Computer Guru's Please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 05:41   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Computer Guru's Please!

Im trying to connect my PC to the Laptop to beable to share files. I want to use a direct cable connection for a start using the printer ports.
The PC has Win XP Pro and the Laptop Win2k. I have them both plugged in. The cable I used was just one I had lying around. Has 25 pin D plugs on both ends.
On the Win 2K computer I can setup incomming calls and direct connection calls but on the XP computer I can only set up dirrect connection only. no incomming.The XP computer dials and then starts verifying the username and pass but hangs and says couldnt complete connection. Both computers have the same protocols and services installed.

Are the cables different? Are cables ment to be on one type of port or the other as in one for Parrallel and one for serial?
What else could I be doing wrong?
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2003, 06:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Computer Guru's Please!

you probably have to be running same o/s on both pc and laptop . and you will need a network cable and network card on your pc .
XR8MICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

ok well for one if your connecting parallel you don't need your computer to dial at all and it shouldn't need any password.
you need to add a modem as a direct cable connection on lpt1 and setup Dial up networking to work.
However connecting this way is stupidly slow.
Your laptop most likly has a network plug so do this.
Get a CROSSOVER network cable.
make sure both computers have a network plug (a PCI network card for your desktop should only be about $25 if it doesn't have the plug.
Connect the computers using the crossover cable (it must be this type normal cat 5 network cable won't work with direct connections)
then to make life easy on your self set manual ip address's by clicking the right hand mouse button on the network icon near the clock (will appear when the cable is connected and both computers are on) then go to properties on the tcp/ip tab and set an ip address here is a good example:
set pc1 as 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the other computer with the ip of 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
Make sure both computer are in the same subnet (ie the first 3 octects or sections are exactly the same)
then simply share the folders you want to copy.
To do this right click on the folder and select sharing and security you will then beable to share that folder.
Then wait a few minutes for the computers to replicate and share info and the computers and the shared files will appear in the network places section.
Provided nothings been mucked with they will both be in the "workgroup" folder in networks.
Then your done it's exactly like copying from one folder to another.
Your LPT1 port connection will be a pain in the ass and suck so do it my way.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:10   #4 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Go with carazy suggestion. Get some crossover cable 2 network cards (PCI) and set ur IP addresses on each machine (network properties) and you should be able to connect. Remember to access each one of the computers on the network to have the same account on each PC makes the permissions a lot easier to deal with.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Sweet, The laptop doesnt have a dedicated network port but it does have one of those credit card type things that pushes in the side. Itll do the same thing right? Ill need to get some sort of plug to go with it.
Old 08-05-2003, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Do you have a USB port on both computers? If so just get a USB mini drive, a 128mb costs around $70. All you have to do is plug it in and store your files, and pull it out and load files onto the other computer. I would suggest you install XP on BOTH computers.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 18:57   #7 (permalink)

the Laptop would have a PC Card slot (PCMCIA) which you can use to insert a network card.
not sure what these are worth, should be able to pick one up for cheap.
if you do that you can connect the laptop and PC up via Network and things are much nicer and faster that way :D
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 19:30   #8 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

Re: Re: Computer Guru's Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
set pc1 as 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and the other computer with the ip of 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0.
This should read:

set pc1 as 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
and pc2 as 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0

And don't install XP on both computers, for starters it may not be suitable for the computers intended use and windows 2000 is much more stable.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: Re: Computer Guru's Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
the Laptop would have a PC Card slot (PCMCIA) which you can use to insert a network card.
not sure what these are worth, should be able to pick one up for cheap.
if you do that you can connect the laptop and PC up via Network and things are much nicer and faster that way :D
Yeah I have one of them. But no cable or anything. My PC doesnt have any network card. I only really wanted to hook em together for a start to avoid spending cash (read short hands deep pockets). We did it when I was about 12 in the days of 486's using direct cable connection and using the serial ports. I think that the cable is ok because it is off my old scanner and it worked off the parrallel port. I do remember something about serial and parrallel cables being wired different.
Old 08-05-2003, 20:02   #10 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

OK getting the shits now.

So Ill need one of these for the PC:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH7985

And one of these to connect the 2:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH3295
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub