Cruise Control contributing to deaths on Vic roads?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 19:16   #1 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Cruise Control contributing to deaths on Vic roads??

I just read an article about cruise control, and one journalist's view (Ewan Kennedy) that cruise control, combined with speed limits that are "frequently too low and which are being policed to a rediculously tough extent", are possibly one of the reasons that fatalities are up across Victoria, with a 20% increase in Melbourne alone.

It seems some drivers use their cruise control in suburban traffic to keep under the speed limit. He also felt that the extra deaths on the road in Victoria was due "to the way traffic is bunching up and the amount of time drivers are spending with their eyes off the road checking their speeodometerers. But it looks like the overuse of cruise controls in inappropriate situations may be playing a part as well".

It seems over enforcement may have a negative impact on the number of fatalities, which the Vic Government fails to realise.

What do you think??
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 07:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cruise Control contributing to deaths on Vic roads??

If you eliminate everything in the world which has been blamed for causing too many deaths, you would be left with absolutely nothing... this of course would be another factor causing death as nothing, would not provide the essential needs to live- which can also cause death. Did you follow any of that? (It's late)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:46   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

I often use cruise around town to stay out of trouble. Places like Morris Rd in Hoppers Crossing which has a stupid 60kph limit, is a camera hot spot, and is always taken at 70kph by other cars yet got get flashed. It has saved me from a fine a few times however I rather not have to use it as it does have its kisks.
So yes, the overzelous enforcment is actually causing new dangers and deaths.

But then again, Bracks and co DGAF so long as the revenue keeps rolling in to prop up their pathetic policies.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:48   #4 (permalink)

I do follow that chevy power. I also reckon that the number of deaths on the road is actually falling when measured as a percentage against the ever increasing number of licenced drivers.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:53   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR
I do follow that chevy power. I also reckon that the number of deaths on the road is actually falling when measured as a percentage against the ever increasing number of licenced drivers.
But how huch of that is due to enforcement and how much is due to the massive increase in passive and active safety equipement in modern cars. You have to remember that airbags, crumple zones etc are now it the majority of all cars on the road.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 15:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR
He also felt that the extra deaths on the road in Victoria was due "to the way traffic is bunching up and the amount of time drivers are spending with their eyes off the road checking their speeodometerers.
I think he's onto something here. I had an experience early this year on the Eastern freeway where I was caught in such a bunch. It was mid morning so we're not talking peak hour traffic. I was cruising along in light rainy conditions and I became aware I was slowly being boxed in. I found myself following a truck, another car up my clacker and a truck behind him. The lanes either side of me had traffic and we were all doing virtually the exact same speed, maybe just a few km/k variation across all of us. I was boxed in and impossible to change lanes and with all these other cars in close proximity I remember thinking this is f*cking dangerous and the paranoia levels started to rise. I got out of it by gradually taking my speed down by around 5km/h and waited for the guy behind me to overtake. The cars in the left lane started moving ahead of my car as well and created a gap I could change lanes into. After that I was in clear road.

Like I said, it was bloody dangerous and took a bit of thought and delicate manouvering to get out of the situation. I can see how this situation can lead to a big accident.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 17:31   #7 (permalink)

This week Queensland dropped the Ipswich Motorway speed limit down to 90km/hr from 100km/hr.

Why ? because it will stop accidents and save lives.
If this is true ? why is Europe INCREASING their speed limits for the same reason??? Italy went to 160km/hr.
Don't the fukwits who run these depts, drive. ???
Old 12-09-2004, 17:47   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
But how huch of that is due to enforcement and how much is due to the massive increase in passive and active safety equipement in modern cars. You have to remember that airbags, crumple zones etc are now it the majority of all cars on the road.
Hard to say. How many accidents are actually reported? Insurance companies dont seem to relase facts on accidents where saftey equipment was deployed (airbags, etc) States and Territories only release figures for either scare campaigns or if it makes it look like they are doing something right.

Here in the ACT, the number of rear enders went up when they introduced the redlight/speed cameras at a number of intersections. So it could be taken that the increase in acccidents in those areas was due to enforcement...
Old 12-09-2004, 18:05   #9 (permalink)

Both the state governments and the police have shown that they are willing to sacrifice lives to make money. There is no one to stop them.
lizardmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

With cruise control on, you have less to worry about and more time to take in the traffic around you, I find it so much easier to stay more aware of what is happening around me with cruise set then not, I really fail to see how it can contribute (unless you fell asleep of course) to accidents, when if you hit the brake it cancels, or you can cancel it any time.

I find alot of the time i have it set lower due to someone slowing and speeding who doesnt have cruise, they are doing 90-105, i set it on 92, all evens out and I can watch them and the road and NOT my speedo.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub