring and a pain in the ass to install aphone to.The VX commodore has a bracket which requires no holes.The AU phone holder requires you drill a 1 inch hles for phone wiring plus3screws into the console.After rain both cars drop water on the driver when he opens the door...bad design on both..The au falcon apparently cannot have full adjustments of steering and suspension angles.The holden commodore became well known for its plastic body moulds falling off .The AU falcon station wagon electric tailgate dissengaes power to the switch after a couple of minutes..so if you lock your keys in the back your stranded!!!Im not sure about the commodore ...but the falcon you cant check transmission fluid levels with a dipstik ..cause there isnt one.Apart from that theyre a great car!!
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:57   #10 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

AUII Ford Falcon Forte 4.0L made 157kW and 357Nm. VTII Holden Commodore Executive 3.8L made 152kW and 305Nm. The ECOTEC V6 was proclaimed the Worst Engine ever Made in 2002... and the taxi industry has proven this to be the case. Falcon 4.0L cabs do 1,000,000km with the original engine... I haven't yet heard of a Commodore 3.8L cab that did over 400,000km on its original motor..

Forte vs Executive? Forte wins, no contest. VTII only betters AUII when you get into HSV vs Tickford stuff, and even then, its marginal. I myself would much rather a 220kW AUII TE50 then a 300kW VTII GTS300.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub