Computer Guys please help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 05:52   #1 (permalink)

Computer Guys please help

My MSN homepage is hijacked and here is what it looks like
any help is appreciated.
Greg

Pics here
http://public.fotki.com/gmack24/computer/
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2004, 06:48   #2 (permalink)
Da Da Dadada HEY dadadada

Re: Computer Guys please help

Get spybot search and destroy, adaware and run both of those. This one takes a little knowledge but.... go to START then RUN type msconfig, (press enter) go to the startup tab and untick anything that you think shouldn't be there. Do the first two first and only do the last one if that hasn't solved your problem. Before launching your browser again go to control panel, internet explorer and change your homepage back.
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:35   #3 (permalink)

I would run regedit not msconfig. By unselecting it from the start programs it is still in your computer, it just doesn't launch @ start up.
Go, start bar . run regedit
go to HKEY CURRENT USER then SOFTWARE & delete adware & gainware programs (commonly from Gaitor inc)
After that go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE then SOFTWARE & do the same.
Don't delete random stuff just cos it sounds suss though or you'll bugger your PC up.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:13   #4 (permalink)
Da Da Dadada HEY dadadada

Yeah, but regedit is alot more risky to do if you don't know what you're doing. The msconfig way, you can always put it back.
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32   #5 (permalink)

I will give it a shot when I get home thanks !
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 15:33   #6 (permalink)
Proud Aussie Girl!

Are you sure that you haven't changed your default browser by accident.
Do all your windows come up like that or just the MSN one?
Before mucking around with your registry or using DOS commands, go to Start, All Programs, Set Program Access and Defaults (which should be up the very top). Then click Custom and have a look at what your default web browser is. If Internet Explorer doesn't have the circle filled next to it, click on it then on OK and your problem should be fixed.
Hopefully it's something as easy as that. Good Luck!
LuvinmyEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Kill the Playboy Bunny!!

rofl, that's MSN Explorer, not Internet Explorer! Not spyware or adware. MSN Explorer is the biggest piece of S#%$, go to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Personally I would go and download Mozilla Firefox from www.mozilla.org, but if you don't want to, just use Internet Explorer. Select Internet Explorer from the start menu, a box will come up saying do you want it tobe your default browser. Click yes, and all fixed!
Old 12-21-2004, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Proud Aussie Girl!

roll Re: Computer Guys please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
rofl, that's MSN Explorer, not Internet Explorer! Not spyware or adware. MSN Explorer is the biggest piece of S#%$, go to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Personally I would go and download Mozilla Firefox from www.mozilla.org, but if you don't want to, just use Internet Explorer. Select Internet Explorer from the start menu, a box will come up saying do you want it tobe your default browser. Click yes, and all fixed!
Selekta, have a look at post number 6.

If someone's preference is to use MSN Explorer there really is no need to go jumping down their throats and telling them what they should and shouldn't be using and to uninstall the program is there?
To each their own, and if you had a look at the last two pics, he was previously using I.E.
Stop, read through the posts, think and then post.
LuvinmyEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Selekta, have a look at post number 6.

If someone's preference is to use MSN Explorer there really is no need to go jumping down their throats and telling them what they should and shouldn't be using and to uninstall the program is there?
To each their own, and if you had a look at the last two pics, he was previously using I.E.
Stop, read through the posts, think and then post.
I don't think his preference is MSN Explorer or else he wouldn't be asking for help.

I agree with some of the others - uninstall MSN Explorer, then find and run Internet Explorer (it should ask if you want IE to be the default browser again).

Oh and Seleka wasn't jumping down anyone's throat. MSN Explorer is probably a pile of s**t and that's why nobody I've ever known uses it. He wasn't being personal.

Take your own advice Stop, read through the posts, think and then post.
1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:44   #10 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

just do a system restore back a few days to when it was working properly, then get a virus cleaner to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub