Cronje Dies In Plane Crash - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2002, 08:37   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Thumbs down Cronje Dies In Plane Crash

Former South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje has been killed in a plane crash.

The 32-year-old was on board a plane which crashed into a mountain in South Africa's Western Cape province.

The ex-international star - who was banned from cricket over match-fixing and corruption - was on board a cargo plane flying from Johannesburg to the town of George.

It is reported that the plane could not land on its initial approach to the airport in George due to poor weather conditions.

Bodies

The aircraft was forced to circle the landing area and crashed in the rugged Outeniqua mountains during its second overhead pass.

Three people are believed to have been on board, and South Africa's sports ministry confirmed that Cronje had been killed in the accident.

Emergency services have so far been unable to reach the isolated crash scene, but three bodies have been spotted from the air by rescue helicopters.

Cronje's brother Frans earlier told reporters: "Yes, it's true. It was raining and they crashed into the side of a mountain."

Banned

South African Sports Ministry spokesman Graham Abrahams said: "We have heard the news, we are still trying to recover. It's a shock."

Cronje was banned from cricket for life by the United Cricket Board of South Africa, a move endorsed by the International Cricket Council, after admitting to taking money to fix matches involving South Africa.

In August last year he vowed to stay in South Africa and make up for his "mistake".

But on October 17 last year he failed in a bid to overturn the lifelong ban on playing - although he was allowed to pursue a limited career in coaching and the media.

R.I.P Hansie Cronje
FPRXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2002, 03:41   #2 (permalink)

Hanse was a great cricketer.

Hanse Cronje was at least honest and admitted being bribed however the same cannot be said for Warny and Mark Waugh and others not to mention Chapelli back in the 70's. He was the poor fellow who bore the brunt of the ICC for his honesty. Then they made the finding that all corruption was removed from Cricket as soon as Cronje was banned. Biggest load of Horseshit since Peter Brock and the Polariser. Hell I love knocking Peter Brock, he' such a wanker.

Grandpa Henry
Grandpa Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 04:27   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: Hanse was a great cricketer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandpa Henry
Hanse Cronje was at least honest and admitted being bribed however the same cannot be said for Warny and Mark Waugh and others not to mention Chapelli back in the 70's. He was the poor fellow who bore the brunt of the ICC for his honesty. Then they made the finding that all corruption was removed from Cricket as soon as Cronje was banned. Biggest load of Horseshit since Peter Brock and the Polariser. Hell I love knocking Peter Brock, he' such a wanker.
Warny and waugh ay? And as for brocky, I reckon he's the only genuine holden guy out there.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:08   #4 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Poor Hansie. He suffered the consequences of his actions when most others did not. He was a scapegoat in many respects. I was shocked to hear the news of his death. I'll remember him for the great brand of cricket he played. RIP Hansie.
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It realy sh!ts me when media start with "The disgrased" One F*ck up and they bury him,forgetting the good he's done for HIS country,nothing about winning the world cup. R.I.P Hansie
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:25   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ebxr8240
It realy sh!ts me when media start with "The disgrased" One F*ck up and they bury him,forgetting the good he's done for HIS country,nothing about winning the world cup. R.I.P Hansie
ABSALUTELY! yes you did some bad things, but don't we all from time to time. you did a hell of a lot more good than most of us ever will. RIP Hansie, i for one, will remember you for the good things you did.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
newxr8

I also will remember Cronje for the great cricketer that he once was. I was hoping that he would eventually be allowed to play again to show his great talents. South African cricket team has not been the same without him. RIP Hansie!
Old 06-03-2002, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
Australian EL Wagon Member

All you can say is 'The damn media' :-(
Old 06-03-2002, 20:35   #9 (permalink)

Have to agree DC. Though he got caught (for only $100,000) any chance he had to put it behind him and recover his name was totally thwarted by the western media.

Azharrudin and Malik don't get the same exposure cause the controls are tighter on the media in India and Pakistan.

He was the man who helped rebuild and reunite SA cricket with the rest of the world and led them to be one of the toughest playing nations. He could have been one of the great coaches or administrators with a mind and talent like his but in the end could not even coach kids. And he was only 32, such a waste.

RIP
AJ's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 22:46   #10 (permalink)

Did you hear that the South Africans are having trouble cremating Hansie?

They can't find anyone to throw the match...

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub