CPU Talk - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2001, 04:03   #1 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

CPU Talk

Thought a new thread mite be in order.You guys came up with some good points.I also read where AMD had been testing good.What about the price fall of the P4. I admit a tendancy to want to stick to intel but have heard this stuff a fair bit lately about AMD
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2001, 04:07   #2 (permalink)

I work with a computer geek that that always said the same thing. Never see me with anything other then intel ! Want to guess what his new PC is running?
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I can guess but it always used to be a price issue but it seems that may not be the case soon.As DK pointed out if there is big change soon on the P4 then upgradability mite be an issue.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:12   #4 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I had one of the first AMD's and it was a bit dodgy, I swore I'd never go back but now I've changed my mind.
The P4 might have dropped in price but the AMD is still cheaper, that and the RAM for the Intel is still hugely expensive.
You also need a case with special bracing in it so that the Heatsink for the P4 doesn't crush the CPU and Motherboard because it is so big and heavy. It has to be to be able to deal with the heat pumped out by the P4 :eek:
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:13   #5 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Intel have really had a considerable decline in sales in the states which has triggered this price drop. I if they still cant match or beat AMDs price, then I don't see any reason to go for Intel anymore! Intel seem to experiment with m/board, memory, and CPU architectures, but when they realise these designs can't cut it, they revert back to what they had. What happens to the people that have brought the new designs, there stuck, forced to replace motherboards and chips if they want to upgrade. AMD have been consistant with their design and have got the most out of their CPU, BUS and memory architectures.

So BBF, is this primarily for gaming:?:
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:14   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Surely the AMD will run into the heat issue as well when it's clockspeed climbs to P4 levels.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Just remembered that the Intel needs a special PSU with an extra power input to feed the Voltage hungry CPU.

BBF, just the opposite I heard that AMD were close to having succesfully developing an 1.5ghz CPU that doesn't need a heatsink/fan at all, although this might not be true the curent Thunderbird architecture looks set to continue until 2003!. The heat pumped out by a CPU depends mainly on the Voltage that is required to be pumped through it to make it run stably, in the case of the P4 this is massive.
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:21   #8 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Jem: The PC won't only be used for gaming but the grunt is intended for that use.As I said my connection to the internet sucks for online gaming but it's totally free and on a good nite can still foot it with others.I'm hoping the networks will improve over time.I do still love UT but am setting up Counterstrike .Burning if you know what i mean.I'm not rushing into a new PC but mine is showing it's age.PII 266 .TNT2.My reflexes have to be real sharp to compete.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
gone

I've been running Gateways amd 1000 for over 6 months now, Damm if I am ever going to buy anything but a AMD :D
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:26   #10 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

It wasn't that long ago i heard bad stories about AMD but now it all seems good .Amazing how things change.Just look at VOODOO cards and NVIDIA .Voodoo's were hot now they are gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub